[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 1mz VVTI swap
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

1mz VVTI swap

1mz VVTI swap

Postby sk8r776 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:06 pm

So idk who knows this but the 'Lara blew up. Seems a piston ring was bad causing oil to burn excessively. Ignored it for too long and it caused the motor to knock..

We have gone out and bought an '03 Avalon XL to swap the motor from, only to learn it is a VVTi 1MZ. Mine is a non-VVTi 1MZ. So my issue is, The intake of the VVTi has no EGR the PCMs are different. And none of the wiring harness that came out with the VVTi motor connect to the solara.

My next thought was, Block oil passages that should disable VVTi, swap the non-VVTi heads onto this VVTi block and this should allow me to use the old PCM to make it simple.

I need to know how to block said oil passages. I have heard it mentioned here but no one explained it. (at least not that i can remember)

Any help would be appreciated guys!!

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
Hid Conversion 8K + 3K, Injen SRI, GLP CAI extension, Lots more to come.
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: 1mz VVTI swap

Postby Bostonlara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Should of searched a little bit before posting

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54072

This for a 3mz but the harness should be the same minus an extra camshaft sensor and water neck sensor. Don't hook up the vvt solenoid s and that will disable the vvt

There is modding involved so either you gotta get your hands dirty or return the engine
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sk8r776 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm

So there is no need to block the oil passages off?

Getting hands dirty is no big deal. But returning the motor is impossible.

'93 Civic LX --> '02 Accord SE 5-Speed --> '01 Solara SE 5-Speed --> '06 350z Base Rev-UP

Mods
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Correct, no blocking of oil passages. The cams will default to the normal duration. Just don't take off the vvti solenoids, not sure what will happen but it will leave the plunger for vvti exposed. I personally cut the harness clips off the sensor myself just cus.
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sk8r776 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:28 am

Cool TY for the info. :D

Mods
sk8r776
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm

what you can use is the entire engine and just use your harness. you might have to change the water fill neck. you will see a gain in power because of the larger throttle body and i believe the VVT 1MZ cams are a little more aggressive. you will use only the front cam position sensor and thats about it.

if you can, i would take the engine back and get a 3MZ and do what i did, you will have a HUGE boost in power
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Smaay wrote:what you can use is the entire engine and just use your harness. you might have to change the water fill neck. you will see a gain in power because of the larger throttle body and i believe the VVT 1MZ cams are a little more aggressive. you will use only the front cam position sensor and thats about it.

if you can, i would take the engine back and get a 3MZ and do what i did, you will have a HUGE boost in power

got my 3MZ, just about done :infinity:
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades