[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - NST Crank Pulleys
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

NST Crank Pulleys

NST Crank Pulleys

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:14 pm

Does anyone know much about the NST pulley kit? My friend has some for his tC that he never installed that he is willing to get rid of. He also has the belt that goes with it. Has anyone done this or have an opinion on it or the install?
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: NST Crank Pulleys

Postby Smaay » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:24 pm

it probably wont fit, and if its undampened, you take a chance on your oil pump exploding
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm

Smaay wrote:it probably wont fit, and if its undampened, you take a chance on your oil pump exploding

Why won't it fit? It is the same engine.

Also, it is undampened but I have read that the dampener fails within 2,000 miles anyways, or quicker in extreme conditions (I live in FL so the car is regularly at 100+ degrees when it is off lol).
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ACProductions » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Don't underestimate the damage a undamped crank pulley can do. There is a natural harmonic imbalance in your I4 engines, that left unchecked, can causes extreme crank/thrust bearing damage over time. The gains are minimal and not worth it in my opinion unless you've already exhausted all other avenues with your motor. No offense intended but I rate these things as applicably worthless as a dry sump oil system.

That said, it's your car.
FREE CHILTON MANUAL

The speed at which a woman says "nothing" when you ask her what's wrong is inversely proportional to the size of the coming storm.

ACProductions
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

I am just trying to understand everything, don't take what I say as "arguing" with you, I am just bringing up stuff I have read. Many tC owners have over 100k miles on their engines with undampened pulleys with no issues. Everyone on the forums seems to warn about the pulleys yet nobody has had any issues. The engine is internally balanced which I have read means it is ok to do an undampened pulley, if it were an externally balanced engine it would be a different story.

I want more out of my engine but there isn't too many options for us. I have the Injen intake, and have been searching for years for someone willing to sell me their used TRD exhaust (non local because everyone seems to be in CA) but nobody is willing. I am completely open to more options, I just don't want to drop money turbocharging the car when it is an auto.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades