[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Replacing the JBL 6-disc w/ a 2007.
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Replacing the JBL 6-disc w/ a 2007.

Replacing the JBL 6-disc w/ a 2007.

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:50 pm

Yes... it works! Here's pics of the back of each unit. You can see there's one extra port (Sirius?) in the 2007.

As for a process... follow the docs for the AUXBOX install

update wrote:Also here's a doc w/ some nice graphics of our parts.
http://www.down2thec.com/FileStore/SolareHUInstall.pdf
Props to whoever posted this, but I'm not searching it out again to find out who that was.

Then to pull out the upper console, you need two clips on the side just above the register. Stick a screwdriver (taped) in there an give a little pry. Then pull back. I had some trouble because I didn't realize the following...
The upper console clips go forward, not perpendicular into the dash.

Then four bolts for the stereo/HVAC unit and pull it all out.
Four smaller bolts each side of the bracket to remove the HU.

Here she is gutted. I don't disconnect anything unless I have to so I just turned the upper console around and it stays nicely.

This is a good position for removing harnesses and hooking up the new one.

All done. There might be a slight color difference. Not sure. I'm sure once in daylight it'll look fine. But if it doesn't match, I can do it again to switch faceplates. They are identical except for the text labels.

Did the background color change? I though it was all green before? Maybe Toyota has been watching our threads. I remember folks griping about the blue intruments and the green dash conflict.
2007 SLE owners please post your dash colors.

Very simple and very quick. But don't forget to hook up the HVAC harness when reassembling... don't ask how I know. But you can hook that up while it's im place thankfully.

Down2TheC pg2 wrote:How it plays...

Like anything stock the MP3 playing is a bit goofy. Here's some notes if you're thinking about doing this.

- MP3 CD's load the same. When you switch to it you have about 20 seconds for it to catalog the ID3 tags and start playing.
- Like the Gen2 JBL HU, the options show all the time (i.e. RAND, REPT) and when selected they are underlined. Always found that silly.
- tag RAND to shuffle the folder you're in.
- press and hold RAND (1 sec.) to shuffle the whole CD.
- When in either RAND mode, the next song is randomized ONLY if the song ends on it's own. If you skip to next, you'll get the tune right after the one you're on. Seriously goofy. If you're skipping a song you probably wnat to move on to another album. When that happens I give the tuning knob a twirl.
- Tuning know quickly rolls through the songs. Pretty nice.
- Display shows either CD-FOLDER-SONG (i.e. 3-12-4) or any of the ID3 info. To switch you hit Text. To see the rest of the text that ran off the edge you hit and HOLD the Text button. Again... lame.
- Plastic face. The silver is less sparkly and more flat than the HVAC below it. Totally noticeable. I'm going to try to switch faces to make it match but not sure if it'll work since the old unit had the cassette. Buttons are all in the right places though.
- Older MP3 players had a problem continuing songs. This one resumes where it left off when you fire the car up. But it thinks for a bit before resuming. It also has the FF/RW buttons for scanning through MP3 tracks.
- AUX2Car works the same.

It's better than mucking about with an MP3 player in the storage bin, but I still find it a bit sad that they can't program a decent display or random feature. Back when there were two MP3 HUs on the market, I bought an AIWA. The display scrolls the text and had a dot-matrix display for making real letters. It even had an integrated AUX input. That was in 2000 I think. Can't find all that anymore.
Last edited by Down2TheC on Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby **PoshPepper** » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:01 pm

Good tutorial, glad that this turned out well :)
The Original... SOcalLARA
Milt's OTHER ride
**PoshPepper**
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:08 pm

Nice....
If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.-Katt Williams
---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby mluu510 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:30 pm

i really hate the new text labels. they're so bold and look fuzzy. but, good work, buddy.
mluu510
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Biggi_e » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:47 pm

looks great! first person to do the swap im guessing? does it play mp3's?
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:43 pm

Yup... it all works. ID3 text comes in fine too though cut off like everything else on the lame display.
wheel controls are the same so to jump to the next folder you need to hit the HU button.
I like the tuning knob doubling as a track advance because you can zip through a couple folders with one spin. And the illumination is great. Wonder if the 07's got blue everywhere else. If so I'm jealous.

mluu510 wrote:i really hate the new text labels. they're so bold and look fuzzy. but, good work, buddy.

