[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - RSB Install for noobs.
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

RSB Install for noobs.

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:38 pm

down2thec wrote:Concur. But you can just slide the bushing to the side.
I dunno about yours, but my bushings had deep grooves on the inside that get filled with grease. Merely sliding to one side and smearing grease on the bar and sliding the bushing back won't provide very long life of the lube I might think.
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby mpvpapabear » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:58 pm

Finally had time to do the greasing. The bastards didn't put any grease at all. Got the mobil one (had to buy a jar of the stuff).

The first side was easy but the second side was a problem. I undid the ball joint too and then used a pry (rubber handle of a hammer) to get the ball joint reattached after putting on the clamps.

No more squeaks and I'm not bringing my cars to that shop again...

Thanks for the tut and the instructions.

BTW I moved it from the middle to the inside and what everyone says is right the inside makes the car handle A LOT BETTER than the middle.

I feel like the front is too wobbly now too and wonder what can be done since the Front Brace doesn't seem to do much. I'm not going to lower this thing or change from the OEM wheels.

Anything like RSB upgrade for the front besides the Front Brace?
2006 SLE, convertible, lunar mist/blacktop/leather/GFX TRD rsb
mpvpapabear
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PXLpainter » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:03 pm

^^ Yeah - isn't that weird how you really notice how loose the front end is after the RSB install?

I'm (hopefully) picking up a FSTB this weekend and seeing for myself if it makes any diff at all. Most folks say not, but in most cases I've read it's either been before or along with the RSB install. Haven't read about someone putting one on afterwards.

Anyway - it's an engine dressing item if nothing else. Guess I"ll have to wait to get TEINs before I notice any real diff anyways...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby mpvpapabear » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:07 pm

Well definitely let a fellow drop-top owner know cuz if it does make even a small degree of difference, I'll go for one myself.
mpvpapabear
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:06 pm

Ditto... If it reduces the cowl shake in the least I'll put one on.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MrMikeL » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:59 pm

I put my FSTB on in March and the difference was very noticeable on the convertible. The shake is reduced significantly. It really seems to tighten up the ride.
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mpvpapabear » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Was this after installing an RSB or before?
mpvpapabear
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:25 pm

^^ Yeah - what he said! ;)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby mpvpapabear » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:29 pm

I guess it was at the same time and he does think it makes a huge difference...
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php? ... light=fstb

What's the best price for FSTB nowadays? I'm gonna git it!
mpvpapabear
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Yeah - okay, I remember his post now.

I'll just have to see this weekend if/when I get mine installed and report back. ;)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:30 pm

Good... we want a second opinion.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby mpvpapabear » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:16 am

I second that opinion! :wink:
mpvpapabear
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PXLpainter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Okay - here's my update report...

I gave my car a good hard test drive right before installing the FTSB just to make sure I had a feel for how it handled. Way too much oversteer and uncontrollable in hard sweeping corners. Not too mention it liked to pull one side or the other in hard accel starts off the line. The sensation I feel is like having a ton of cargo in the trunk of the car and the weight is shifted to the rear, making the front wheels come up off the ground a bit.

I brought it back to the garage and installed the FTSB and took it back out.

Damn! I kid you not - it's as big a diff as when I first installed the RSB!! I can literally take the same corners at twice the posted speed with smooth, tight cornering control and it no longer feels like I have a trunk full of lead!

For those of you who haven't installed the FTSB - you really should! If you don't think it has much effect, you're wrong - or you really don't know how your car handles properly. ;)

I'll post pics on my CarDomain page in the next couple days.

EDIT: See Reggie to get one of these bad boys... he has the best deal around hands-down. Thanks Reggie!! :D
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby swindler » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:09 pm

I have the ragtop and both RSB and FSTB, but couldn't really vouch for the FSTB that much. I got both at the same time, but put the FSTB on first (took no time at all) and waited for the weekend to do the RSB.

I must say that I thought I noticed a much bigger difference with the RSB (inner hole, btw) but didn't really try driving it hard for the few days I only had the FSTB. I wasn't expecting much of a change with that one, and didn't test it the way PXLpainter did.

Or perhaps the FSTB helps compensate for a tight rear after putting on the RSB, but doesn't really help much without the RSB? Not sure, but with the pair, I will state that I like the ride a lot better than before.

I was thinking of putting the OEM FSTB back on just to see the difference to help out with this topic, but now that may be mute.

Glad to hear it's a good combination. At least it makes me feel the extra $ was worth it.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible
swindler
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby swindler » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:22 pm

I was looking for threads on replacing the stock 215/55R17s with 235/50R17s on Gen 2 with stock wheels/suspension, and ran across this short discussion on the FSTB. mmcdonald was definitely describing what PXLpainter felt. Of course, slingshot disagreed...

http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=14480&start=14

If you do get it, down2thec, I'd love to hear your impressions.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible
swindler
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5