[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - LED 3rd Brake Light
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

LED 3rd Brake Light

LED 3rd Brake Light

Postby cklinh » Sat May 26, 2007 11:34 pm

This is fairly simple once you get the rear deck out... well the idea behind it is simple, but it's a bitch to do correctly. This is not a full blown writeup, just some basic steps that you can follow should you want to do this. I'm sure you can do a much better job than I did.

Firstly, some final pics:

The LED's are slightly off, but you don't really notice it from more than 5 feet away...

Now parts needed:

-Red 10 mm LED's (I got them pre-wired with resistors, but you can source your own)
-10 mm LED Holders (they serve as a base so that your LED's all point in the relatively same direction, if you're good with LED's, you probably won't need these)
-1/2" drill bit

Optional:
-Acrylic, red spray paint, 194 Empty LED Base

The optional items are for my original intended method of doing this... to replace the red lens in the third brake light with a similarly shaped piece of acrylic... it ended up being really hard to get the holes drilled correctly, so I abandoned it and just drilled the red lens.

Step 1, remove the rear deck.
-You'd need to pop the connectors in the rear-interior-upper-quarter panels and slide the piece toward teh front of the car. There are three plastic connectors to be popped, and the sliding part will take care of the metal connector. The actual deck itself has two plastic connector, lift up, and when you hear it pop, yank towards the front of the car. Be sure to remvoe the harness on the driver side. PS, I don't recall exactly, but you might need to remove part of the felt liner behind the seats.

Step 2, remove third brake light.
-Just any way you can. I kinda lifted up the part away from the lens, and it popped right out. Separate red lens, either for drilling, or for making a copy with acrylic/plexiglass.

Step 3, DRILL!
-I made six holes, 1/2" diameter, spaced 1" apart. You have to do this CAREFULLY! I had crappy equipment, so my holes were a bit off... if you have a drill press, this would be perfect.

Step 4, Install LEDs
-Pretty straightforward, place hodlers through hole, insert LED's, wire them up as you see fit (I had them all in parallel since they had resistors).

Step 5, Reinsert 3rd Brake Light
-This part was tricky, as the led holders stuck out far enough to block directly slipping the entire component in. I had to put in the lens first, and then the back part separately. This took me half an hour.

Step 6, Connect to power
-My original idea was to wire the LED's up to an empty 194 LED base, but I decided against it when it didn't come in time. I just hooked directly to the two wires leading to the bulb. White/Black is ground, Green is power.

Step 7, Reinstall everything!
I HATE those damn plastic connectors, I lost two inside the car wehre I can't reach... I KNOW they're gonna rattle like crazy.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby kpxboi0619 » Sat May 26, 2007 11:38 pm

nice nice
kpxboi0619
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sebas007 » Sun May 27, 2007 5:14 am

Wow Chung !! Best pictural tutorial ever !

Nice job ! :D
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Sun May 27, 2007 4:13 pm

Damn - looks like a lot of work! Glad my Convertible came with LEDs to start with! :up: :D
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby sgunitkc » Sun May 27, 2007 4:15 pm

nice job...looks real good

thanks for the tutorial also...ill make sure to make good use of it whenever i get up to that point
sgunitkc
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 pm

Great work!!!!
If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.-Katt Williams
---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby gone » Tue May 29, 2007 9:07 am

where did u get the leds
gone
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby cklinh » Tue May 29, 2007 10:12 am

Off of ebay, from this person:

http://stores.ebay.com/TopBright-Led-Store

I actually have 11 LED's left over from my order of 20 (had to sacrifice a few).

Holders are from this person:

http://stores.ebay.com/hktaiyuen-LED-store

If anyone is truly interested, I can send you a package of 7 LED's and 7 holders (in case of fuxups) for the cost of shipping. I'd like to keep some around just in case something happens to my install. Shipping shouldn't be more than a few bucks.

PS I bought the chrome holders by accident... the person also carries black ones.
2004 Solara SLE V6 - Cosmic Blue Metallic
cklinh
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby kingkakyle » Tue May 29, 2007 10:12 am

06toyo chick wrote:where did u get the leds

EBAY!!!!!!!
http://www.solaraguy.org/viewtopic.php?t=33484
=)
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby **PoshPepper** » Tue May 29, 2007 10:22 am

Looks real good installed. Good work and thanks for the tutorial... very similar to how Milt and I did ours. :wink:
The Original... SOcalLARA
Milt's OTHER ride
**PoshPepper**
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Tue May 29, 2007 1:25 pm

**PoshPepper** wrote:Looks real good installed. Good work and thanks for the tutorial... very similar to how Milt and I did ours. :wink:

LOL!! You mean like how "Milt & I" lowered my ride?!! :lol:
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby **PoshPepper** » Tue May 29, 2007 3:58 pm

PXLpainter wrote:
**PoshPepper** wrote:Looks real good installed. Good work and thanks for the tutorial... very similar to how Milt and I did ours. :wink:

LOL!! You mean like how "Milt & I" lowered my ride?!! :lol:

Yeah, something like that... but I actually really did help. :D
The Original... SOcalLARA
Milt's OTHER ride
**PoshPepper**
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby MCOjerry » Tue May 29, 2007 7:10 pm

PXLpainter wrote:Damn - looks like a lot of work! Glad my Convertible came with LEDs to start with! :up: :D

Huh, what? I don't have LEDs for 3rd brake light. Are you sure? I know you converted the tails, but I don't think LED 3rd comes stock.
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby PXLpainter » Tue May 29, 2007 8:09 pm

They're LEDs inside the case - they don't stick out like the aftermarket DIYs do. ;)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby MCOjerry » Wed May 30, 2007 5:43 pm

oic
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Next