[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - "Behind the Teeth" install MikeT's Lower Grilles
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

"Behind the Teeth" install MikeT's Lower Grilles

"Behind the Teeth" install MikeT's Lower Grilles

Postby PXLpainter » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:27 pm

I've received several requests for how I did this install, so I thought I'd put it up here...

First, I removed the chrome edging from the lower grille and put it along the top edge to create more stability there. (It's barely visible only if you get down low enough).

You will have to remove the skid plate screws along the bottom edge of the bumper and pull the plastic down to access the space behind the lower grille opening.

Then I used the gray Zip-Ties Mike provided to attach the lowerpoint of the posts only (luckily for me they blend in with my paint color - you may want to buy some that more closely match yours) - I did this on every post, making sure the top aligned correctly so it's on straight - and leaving room at both ends for a little overhang in the back...

I then applied a self-adhesive Zip-Tie Mount on the back side, inside lip of the grille opening and Zip-Tied the loose ends (toward the top) to the mount. This provides stability and rigidity at both ends and the chrome strip helps keep it flat across the length of the grill.

Make sure you put back the plastic skid plate correctly when you're done! ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby gone » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:36 pm

nice job with the pic and instructions! I dont have these grilles so it wouldnt help me. Didn't someone else on here do this also with the lay out?
gone
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Nice tutorial man.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby rollaevo99 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:06 pm

^^^ what he said :wink:
2004 Solara Sport SE V6 Lunar Mist
TRD Body Kit
Eibach Springs
35% Tint

rollaevo99
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby michaels artic frost » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:22 pm

06toyo chick wrote:...Didn't someone else on here do this also with the lay out?

^^KansasSolara did^^

Nice write up w/ pics Jeff.
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:15 am

Thanks - and yes, it was someone else's idea originally - I just copied them and did my own thing with it, but I think my install technique is unique and thought I'd share it with anyone who wanted to do the same. :)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby dvdchris45 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:16 am

nice write up!
<b>04 Desert Sand V6</b>
<i>Injen + Magnaflow </i>
<i>TRD FSTB + RSB</i>
<i>HID + A/V + iPod</i>
dvdchris45
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:16 am

Thanks again guys - had a few people standing around in front of my car when I came out of the restaurant tonight - one guy asked what kind of car it was - LOL - obviously didn't wander around the back! :)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby gone » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:11 am

PXLpainter wrote: - one guy asked what kind of car it was - LOL - obviously didn't wander around the back! :)

omg dont you love that! haha..the car is like a mystery to people.Someone I know couldnt believe it was a toyota, im like wow..should've told him a lexus or something lol.. and i bet he would've believed me!
gone
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:56 am

06toyo chick wrote:
PXLpainter wrote: - one guy asked what kind of car it was - LOL - obviously didn't wander around the back! :)

omg dont you love that! haha..the car is like a mystery to people.Someone I know couldnt believe it was a toyota, im like wow..should've told him a lexus or something lol.. and i bet he would've believed me!
Hmmm... let's see...

If the Lexus Logo would fit in place of the cowboy 'Yota logo you could defintiely have people going, that's for sure! ;)

I really think the interior fit and finish and overall build quality of the SLE is on par with the Lexus label IMO.
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby MrMikeL » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:28 pm

ooo, I like! When the weather warms up . . .
MrMikeL
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby MCOjerry » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:06 pm

PXLpainter wrote:Thanks again guys - had a few people standing around in front of my car when I came out of the restaurant tonight - one guy asked what kind of car it was - LOL - obviously didn't wander around the back! :)

Yeah, the other day I caught someone using their cell phone to take a picture of my car while I was stopped at a light. :D
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:55 pm

MCOjerry wrote:
PXLpainter wrote:Thanks again guys - had a few people standing around in front of my car when I came out of the restaurant tonight - one guy asked what kind of car it was - LOL - obviously didn't wander around the back! :)

Yeah, the other day I caught someone using their cell phone to take a picture of my car while I was stopped at a light. :D
Hey Jerry - speaking of pics - when are you gonna share some pics of that ride of yours with us? :)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby MCOjerry » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:37 pm

PXLpainter wrote:
MCOjerry wrote:

Hey Jerry - speaking of pics - when are you gonna share some pics of that ride of yours with us? :)
um, well...it looks just like yours :lol:

seriously...I'll try. I have to get me camera back from my friend for my trip to Greece, so I'll try to take some and figure out how to post them. It's really nothing special, just your normal Solara :)
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Bat Man » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi, new to the board here. I own a 2007 Silver V6 Sport Coupe. The front bumper has always bothered me, I much prefer the 06 bumper.

Anyway, does that honeycomb pattern for the lower grille match the OEM 07 pattern?

I'm interested in installing one myself, how can I buy the lower grille? How much?

Please feel free to email me at BrianHa2002(at)gmail.com

Thanks,

Brian
Bat Man
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5