[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Bypassing the factory amp in the JBL system.
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Bypassing the factory amp in the JBL system.

Postby P Funky » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:55 pm

k, but it wouldn't be in there already? and when I use it, is it just easy like plugging things in?
<b>Master 'Yota</b>. K&N air filter, Sylvania Silverstar head/fog lamps Alpine CDA-9847, Blaupunkt ODc650, Alpine Type-R SPR-69LP. Alpine SWS-1022D 10". Alpine MRV-F340 55W x 4. Kenwood KAC 7201
P Funky
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby OKANG » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:34 pm

P Funky wrote:k, but it wouldn't be in there already? and when I use it, is it just easy like plugging things in?

The head unit will come with a harness that plugs into it. On the other end of that harness will be bare wires. That is why you need to buy an installation harness that's vehicle-specific. It will plug right into the stock harness and have bare wires that you can match up to the one from the new head unit.

Just go buy everything and it'll make sense when you start installing. :)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
OKANG
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:34 pm

The black harness that came with the aftermarket HU plugs into the the HU.

The two white Harness you buy @ best buy or circuit city, are colormatched to the aftermarket hu harneess.

The Harness from Best buy plugs into the harness behind the stock headunit. Its pretty straight forward. Butt connectors and the harnesses and your all set.

This tutorial helped me a little so I will give back too.
[Silverstars|Nokya Yellow Fogs|Black Clear Corners|Pioneer DEH-P7700MP|Kicker 15" CompVR|Hifonics Amp|Knuconceptz]
Mossy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby townboy2 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:03 am

m... i know there is more easy then this, cause when i had mine 93 MR2 Turbo they came with AMP on it too.. but i remember when i changed to aftermakret HU i had order some wires from internet but can't remember which website but they come with RCA on it which lots more easier. u only need to connected the Nag. power and ground and the front and rear RCA to the aftermarket HU.
86 RX-7 crashed
94 MX-6 I4 donated it
93 MR2Turbo sold
00 Solara SLE
86 MR2 N/A FREE from a friend... DONATED too
2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid
townboy2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby awesomeapproved » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:08 am

I am in the middle of my installation and I a have a few small questions, with pics.

Regarding this comment in the original tutorial:
"Fortunately Toyota has prewired another harness that makes it very easy to bypass the factory amp."

1. Where is that additional harness? Where does it appear to come out of, from the hole in the dash after removing the stock stero. I don't think I have it. What should I be looking for, with regard to finding it?

2. What is that other, smaller male plug that looks somewhat similar to the antenna wire for? It was plugged into the back of my 2000 Solara coupe, but I am not sure what it is for.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/ ... olinst.jpg

3. Last, how do I access the amplifier that sits behind the glove compartment? I can not see how to remove this part. I am assuming that I need to start my wiring process there, and not behind the head unit. Any clarification on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
AA
awesomeapproved
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solaris » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:35 pm

let me see if i can help you.
if i understand it correctly, from the first picture on the first page of this thread, you can see two adapters at the top right of the pic.
you'll have to unplug both and plug the wiring harness that you bought (assuming you already bought it) in place of that.
the other end of your wiring harness, you'll have to wire it to the harness that comes w/ your aftermarket HU.

w/ regards to the other plug that look like antenna plug, i have no idea....anyone knows what it is for?

that's how i understand it, please correct me if i'm wrong... :)
solaris
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby awesomeapproved » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:36 pm

thanks for the help. My installation went swimmingly.

I love this site by the way.

Thanks,
AA
awesomeapproved
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solaris » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:20 pm

awesomeapproved wrote:thanks for the help. My installation went swimmingly.

I love this site by the way.

Thanks,
AA

so did you find out what other male plug is?
anyone here knows what's that male plug that looks like for antenna is...
thanks... :P
solaris
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mettler » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:16 pm

I used the JBL amp with my SONY HU. You have to make sure that you get the correct wiring harness. There are two of them. One has the amp wires already included. And, you have to splice wires - it is not a plug and play sort of harness. I downloaded a wiring diagram from the toyota website for the stereo that helped me out a good bit. I have absolutely no hum from the engine..it sounds great.
mettler
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Bypassing the factory amp in the JBL system.

Postby hiyoshimaru3 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:11 am

I am a newbie 1999 Solara owner and solaraguy forum member. I am attempting to install a JVC KD-HDR60 and am thinking of buypassing the JBL amp. After removing the factory HU, I also have the same question as the picture above. There are two male cables next to each other at the back of the unit. One is the antenna. What is the other one for? I did some searching but didn't find the answer yet.
hiyoshimaru3
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby art » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:11 pm

I am replacing my stock radio with a new one from Sony. I have a JBL system. I removed the unit which had one harness attached to it. I was sold a two part wire harness that has to be connected to the new radio harness. Problem is the new harness has two connectors and neither one fits the orginial harness.

Also, there are two wires, one an antenna, the other slightly smaller. I thought they may be two separate antennas; one for FM the other for AM. I have no idea where to connect the smaller wire.

Can anyone help me with these problems.

Thanks very much.

Art
art
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby supraguy17 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:20 am

Alright so ever since I got the car I've wanted to put my head unit from my old GSX in here but I had some problems then just said F' it. Now I'm back again to wanting to put the stereo in put have had no luck. I bought the two harnesses for the non-JBL sound system without realizing I had JBL, so sent it back then ordered the one I needed for my car. Hooked up what I could and nothing worked through the stereo.

This is the 2nd and "correct" wiring harness they sent me.

This is my wiring harness that came with the stereo, notice that the HU harness has a bunch of colors in twos half with black solid line spliting them, the harness they sent me has none, when trying to connect the two harnesses only 4 wires connect together when there should be about 7 or 8 connecting.

This is the back of my HU, notice how there is only two plugs and the harness they sent me has four, 2 rear 2 front.

I've come to the end of my patience with the stereo so if anyone on here knows whats up, thank you, if not, it's staying stock I can live with it!!!
1998 Mistsubishi Eclipse GS-T: Too many mods to list.
supraguy17
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby St.Anton » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:59 pm

art wrote:I am replacing my stock radio with a new one from Sony. I have a JBL system. I removed the unit which had one harness attached to it. I was sold a two part wire harness that has to be connected to the new radio harness. Problem is the new harness has two connectors and neither one fits the orginial harness.

Also, there are two wires, one an antenna, the other slightly smaller. I thought they may be two separate antennas; one for FM the other for AM. I have no idea where to connect the smaller wire.

Can anyone help me with these problems.

Thanks very much.

Art

I'm in pretty much the same position. My 01 stock HU has 2 harness plugs but it only had 1 attached to it. Also, the CD function on it is completely unresponsive.

I bought a complete Toyota deck kit off of ebay, but it's so ridiculously universal that I have no confidence in it. It came with 2 wiring harnesses that don't match either plug on the stock HU.

I'll get back in and take pics tmmw.

And has anyone figured out what that little mini antenna plug is yet??

EDIT!

Nevermind deck is installed. 8)

I didn't read the instructions from the original post carefully enough. :-? There were 2 harnesses plugged in on the side. Fit perfect with the harnesses I got.

New problems tho! I get crazy interference everytime I make a hard left turn or when the ride gets too bumpy. Does that mean I screwed something up? Also, the trim kit I got is freaking terrible. Any suggestions on something that looks a little sleeker?
Last edited by St.Anton on Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St.Anton
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:24 am

I'm thinking one is for AM and the other is for FM. Newer head units probably have a built in am receiver, thus no need for the external antenna.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jeremysullivan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:59 am

Does anyone know the specs for the 2002 Solara stock jbl radio and amp? I put a new hu in but it doesn't sound near as good. Bass is about half what I use to get. I bypassed the amp too.
jeremysullivan
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5