[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Resealing Headlights
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Resealing Headlights

Resealing Headlights

Postby thenewguy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm about to get into the project of blacking out the housings of my headlights . And I have a few questions about the job after I saw all the DIYS..

Can I just org open the headlights? Or is it better to throw them in the oven?
What kind of adhesive do I use to reseal them to prevent any future condensation?
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Resealing Headlights

Postby parkc96 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:55 am

deff use an oven otherwise you will break the lights. with my clear corners they were leaking. for re-sealing i just bought a small bottle of 100% clear silicone thats made for going around windows and stuff (like 5 bucks at oreilly's) worked perfect no more leaks, and unless you really look you dont even know its there since i wiped all the excess off.

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby thenewguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 pm

How long and how hot should I put them in for?

Thanks for the reply

-thenewguy
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby parkc96 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:35 pm

i personally have never opened up any of my lights so cant tell you. i just had to seal my one front corner because it wasnt properly sealed and when i washed it it got some moisture in. i have heard 250 degrees for 10 minutes i think? i dont know for sure you will need to ask someone else on that one.

2000 camry 4 cylinder: rims, tint, spoiler, head unit, partially debadged, custom catback, custom grille... more to come.
parkc96
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:12 pm

i used a heat gun a lot of people say dont use a heat gun, blah blah blah, but i dont give a fu*k i did. and it worked just fine. i used clear silicone to seal em up too.
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby ThatVietGuy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:40 pm

viewtopic.php?t=21365&highlight=black+housed+headlights

Used the same method in the DIY and it worked fine.

Sealing, just use whatever park suggested.
ThatVietGuy
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby thenewguy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. Ill post pics of the after math once I'm done with them.
thenewguy
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby k-0tik » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:49 pm

ToyoSolV6 wrote:i used a heat gun a lot of people say dont use a heat gun, blah blah blah, but i dont give a fu*k i did. and it worked just fine. i used clear silicone to seal em up too.

^Same here.
k-0tik
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby NewShockerGuy » Mon May 14, 2012 7:24 am

Put them in the oven at 265 degrees for 15 mins.

Take them out and then use a heat gun... work a little, then put them back in the oven for about 10 more mins... keep repeating process.

Don't use silicon to reseal them. Use butyl tape to reseal them. It's easier when you want to re-open them and it's not a pain in the ass to use and it doesn't get everywhere like silcon will.

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades