[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Windshield tint strip advice
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Windshield tint strip advice

Windshield tint strip advice

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey guys, I am taking the Solara in to get my left brakelight retinted because it bubbled pretty bad in one spot by the turn signal bubble (shop is doing it for free). I am also having them put in a strip of tint on my windshield.

How dark should I have the strip? My current tint all around is 32% with 15% put over that. This mathematically equals less than 5% of tint but it seems slightly lighter than 5% (or I am just getting used to it). Should I get the strip in 5% or 15%? Also, should I have a curved strip or a straight one? And should I try going below the AS1 line? In FL, as long as the strip is above the AS1 line and is "transparent" it is legal. And how should I deal with the dot matrix near the rear view mirror?
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Windshield tint strip advice

Postby SoSleek » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:12 pm

I got 10% and it was PERFECT. I got it about 1.5" below the AS1 line and had them cut it the same distance from the top of the windshield all the way across. So really it was cut in a curved line but it looked straight with the top of the windsheild. The other way looks wack if they just line up a straight cut piece of vinyl across your window it will bow down on the outsides.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Windshield tint strip advice

Postby wkbrdr91 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 am

I ended up going with 5% (I have 5% on all the other windows, and already had the stock windshield tint strip so at the top part of it you almost literally cant see out, but it fades to be less and less dark till it hits the 5%). The bottom of the windshield tint is at the bottom of the rear view mirror mount and is straight cut with about a 4 inch angle at both ends which looks really good.

The guy ended up doing it for free for me. I have gone to him for many things (rear vinyl strip, tint brakelightrs, and now this) and this time he asked about my dashcam and so I played him a clip from it and he recognized my friends Camaro (who I had told to get the tint done at this place) and he goes "oh I just did that camaro a couple weeks ago", I told him that I actually told her to go there so when I went to pay he was just like "oh your fine don't worry about it". :D
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades