[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Ragtop-Only Mod...top control anytime
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Ragtop-Only Mod...top control anytime

Ragtop-Only Mod...top control anytime

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:39 pm

Take back personal accountability!!!

Finally got around to digging through the EWD for my first simple hack. The decision to prevent the top from moving when you're over 3mph, was basically Toyota protecting the most stupid drivers from themselves. Thanks, but I don't need that. I think I can remember not to move the top when I'm on the highway or when it's not safe. If you're with me on that, here's how:

Materials needed:
- Wire cutters
- tape, ties, whatever you like to make wiring work pretty (Optional)
- box cutter (optional)

Steps:
1. Take off the left kick plate. That nut lookin' deal is a plastic hand tightened nut. Don't grab the rachet set. Pop the sill up a bit, then pull the kick plate towards the rear of the car. (See the next pick to see the connectors.)

2. Here's the connectors and the first look at the cable run we need to crack into.
Note:If you'd like to chase down the wire elsewhere, it's violet/white and goes into the IC2 harness pin 8. That's the only other grey harness besides the one I have X'ed out on the pic.

Me, I cut that cablerun open (carefully) with a box cutter and sifted through the wires until I found the one I needed. It is the only purple with white stripe in there. The thick solid purple guy is power for the top. Don't cut that!

3. You'll see a white cable tie clamping around that cable run and another. I popped that open and to get better access. Here's the final cut.

4. Cap it off, tape it off, whatever you like to make it pretty again. I capped the wire ends with a male/female blade connector (in case I ever sell her) and wrapped electrical tape around the slice. Probably overkill since all that wire has is a 5V speed pulse.

Now your top will move whenever you push the button. So if you push it at 55 mph, it's going up. Blame yourself. :roll:
Last edited by Down2TheC on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby made in china » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:42 pm

woah, air brakes!!

I don't know how the Solara top mechanism works, but I wouldn't let my friends borrow my car if it had this mod, if it was a convertible.
Gettin' pirate eyed.......

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby BradOwens » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:43 pm

haha nice. thts sad tho 3 mph. i may be wrong but i think newer porsches u have to be at a complete stop.
BradOwens
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kingkakyle » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:51 pm

lol i saw this dude on the freeway in his lexus sc 430
he created a giant wall of traffic on the 405 (near the 105 for u LA people)
and just because h wanted to put his top back up
he kept on stopping and going putting it up little by little....at one point it was half way so it was sticking into the sky lol
wat an ass
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:02 pm

lmao... exactly the kind of thing that led me to this mod.
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PhreakdOut » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:36 pm

Nice Job on the tutorial Mike!!

Another example of how Toyota is protecting us from ourselves.
-- The Phreak
'04 350Z 6spd Touring Roadster w/Nav | Megan Racing | Greddy | Nissan Motorsports | Whiteline | Wicked Tuning | Giovanna | Injen | Polished Intake & Throttle Body | Eibach | Central 20 | Stillen | Misc CF Items
PhreakdOut
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby michaels artic frost » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:28 pm

kingkakyle wrote:lol i saw this dude on the freeway in his lexus sc 430
he created a giant wall of traffic on the 405 (near the 105 for u LA people)
and just because h wanted to put his top back up
he kept on stopping and going putting it up little by little....at one point it was half way so it was sticking into the sky lol
wat an donkey

^^That's hilarious^^

Nice write up Mike! Now do this for my Z roadster, just kidding :wink:
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:39 pm

^^^ as if the guy who rigged the side mirror led's would have trouble finding the speed input to the conv. controller.
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:07 pm

LMAO!!! :D Great comments - I can picture them all!

I must admit that I was cold the other night and decided to put the top up at a light... no problems tho and had plenty of time to do it.

Great mod tho - thanks!

Jeff
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby solarasweetie » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:25 am

okay. so this may sound dumb. ..
okay i admit. i WILL sound dumb.
but why would u want to disable it??
<b>rock it 'cause its <i>stockkk...</i></b>....Image
solarasweetie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 am

variant wrote:Is there any way to just make it 20mph instead of fully removing it?

I'm sure some eager EE major could help us out. We'd need a filter that keeps the signal flat until the frequency gets high enough to equate to 20mph. I'd guess that would take about $5 in Radio Shack parts. It would have to be variable with a potentiometer.

Me... I'm happy as is. I never reach for any buttons in that area while moving. Only one you could mistake it for is the "all up" and that's not a button I'd use with the top down. (top down, windows down... that's the rule!!!)
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:35 am

solarasweetie wrote:okay. so this may sound dumb. ..
okay i admit. i WILL sound dumb.
but why would u want to disable it??

So you can raise the top while moving at a reasonable speed. i.e. parking lot, stop and go traffic, approaching a stop light but the cars keep inching forward.
That's why I wanted to do it. You may not want to.

P.S. Going to the race Sunday? (so jealous!)
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mpvpapabear » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:39 am

Only one you could mistake it for is the "all up" and that's not a button I'd use with the top down. (top down, windows down... that's the rule!!!)

That's my rule too unless I have my 5year old son complain about the wind or my wife.

The droptop is a 10sec operation, much better than the 30 sec many other droptops take (save for the manual two seaters).

It's a great mod but just not for everyone...
2006 SLE, convertible, lunar mist/blacktop/leather/GFX TRD rsb
mpvpapabear
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby swindler » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:01 am

I will probably do the mod, because I have raised/lowered the top while at a stop light, and hit green before the top was quite done. With the mod, I could have at least rolled slowly while I finished the job.

And I am guilty of windows up at highway speeds - but for passengers only.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible
swindler
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 pm

For some reason chicks do that to me. They say they're fine with the top down and then they roll up the passenger window. That's the first sign that it ain't gonna work out.
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5