[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ***Gen 2 V6 - JPP Headers & Y Pipe - HISTORY & INFO
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 2 and 2.5 upgrades.

***Gen 2 V6 - JPP Headers & Y Pipe - HISTORY & INFO

Postby CosmicGrooves » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:04 pm

Well, I thought I'd add the December post to this thread. :)

I assume there is no news as of yet. It looks like I'll be able to spend my income tax return on the car again this year!

So how is your car running? Any CEL's? How about gas-mileage? Any noticable difference... besides a heavier foot maybe?

Does anyone know if this (headers and black box) would void the 50k mile drive train warranty?

My brother just got new headers on his Harley and even it had to have a computer brain/chip thing installed. What does this brain do and why is it needed?
CosmicGrooves
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Well, there's good news & bad news.

The bad news is, we still don't have the solid dyno numbers yet (before/after curves) nor have I had a chance to take it to a local strip for 1/4 mile times.

The good news is, it's basically all done. ;)

I'm going to go back to Split Second one more time and have them tweak the box yet again. It's been throwing arbitrary CELs occasionally - for like a day then they go away. While the CEL is on, performance doesn't change at all - only that it burns a little richer at startup and you can smell the diff - plus it idles a little lower. In my ride, it also disables traction and skid controls. I don't know what causes it or why those are disabled too. All I know is that I have gotten 1st, 2nd to 3rd gear burnouts on dry pavement when it's cooler outside. Might be my semi-bald tires too. :D

So - bottom line is this right now...

The "Group Buy" is officially dead - no way we're going to get 10+ people to jump on these any time soon. So I've mentioned this to Jose and JP Performance should still honor their GB pricing to individuals though, and you will need a Split Second tuned box (approx $200 pre-tuned for CP-e) for best performance - though we've not tried it with an Injen SRI yet, so maybe its not needed.

It would be good to start contacting JP Performance with inquiries anyway to show him that there's interest and see what feedback you hear from them. Here's their contact info:

Phone: (714)754-6977
Email: jpperformance@sbcglobal.net

Once we have this all wrapped-up, I'm going to close this thread and start a new one with only the final info on it - where to buy/price/etc. In the mean-time, please post your info/responses to what they tell you at JP Performance, as well as continued questions, etc. here.

Here's a few pics of the finished product:

Ceramic coated headers w/O2 Sims:

Polished Stainless Y-pipe w/Hi-flow Cat:

Happy New Years guys! :up: :drinking:
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Sebas007 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:39 pm

One thing we must consider is the CP-e setup was different for a '04-'05 compare to a '06...do you think Slipt Second should know it...to test if it affect their own AFR setup ?
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:59 pm

Sebas007 wrote:One thing we must consider is the CP-e setup was different for a '04-'05 compare to a '06...do you think Slipt Second should know it...to test if it affect their own AFR setup ?

They won't have the numbers for the different years I'm sure - mine was the first CP-e they ever saw before. They normally only do work on Jags, BMWs, Porsche & Mercedes there... and a few Acuras/Lexus. Both SS and JP do a lot of hi-end stuff - BMWs their primary market though. Will definitely take my 6-series convertible there when I win the lotto to buy one! :up: :lol:

Seriously though - if you want info like that, contact JP Performance above and see if they can help you.
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Sebas007 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:02 am

PXLpainter wrote:
Sebas007 wrote:One thing we must consider is the CP-e setup was different for a '04-'05 compare to a '06...do you think Slipt Second should know it...to test if it affect their own AFR setup ?

They won't have the numbers for the different years I'm sure - mine was the first CP-e they ever saw before. They normally only do work on Jags, BMWs, Porsche & Mercedes there... and a few Acuras/Lexus. Both SS and JP do a lot of hi-end stuff - BMWs their primary market though. Will definitely take my 6-series convertible there when I win the lotto to buy one! :up: :lol:

Seriously though - if you want info like that, contact JP Performance above and see if they can help you.

