[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Radiator Flush (Changing Coolant)
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Radiator Flush (Changing Coolant)

Postby bassthrive » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:28 am

I took my old coolant to the local lube station.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby Jai_Jai_Binks » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:02 pm

MrMikeL wrote:What's the proper way to dispose of old coolant??

I take my old coolant (in a milk gallon plastic jug) to walmart tire&lube express. They usually have a barrell in the rear that accepts oils/solvants for disposal (read and dump it right)..and they have a barrell for the containers once you've pored your liquids to be dumped. For me, they are open 24/7 and its easy..so do your part and dump it right.
Jai_Jai_Binks
Desi SolaraGuy
Desi SolaraGuy

Postby s15lara » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:42 pm

i know that this is prob. gonna sound kinda dumb, but would i be able to use the prestone (green) antifreeze? let me know cuz im in the middle of doing the flush right now and i bought the green. let me know guys....help.
s15lara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby onefiend » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:11 pm

solara_supra_hopeful wrote:i know that this is prob. gonna sound kinda dumb, but would i be able to use the prestone (green) antifreeze? let me know cuz im in the middle of doing the flush right now and i bought the green. let me know guys....help.

You can, but would you want to? If you have no choice but to use the green just make sure you flush all the red coolant out.
onefiend
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby s15lara » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:20 pm

ok, i dont know what just happened, but the water is starting to foam up from the top cap. is that normal? i dont know what happened. and why is it that its not taking as much water as when i first drained it? let me know.
s15lara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby noodlerooney » Tue May 17, 2005 11:20 am

For the V6 engine coolant block drain, the front bank block drain plug was mentioned but don't forget the block drain plug for the rear bank, it's located on the ERG cooler, follow the two silver pipes down from the ERG valve to the EGR cooler, it's a plug, loosen it but don't lose it. There is a little spigot that protrudes from where the bolt screws in, slip a rubber tube on it and route to drain container. This plug can be easily seen from under the vehicle.
Last edited by noodlerooney on Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:05 am, edited 6 times in total.
2000 SLE Flame Red Metallic, Charcoal Leather Interior, Loaded
15,001 miles, Garage Queen
noodlerooney
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Solorange » Wed May 18, 2005 1:43 pm

We dont have to take out the thermostat to get a complete flush??? And your directions dont say to empty the coolant out of the block. We dont have to do that either?
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SolaraT » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:38 pm

Just did mine and it was sooo easy. I could not find any other drain other then the white one on the bottom right of the radiator. Is there any other drain I need to be aware of?
I flushed three times, all with the heat blasting and simply let the engine run for 10 minutes each time.

I think I killed my battery because now the car does not start like it used to. It hesitates a tad to long until it starts. I think that was due to me leaving the radio on loud while the engine was off. No amps just a good loud headunit.

O well. At least I am FLUSHED! LOL
SolaraT
Solaraguy need mo power guy

Postby JAYDEE23 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:03 pm

use at your own risk..this is based off info i gathered

READ READ READ READ READ

listen poeple there are some things you are missing..causing premature falure of your waterpump might be the result as 65/35 is the lowest you can go safely with water/coolant mixture

if you do the flush as listed in the first post and fill the car w/ 50/50 then your end result will be 25 coolant / 75 water..why? because half of the coolant is retained in the block

also you can do a COMPLETE flush without draining the block. the first post doesnt leave you with a complete flush either

also you do not have to remove thermostat to get a complete flush!

also always use distilled water!

that said

drain radiator. close white cap and fill with garden hose

when the water reaches top start car w/ heat on full

open white plug again

keep filling radiator as it goes down ..as long as your heat is full blast the thermostat will stay open and your block will get flushed also.

do this till water run clear.system clean!

start addin distilled water. i add a gallon to flush the system of the tap water. after you add a gallon shut off car and let remaining water drain

close white plug

exact coolant capacity is 2.4 gallons throughout the whole system

add exactly 1.2 gallons now of straight unmixed coolant. if the system needs anymore addition in the system add distilled water.

fill resevoir w/ premixed coolant 50/50

thats iT ! full flush and guarenteed 50/50 mix runinng through your car's veins!
JAYDEE23
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SolaraT » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:49 pm

That is pretty much what the Haynes manual says except I refuse to keep my engine running and heat blasting while I am flushing/filling. If anything that will risk messing up the water pump.

Just me. Definatly not something I want to risk.
SolaraT

Postby JAYDEE23 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:39 am

no risk that i am aware of?

you stand over the open radiator fill cap and slowly add water while it is running out of the bottom

system is always full

if you let the system fully drain which takes about 2-3 minutes running then yeah that is no good but you dont have to be skilled at anything to keep topping off the radiatior.

your choice..you will have to remove the thermostat however to do a complete flush if you do not want to let her run while filling
JAYDEE23
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby frohboy33 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:47 am

add exactly 1.2 gallons now of straight unmixed coolant. if the system needs anymore addition in the system add distilled water.

thats iT ! full flush and guarenteed 50/50 mix runinng through your car's veins!

Maybe im just not understanding this, but how is this a 50/50 mix?
Matt
2003 Solara SE
I4 75,000 miles
TRD kit
frohboy33
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraT » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:26 am

What about the pre-mixed solution? Prestone 50/50 premix is already diluted with the proper amount of water.
SolaraT

Postby frohboy33 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:11 am

How is this a 50% solution??? I'm still confused how it can be.
Matt
2003 Solara SE
I4 75,000 miles
TRD kit
frohboy33
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SolaraTRD_Edition » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 am

frohboy33 wrote:

How is this a 50% solution??? I'm still confused how it can be.

He mentioned total capacity is at 2.4 (total mixture)

When refilling, add 1.2 of pure coolant in. The remaining room left is 1.2 of distilled water.

So... 1.2 plus 1.2 equals 2.4 (Half pure coolant, half water)

And in the resvior, 50/50 mix... So there is no change in mixing ration.

Hope that helps
:drinking:

so, my question is, just to make sure... I don't have to remove the plug to drain the block? All I need to do is run the heat and engine while flushing with the hose, and that will clear the block?

Thanks.
Jimmy~ :D
I'm kinda a noob~
SolaraTRD_Edition
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5