[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Where can I put my GPS?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Where can I put my GPS?

Postby ---CAMRAZY--- » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:13 pm

DrLove wrote:Hi guys!

Yesterday I received my GPS! I put it in the windshield but it' way too far to an easy acces. I would like to put it near the radio, I saw on ebay a braket made for our car (for a cell phone), but it's a bit expensive..what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Panavise-InDash-Moun ... ViewItem#1

thanks!

Thats a nice bracket, and 22 bucks is not expensive at all... Maybe you could rig one up like that if you want to be cheap about it.
If there are any haters in here right now that don't have anybody to hate on, feel free to hate on me.-Katt Williams
---CAMRAZY---
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby DrLove » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:25 pm

Finally I've put my GPS on the windshield, just over the clock. I run a wire to my gps from the lighter 12V, to behind the center bezel and it's clean.

I went to the store because my USB wasn't working on the GPS, so they gave me the LN740 (I had the LN735), the screen is 4'', the LN735 had a 3,5'' screen. It makes a nice difference, a simple 0,5'' make the screen much bigger and it's easier to see the streets name!
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:35 pm

NIce pick up on a gps. i personally would fabricate a cover above the clock like shown in you pics for radios. but that would be my idea if i didnt have a dvd player or navi. make it look nice and clean
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DrLove » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:11 pm

The cover would be nice for sure! But the GPS has speakers and they are on the back. I would like something who looks more stock. It's not bad on the windshield, the only visible thing is a little wire going from the center bezel of about 4'' to the GPS.

that's bad that no aftermarket part have been produce for our car to insert a screen or something over the center bezel like it exist for mazda 3 and others cars.

For now it's winter here so it's not easy to work on the car! the bracket finally wasn't a good option for the GPS, it's low and near the knees of the passenger.

PS: You got a DVD player at the clock space? send pics please!
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby hari-bhari » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:31 pm

dont custom fabricate a small gps like that. you probaby want to keep it more eye level, u dont really use it day to do anyways.
hari-bhari
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DrLove » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 am

I've put it with the stock mount on the windshield. I try on the left side ,in the center,etc..and the best for me is in the center of the windshield,over the clock.

But now everybody see that I have a GPS so Im a bit anxious to get my window broken by a robber or something..it's easy to see the mount sitting on the windshield.. and here near Montreal there is lot of people who got them GPS steal.. and same if they remove the GPS from the mount, every know that we just hide it in the harness or somewhere inside the car just like the radios faceplates. I did a nice job to hide the 12V cig inside the headunit..so just a little 3" wire is going to the GPS. I will probably hide it with a custom braket this summer, because I don,t want to cath attention too much and get all my toys steals!...I don't use the GPS often so maybe just remove it from the windshield and plug it just when I really need it.

Yesterday I bought an MTX 12",Infinity amp,etc.. so this week-end I will probably install this..one day my car will look like a huge gadget,I must stop to spend money on it. lol.
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby DrLove » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:08 pm

Little update about my amp, sub installation:

Today I asked my ex-gf's father to use his"garage" behind his house to install my sub. He said yes so I did!

Running the "12V" wire inside the grommet to the glove box wasn't easy. I tried about 1h to be able to reach the "/*&$& cable, is was always hide behind another unit stuff in the car.

I did a clean job I think, no wire are visible inside the car.

21' is a bit too short for the 12V wire,really. More because I srew the amp behind the sub box. If I knew I would probably srew the amp on the back seat. I'm kind of short to plug the amp, but it's ok for now.

I bought 2" wide "velcro" (5') to stop the sub from moving inside the trunk. I'm gonna install this tomorrow.

What you guys did to hold the sub box in place? metal braket?

PS: I know it was my topic about the "GPS", but I don't want to start a new one just for 1 question!
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Robert » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 am

If someone can bring me a CAD or Illustrator design to scale for something like that, i can make them to order at work, Flat of course with where you want the bend & how many degrees the bend should be...

But to be honest, that's a damn good price for an item like that
Robert
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby AkiraSLE » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:49 am

I'm sorry but if 21' is too short then you may be doing something wrong, 17' was plenty for me to get into the trunk.

As far as the sub box goes, place the sub box into the trunk without the subs inside and get a general idea of where you would like it. Mark two holes on the inside of the box on both sides to drill through the box into the floor of your trunk. Make sure you predrill your holes first, otherwise you will make a mess and possibly ruin your box.

I also wouldn't be giving good advice if I did not say to look before you drill, gas tanks are expensive.

One more thing, if you don't want to drill into the floor, then pull the spare tire and place a 2x4 down there you can drill into.
MECP Certified... eat it.
AkiraSLE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby AkiraSLE » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 am

As far as the GPS goes, you might actually enjoy it a little more if you place it in the far left corner of your windshield.

The Garmin Nuvi 200WD is a bit more of an OEM look aswell, although it doesn't have text too speech. but hey.. its only $249.99

I personally like the Nuvi 260.. a bit smaller but it says the street names and gives you the capability of using MSN for gas prices and cost of meals at that Italian restaurant thats down the block.
MECP Certified... eat it.
AkiraSLE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DrLove » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:18 am

:D FInally I bought some LARGGEEEE velcro and "staple" it under the sub box.. I did some hard turn and nothing move (except all the junk in the trunk). It works so well, over my expectation. The velcro is like 3.5" wide, I've put 2 long strip under the sub. It cost like $10 of velcro,but it stick like crazy on the trunk carpet!,no needs to put the "soft" velcro on the trunk, it already do the job.

Now I need to find some "quick" connectors for the amp+sub, to remove it fast when I need to use all the trunk.

What you guys use?

this?

There is something better? I would like that it has 3 connectors..12V,ground, trigger.
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5