[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Bypassing the factory amp in the JBL system.
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Bypassing the factory amp in the JBL system.

Bypassing the factory amp in the JBL system.

Postby cam2Xrunner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:28 pm

If you have a camry/solara with the JBL system, then your car has an external amp that is mounted behind the glovebox. Not sure if this applies to the gen2 solara or not. If you want to install an aftermarket CD player you are going to want to bypass that amp and use the new CD players onboard amp.

This is very easy to do and doesn't require any special tools.

First thing I always do is disconnect the battery.

Removing the old headunit. To remove the factory headunit you will need to take out the ashtray as well as the ciggarette lighter. Once you have the ashtray out stick your hand in the spot where the ashtray was and pull hard on that. That will release the bottom part of the trim. Once that is detached you will resume detaching the trim by pulling it from the bottom and working your way up. It's pretty easy and you shouldn't have a problem. If you have an automatic it might be easier to put the shifter in low gear(parking brake on too)

Once you have the trim removed from the dash disconnect the power wires for the cig. lighter and set trim aside.

There will be four bolts holding in the brackets that the headunit is mounted to. They are 10mm if I recall correctly. You can also use a large phillips screwdriver but a 10mm socket and rachet is easier.

Once you have those four bolts taken out the headunit will come out. Remove the brackets on the side of the headunit using a phillips screwdriver. You will reuse these brackets for the new CD player and Din pocket.

On the back of the factory headunit there wil be two harnesses going into it as well as the antenna wire. Disconnect all of these.

Fortunately Toyota has prewired another harness that makes it very easy to bypass the factory amp.

The two connector's in the top right corner of the picture will be used instead of the wiring connected to the original reciever.

Use a scosche or metra wiring harness like this one.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOTA02B?vq_id=none
and
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=SOUIECHUK

Match up the correct wires from the Scosche harness to the new CD players wires. Reconnect the antenna wire. And test the CD player to make sure it turns on when the key is put on ACC.

Attach the original headunit brackets to the new CD player and bolt it back into place. You can mount it on the top part of the Double Din opening or the bottom.

Toyota sells a nice pocket with a door to accomodate the open space.
IIRC it cost's about 20-30 bucks at the dealer.

Good luck, let me know if you got ?'s
cam2Xrunner
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Bypassing the factory amp in the JBL system.

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:25 am

cam2Xrunner wrote:If you have a camry/solara with the JBL system, then your car has an external amp that is mounted behind the glovebox. Not sure if this applies to the gen2 solara or not...

^^^Same scenario, Gen 2 premium JBL system w/ amp is located behind the glove box.^^^

cam2Xrunner,

Great job on the Tutorial bro!

-M 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby bassthrive » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:09 pm

Props! Great tutorial. The tools at best buy and circuit city could really use a look at this. The actually expected me to pay big bucks for an "amp bypass" and a re-wire of the entire car, to which I responded with a big "f*** all that silent bob". Another great reason to DIY.
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby TRAFFICBLOWS » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:57 pm

What's the Toyota part no. for the pocket with door for under the head unit??
99 Titanium SLE... 10-yr birthday Aug '08! She's slowly falling apart... :cry:
TRAFFICBLOWS
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby cam2Xrunner » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:05 pm

TRAFFICBLOWS wrote:What's the Toyota part no. for the pocket with door for under the head unit??

I ordered mine from a corolla iirc. ANy of them that look like that should work, as long as it is a single din opening.
cam2Xrunner
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JAYDEE23 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:06 pm

install went very easily but no sound from alpine hu..worked fine went removed from previous car

i am knowledgable about car audio so i know everything i did is done correctly however

no sound!

what is the small wire that is similar to the antenna lead from the car except smaller..could this have anything to do with my no sound problem?

as long as i use those other two clips illustrated above it should work right?

i have 2000 solara w/ jbl v6
JAYDEE23
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby JAYDEE23 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:07 pm

i forgot my alpine amp was shut off..duh

anyway for those of you installing an alpine w/ the tilt face/fold down cd access be aware that you will not be able to fit the trim ring if you flush mount the stereo. it must stick out a considerable amount to get the trim ring on

also there are two tabs on the side of the hu that must be bent out toward you so they do not interfere w/ the dash going back into place correctly.

(not the metal cage,you will not use this unless you have a kit that requires it?)

that said the install i did w/ a scoshe (spelling??) kit looks fairly "finished" without the trim ring..those of you really looking for a "proffesional" or "show car" look may want to research first or have it done profesionally

also the internal alpine v-drive amps are considerably more powerful than the stock amp. and they also have the capacity to blow your stockers so use xovers if you have them..set around 100 for rear and front should allow a nice high volume..around 80 for more lowend/broader bass range but be careul w/ the volume..

that said...install is a breeze..
JAYDEE23
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Vampire » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:12 am

I've been told that any 90's toyota pocket will work. And without the screws. There are more Toyota apps that will fit but I can't remember. It's late. I took the one out of my dad's 95 tacoma and it fit sweet. Like you found, the generic stuff fits like ... I actually wanted to take the pocket with the door cover from my mom's 96 Camry but she would've killed me. BTW, I went to Toyota to try and order it first but they wanted $40!! Try the junk yard. Gotta be tons of Camrys there.

edwardw818 wrote:I know that this topic has been dead for a while, but what is the stock # or where to order (or at least from which year Corolla)? I recently got an aftermarket stereo, but I'd like the covered pocket.

The one I found is a cheap snap-together that has a slight recess and makes thin stuff snag (e.g. a CD - bad habit, i know) where the "faceplate" meets the pocket portion, but at least it's better than the pocketless Metra install kit.
Paul

02 Solara SE V6 5spd SC
00 Camry LE V6 Auto SC
Vampire
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby zippy » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:43 pm

Great write up!
zippy
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby LatinDragonXJC » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:23 pm

Can you still use the same 6 CD changer?....or do you need a special adapter with the addition of the aftermarket HU?

Because I want to transfer my Pioneer DEH p350 HU to my solara.
LatinDragonXJC
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Location: Chilltown,Jersey City, New Jersey, United States, North America, Earth, Galaxy, Aliens Belly Button

Postby avalon01 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:18 am

since the JBL uses a external amp does that mean i couldnt just buy the JBL head unit from a wrecked avalon and use it to replace the stock unit?

I really like the factory headunit, changing station buttons respond very fast compared to aftermarket I've tested and, of course, it fits perfectly, where usually aftermarket looks like crap when put in, so I'd like to get a more powerful headunit that was designed for the car which is why i'm looking at the JBL system.
avalon01
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby OKANG » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:33 am

LatinDragonXJC wrote:Can you still use the same 6 CD changer?....or do you need a special adapter with the addition of the aftermarket HU?

Because I want to transfer my Pioneer DEH p350 HU to my solara.

I don't think there's an adapter that does that. Most of the ones I've seen are for adding an aftermarket changer to a stock head unit.

avalon01 wrote:since the JBL uses a external amp does that mean i couldnt just buy the JBL head unit from a wrecked avalon and use it to replace the stock unit?

I really like the factory headunit, changing station buttons respond very fast compared to aftermarket I've tested and, of course, it fits perfectly, where usually aftermarket looks like crap when put in, so I'd like to get a more powerful headunit that was designed for the car which is why i'm looking at the JBL system.

If your Avalon didn't come with a JBL system, then I think you'd be wasting your time by doing such a swap unless you got the wiring harness and the amp. I'm not sure, but I think that's all you might need. The head units themselves could be identical. You'd have to grab the part number from yours and do some research. Either way, I think it'd be a lot of work.
Cogito Ergo Zoom
OKANG
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby P Funky » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:46 pm

K, again, the topic's been dead for a while, but I'm planning to do an install of a Pioneer HU. The only part that really confused me about your tutorial is that business about the "Scosch" (spelling?) thing. What's all that about, do I need to buy anything extra other than what comes with the HU, and what really do I need to do with it? (Is there any weird splicing or anything that needs to be done?)

Thanks again, I should be doing it in the next few weeks.
<b>Master 'Yota</b>. K&N air filter, Sylvania Silverstar head/fog lamps Alpine CDA-9847, Blaupunkt ODc650, Alpine Type-R SPR-69LP. Alpine SWS-1022D 10". Alpine MRV-F340 55W x 4. Kenwood KAC 7201
P Funky
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby geminimouse » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:52 pm

P Funky wrote:K, again, the topic's been dead for a while, but I'm planning to do an install of a Pioneer HU. The only part that really confused me about your tutorial is that business about the "Scosch" (spelling?) thing. What's all that about, do I need to buy anything extra other than what comes with the HU, and what really do I need to do with it? (Is there any weird splicing or anything that needs to be done?)

Thanks again, I should be doing it in the next few weeks.

scosch is just a brand of wiring harnesses. u can go to best buy or something and ask them for a toyota wiring harness for ur headunit.
08 Accord Coupe
99 Solara Sold on 7/7/07
geminimouse
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5