[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Rear Valve Cover Gasket Leaking
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Rear Valve Cover Gasket Leaking

Rear Valve Cover Gasket Leaking

Postby Solorange » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:29 pm

So everytime I get out of my car after driving it I smell burning oil. The problem is that its leaking engine oil out of the back valve cover gasket. Ive had it fixed twice now. First time was at a toyota dealership almost a year ago when I was living in Cincinnati and the second time was a month ago at a dealership where Im in Columbus now. The first time I paid $500 bucks for the job and the second time was free since Toyota garuntees their work for year. Well its still leaking and I got to take it back again now. Im sure they will put in a new gasket for free again. But I have a feeling that it may not be the problem. Im wondering now if the valve cover is warped. What do you guys think?
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby AllShowNoGo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:15 pm

Its very easy to strip bolts going into aluminum. So if your bolts holding the valve cover are stripped in the corners it s a good chance there is not a good enough seal at that point.

just a thought
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Solorange » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:17 pm

That is a good point. What would they have to do to fix that. Re-tap the threads going up one size?
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby TMMK Toy » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:13 am

Is your level low or does it leak on to the ground or just burn on the exhaust? I ask because I wonder if thats what I smell. I dont see any leaks but smells kinda like oil sometimes when I'm driving and would make sense to me.
TMMK Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Solorange » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:34 am

TMMK Toy wrote:Is your level low or does it leak on to the ground or just burn on the exhaust? I ask because I wonder if thats what I smell. I dont see any leaks but smells kinda like oil sometimes when I'm driving and would make sense to me.

Mine is faint enough where it just burns on the exhaust and doesn't hit the ground. Just run your fingers on the back of the motor where the valve cover meets the engine and if you get a bunch of oil on your hand. Chances are you have the same problem. I dont recommend Kings Toyota not that you would drive that far since they couldn't fix it on the first time.

My car goes back to the dealership this Thursday so they can fix it for the third time... Im starting to really wonder about Toyota.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Solorange » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:35 pm

Well took it in and they could find nothing wrong with it. The they wiped the motor down and drove it around and I even brought it back to them after driving a while and they found nothing wrong. I still smell burning oil when the car is stopped at traffic lights. The smell is pretty strong. Although I dont see any oil leaking nor is it leaving any puddles under the car. I really think something is wrong with it though.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Rear Valve Cover Gasket Leaking

Postby sol-brotha » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:36 pm

I know this is an old thread but I wondered what happened with the burning oil smell? My 2000 has had the same smells since I had my rear valve fixed after a major oil leak. No leaks now but the smell remains. I think it needs the old oil cleaned off. It may just still be burning off. I had the shop look at it and they said no leak
Sol-Brotha
T-County, Ohio
sol-brotha
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gregtrd » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Blow by.
The Fastest Camry in Socal
366whp / 427wtq @10.5psi
Gregtrd
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SpeedySolara » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Check the axle which may be leaking oil onto the exhaust.

I had the burning oil smell and the smoking at start up. I changed the rear valve cover gaskets three times which didn't solve the problem. Fortunately it didn't cost me much because I did the work myself but it was irritating while it lasted. Hope this helps.
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Toy1mzfe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:24 pm

Back from the dead.

I was checking my brakes last weekend and noticed a lot of oil and sludge build up under the passenger axle. I took it to my shop and had them check it and they said that it was the valve gasket. Anything i should have my mechanic do before putting it back together so i wont have the same oil burning smell?
Toy1mzfe
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby dinoxor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:38 am

I had the similar burning smell as well.

I took my car into a mechanic to get a timing belt change and asked, while everything is disassembled, to replace the...
rear valve cover gasket,
3 rear spark plug oil seals,
pcv and grommet (although I replaced it a year ago, yet a new pool of oil appeared near there),
and the intake plenum gasket.

The smell no longer exist when I use the external air circulation now
Hopefully this helps
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5