Might be the pic. I try to go natural light when I can. Flash pics look awful that close.
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby michaels artic frost » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:44 am

Great job Mike! Props!!!

-M 8)
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby MikeATL » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:14 am

I have seen the 2007s and yes, everything matches now...

Nice job by the way. I have been looking at those on ebay for a while now, that extra plug on the back made me nervous, but i guess its not needed.

I have almost been tempted to get the 2007 navigation, but oemvalue.com says that if you have a 2005, you have to rig up some kind of extra speaker, which sounds like more worth than its worth. I dont know how accurate that is though because the website doesnt even mention 2004s...
2008 - Black on Black - Infiniti G37S
SOLD: 2005 - Silver - SLE - V6 - HIDs - Ipod
MikeATL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Biggi_e » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:12 am

how is the quality? i kind of want to get rid of my headunit and want to go back to stock unit but with the 07 one buttt i got a system...what to do...
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 am

MikeATL wrote:I have seen the 2007s and yes, everything matches now...

Just one more thing that TOYOTA needed 3 years (and hundreds of SG posts) to figure out. :roll: Add to that:
- convertible headrests (not fixed but they tried)
- Lack of MP3 support (fixed)
- lag (not sure if they fixed it for the 07)
etc.

And Big, quality seems the same. Haven't cranked it yet though. It's been raining so she's in the garage.
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby linmk2 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks for the post. The photos are great. I do have a quick question. I'm still not clear on how the upper gauge cluster is removed? Just where is the screwdriver or like device placed to remove the clips? And where are the clips? I sure would not want to mess up my car trying to remove that panel. Again, great write-up. Glad everything works as you hoped it would.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby RDKamikaze » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:11 pm

MikeATL wrote:I have been looking at those on ebay for a while now, that extra plug on the back made me nervous, but i guess its not needed.

That extra plug I heard from a junkyard dealer (I was going to compare prices so I sent him to this thread via phone) is for Bluetooth. That's what he said he thinks it's for, but he's not 100% sure. 2007 just came out, and it's only 1 more car junkyards have to deal with. :).

Has anyone found them cheaper than $160 yet or not? And do they still not match or was it just that one that doesn't? I'm really interested in getting it, but I wanna make sure it's just as good or better first (and I'm frugal, what can I say?).
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:24 pm

You didn't read the first post.
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby RDKamikaze » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:15 pm

Alright, I got my dad's permission to get one and he's even gonna pay for it 8). I'll get pics up when I get it and install it. Great written tutorial, thanks!
RDKamikaze
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Down2TheC » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:04 pm

linmk2 wrote:Thanks for the post. The photos are great. I do have a quick question. I'm still not clear on how the upper gauge cluster is removed? Just where is the screwdriver or like device placed to remove the clips? And where are the clips? I sure would not want to mess up my car trying to remove that panel. Again, great write-up. Glad everything works as you hoped it would.

My bad... someone linked to this manual from a a/m vendor. I might as well host it.
http://www.down2thec.com/FileStore/SolareHUInstall.pdf
That will give you a pic of where to pop the two side clips for the upper. But what it doesn't show you is that the clips go straight FORWARD. Not into the dash. I mucked around quite a bit before getting it because I imagined them going down into the dash.
The dash is nice and spongy so it doesn't get damaged with a little rough-housing. But put a couple layers tape on if you're using a screwdriver. You'll probably feel a click once you poke it in there. That means the catch is released. Don't mess with anything but the two sides. The rest will pull out without un-catching them.

Good luck!

Now if I could only drive the car... with a foot of snow on the way, it's going to be 4Runner season for a while.
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5