[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Alternative Switched Power for Stereo?
Talk about audio, video and nav installations and applications.

Alternative Switched Power for Stereo?

Alternative Switched Power for Stereo?

Postby YoungDonDraper » Mon May 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Hey all,

My aftermarket JVC DVD unit started losing power intermittently a while back. After some investigation, I realized that the 12v switched power cord was losing current, and eventually failed entirely.

Rather than rip the whole dash apart to try to figure out why (unless anyone has had this happen before and has some advice), I'm wondering if there's an easier alternative to power the stereo. Is there another wire in that area of the dash that would be easy to tap into, but could handle the power requirements of a DVD player?

I know the cigarette lighter is switched, but I'm not sure if it could handle the power required to run the head unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.
YoungDonDraper
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Alternative Switched Power for Stereo?

Postby crispone » Mon May 09, 2011 2:19 pm

YoungDonDraper wrote:Hey all,

My aftermarket JVC DVD unit started losing power intermittently a while back. After some investigation, I realized that the 12v switched power cord was losing current, and eventually failed entirely.

Rather than rip the whole dash apart to try to figure out why (unless anyone has had this happen before and has some advice), I'm wondering if there's an easier alternative to power the stereo. Is there another wire in that area of the dash that would be easy to tap into, but could handle the power requirements of a DVD player?

I know the cigarette lighter is switched, but I'm not sure if it could handle the power required to run the head unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Assuming the issue is JUST the power lead... (and not some INTERNAL intermittent current/circuit issue...)

What is the rated CURRENT DRAW in amperes for your head unit? (Checking the in-line FUSE would be a good hint... i.e.: If it is a 5amp, 7.5amp or 10amp fuse, etc...) Also, it is not generally the DVD "feature" on the head unit, but the SPEAKER AMP portion that dictate the ultimate current draw. If you don't know the fused link rating or specified current draw for the unit, do you know the TOTAL WATTAGE (RMS) that the unit is rated at?

Take your total WATTS "P" from below and divide by VOLTS "V" and you will get AMPS "I" or "current" draw. Add about 20% more or so for "headroom" under max-draw conditions, and that should tell you your current NEED for the H/U. Then check your FUSE for the cig lighter. If it is AT or ABOVE that level, tap that line.

Simple Answer is just to know two formulas

Ohm's Law
V = IR

Power
P = IV

From those you can calculate voltage, amps, watts, ohms

V = Voltage (volts)
I = Current (amps or amperes)
R = Resistance (ohm's)
P = Power (watts)

Good luck!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Re: Alternative Switched Power for Stereo?

Postby Budd81 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Mine didnt work at all when i got my camry
I just spiced into the cigerette lighter plug
been working great for 4 years now
99 Camry V6 5-speed S/C'd
Budd81
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Audio/Video/Navigation