[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Help Deciding on audio Components...
Talk about audio, video and nav installations and applications.

Help Deciding on audio Components...

Help Deciding on audio Components...

Postby BadAngel » Tue May 18, 2010 10:20 am

Alright, some of you might already know the deal with my setup, but in case you don't let me go through a quick overview.

I've got a Premier head unit (model is irrelevant, as i need sub advice), an alpine SWS-1043D Sub-woofer, and an alpine MRD-M605 mono amplifier powering it.
I decided that its time for a bass upgrade, so I'm thinking of getting rid of my one sub and replacing it with two Alpine SWS-1023D subs.
I have some concerns as to the range of these subs, and how well they will sound coupled with the my amp (power wise, it should be no problem).
Any input or suggestions as to a different brand or a different model or anything you guys want to through out there is greatly appreciated! (I like alpine tho lol).

Amplifier is 600 watts RMS (something like 900 or 1000 max)

1023D sub specs:
Power Handling

* Power Range: 50 - 300 Watts
* RMS Power Handling: 300 Watts
* Peak Power Handling: 900 Watts

General

* Frequency Response: 30Hz - 700Hz

-Rob
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Help Deciding on audio Components...

Postby SoSleek » Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Post your budget and head unit model please.
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue May 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Ohh and since you will be going from 1 10" to 2 10"s I would imagine you are looking for a new box? Ported or Sealed?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BadAngel » Tue May 18, 2010 5:40 pm

Pioneer premier FH-P800BT

Specs:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... 00BT?tab=B

Don't worry about budget
INGEN SRI, TRD Springs RSB & FSTB, KYB GR-2 struts, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Tinted Tails & Fogs,Black Housing Headlights, 8000K HID's, Custom Upper & Lower grilles.
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 am

We'll my question about budget was to see if you have room to buy another amplifier. The two Alpine SWS-1023D subs would be a perfect match for your MRD-M605. You would be running exactly 150w RMS per voice coil (300 RMS per sub) which is the highest that is recommended. For the money ($120) I think the SWS-1023D's are a decent woofer. BUT, I would actually suggest getting one JL Audio 10W6v2-D4 and running it off your MRD-M605.

Now if budget is not an issue this is what you will want. One JL Audio 10W7-3 and one JL Audio Slash v2 Series 1000/1v2. You would be shaking the doors off your Solara. It all comes down to how much money you want to invest, and how loud u want to be.

BTW I asked about your headunit for only one reason, and that is your Subwoofer Preamp output...which is 4v. Definitely no need for upgrade there! If you more have questions about this just let me know. Also if you decide on anything of this hit me up and I will help you tune it all.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BadAngel » Wed May 19, 2010 9:38 am

Yeah I deff need to re-tune everything... ahahah and Honestly I dont really feel like getting a new amplifier... soooo yeah
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed May 19, 2010 11:54 am

Then get the JL w6 man in a 1 cu ft sealed enclosure...it will SLAM! promise! and hit me up when you get it in and I will help you tune so you are getting the max out of it!

BOOM BOOM BOOM!

JL Audio 10w6v2-d4
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 pm

PS: one JL w6 weighs as much as 2 Alpine Type-S Subs :D
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BadAngel » Wed May 19, 2010 5:01 pm

yeah but will it really kick as hard?
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Wed May 19, 2010 7:18 pm

HARDER!
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 pm

buy a swr-1243d... the NEW Type-R that will waste a W6 hands down.
ive heard it and have one (1223d dual two ohm version)

toss the type R into a ported box and people will think you have two
tens in the back. It will hit hard and hit low if you make the Alpine
specd box.

or get the mrd-m2000 amp. 2000wRMS for and two type-Rs ported
that will eat any JL equipment out there. note for note. period.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby BadAngel » Thu May 20, 2010 12:24 am

Damn you guys are really making this decision hard...
BadAngel
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Thu May 20, 2010 6:56 am

Aotoyota wrote:buy a swr-1243d... the NEW Type-R that will waste a W6 hands down.
ive heard it and have one (1223d dual two ohm version)

toss the type R into a ported box and people will think you have two
specd box.

or get the mrd-m2000 amp. 2000wRMS for and two type-Rs ported
that will eat any JL equipment out there. note for note. period.

I 100% disagree with everything that was said here.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Thu May 20, 2010 7:45 am

Aotoyota wrote:buy a swr-1243d... the NEW Type-R that will waste a W6 hands down.

In what aspect? As far as SPL it might hit just a tad harder on a good day, but that tad difference would be blown out of the water by the sound quality of the w6. If you know anything about SQL you will not even attempt to argue this.

Aotoyota wrote:ive heard it and have one (1223d dual two ohm version)

I would like to know how many watts and at what load you are running yours. Also what type of box?

Aotoyota wrote:toss the type R into a ported box and people will think you have two
specd box.
You're taking a driver that is already known for bad sound quality and throwing it in a ported box. Please be advised, this will sound like air floppin out yer ass crack.

Aotoyota wrote:or get the mrd-m2000 amp. 2000wRMS for and two type-Rs ported

Yes, do this!!! feed 1000w to a driver that requires 600w RMS max! That would be really cool for about 2 weeks until you need a new pair!!! and the strain from a 2000w system on your alt and battery would be perfect because then you could replace those too!

Aotoyota wrote:that will eat any JL equipment out there. note for note. period.

I'm going to put this as my signature on caraudio.com because it's just halarious! Can I quote you?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Fri May 21, 2010 6:08 am

SoSleek wrote:

In what aspect? As far as SPL it might hit just a tad harder on a good day, but that tad difference would be blown out of the water by the sound quality of the w6. If you know anything about SQL you will not even attempt to argue this.

Aotoyota wrote:ive heard it and have one (1223d dual two ohm version)

I would like to know how many watts and at what load you are running yours. Also what type of box?

Aotoyota wrote:toss the type R into a ported box and people will think you have two
specd box.
You're taking a driver that is already known for bad sound quality and throwing it in a ported box. Please be advised, this will sound like air floppin out yer ass crack.

Aotoyota wrote:or get the mrd-m2000 amp. 2000wRMS for and two type-Rs ported

Yes, do this!!! feed 1000w to a driver that requires 600w RMS max! That would be really cool for about 2 weeks until you need a new pair!!! and the strain from a 2000w system on your alt and battery would be perfect because then you could replace those too!

Aotoyota wrote:that will eat any JL equipment out there. note for note. period.

I'm going to put this as my signature on caraudio.com because it's just halarious! Can I quote you?

so my only question here is.. have you heard them, and maybe if I posted this first on caraudio.com you would have agreed?
I agree that the W6 is a great subwoofer but the new type-R will win hands down. and me? I have a PDX-M12 in about a .8 cu ft
fiberglass box.

This is a totally new design, I was skeptical at first but I was pleasantly surprised.
Try doing some homework on the sub before you start talking bad about something you DON'T
have any experience with. I dont know any company that will openly post Klippel reports on their
subwoofers.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-1043d/

and if you are are a person who listens to subwoofers based on t/s parameters, look into the Xmax of 20mm vs 16mm on
the W6. And for those who aren't an audio junkie. Xmas it the amount of travel a cone can travel can go in one direction
more the cone can travel, the cleaner the output before distortion.

so thats my two cents. Im not one to argue, but audio forum junkies who pass judgement based on what
others say need to be set straight.

plus, what's your system in your car? Please share.
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Next

Return to Audio/Video/Navigation