Jeff you don't understand...my concern is for the others...I've a '06 V6 too so this is bolt-on for me.

One thing I will ask them is if they use the exact same wires and connectors as CP-e...maybe you know yourself
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Down2TheC » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:08 pm

cp-e didn't change the wiring for hte '06, but they did tweak the program map. Wait... you were the proto for that so you should know better than anyone.

So you're right... the tune SS came up with is for the '06 and might not be peak for the '04 - '05 cp-e owners. Stock will be good with no tuning I'd hope. Once we have a price and some performance stats from Jeff, I'll talk to Josh about it. He'll be able to clear up what they had to do for the '06 and hopefully offer to re-tune me for the headers with a map I can share with the tuneables out there. (and the non-tunables can swap chips for a nominal fee) They still owe me... hope they have good memories.
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby Sebas007 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm

^^^

Yeah exactly...I can suggest you to send you the '06 mapping then you can compare it to your '04 mapping and see where the difference are...to guide you thru any other tuning.
Sebas007
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby PXLpainter » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:54 pm

Guys - I have no idea on the wiring. SS took the CP-e unit out and put their (larger box) unit in. I don't have documentation on the box install from them yet.
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Biggi_e » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:23 pm

any update on this jeff?
Biggi_e
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby PXLpainter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:51 am

^^ Biggie - read up a bit... all the details I have and probably ever will have are there.
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby driftnut » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:16 pm

sorry i would put my name in this but i don't have the money but i want to prove to my buddy the car has promise cuz he thinks it's a pos so plez get a company to make them
driftnut
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby PXLpainter » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:23 pm

driftnut wrote:sorry i would put my name in this but i don't have the money but i want to prove to my buddy the car has promise cuz he thinks it's a pos so plez get a company to make them

Uh... First - if you actually read the thread you'd see that the company, JP Performance, is actually making them. They are available and I've given the contact info.

Second, I'd find new buddies since yours doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about.

So... welcome to SG - and do a little research before posting again. ;)
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Still unclear

Postby crazygreek » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Jeff,

If I am to understand this correctly every thing works with the CPE and the headers. There are just a few tweaks that you are trying to work out. I have been following this post from day one. At times I have to admit I have gotton lost and just trying to clarify.

So far that I can tell, you need to figure out the traction and skid control and then this guy is all set-up ready to go right. But I take it that's the problem, just can't nail that down yet right. I guess for me I would want to make sure this thing worked with out bugs before putting it on my car and especially since I won't have to drive it in the winter as much come next year.

You did an awesome job your ride especially trying to figure out the whole dual exhaust issue. Awesome job.

Thanks again for the continual on-going posts and information.
crazygreek
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby PXLpainter » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:03 am

Well, I've been on the road almost non-stop since before Xmas so no way to get down to have Split Second check out the electronics again.

Some weird sh!t going on and can't figure it out...

Was getting an intermittent CEL with the loss of TRAC and VSC. Sometimes it would last a day then go away for a week then come back for a couple days, etc...

But in the last few weeks, I've been getting the addition of the ABS and the tire pressure warning light. Had Firestone put on new tires and check all the sensors and connections and they were all clear and fine.

I hit the reset and it all goes away until I stop and restart the car a couple times and it all comes back EXCEPT the damn CEL!! Sometimes, I can start the car and drive off immediately without backing up or letting it idle much at all - just rev it and go and the lights don't come on at all for as long as I drive until I shut it off.

I don't notice any loss of performance when the lights come on, but I can def. tell the TRAC is off cuz I'll get 2nd-3rd gear chirps, even with the new tires.

It's not making sense to me.
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Down2TheC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:13 am

Well I like the sound of that last part. 2nd - 3rd chirp? That says something. Still planning on a Dyno when the lights are taken care of?
http://solara.down2thec.com/gallery/
"We need failures in this world... failures gives us lap dances and chicken nuggets and I like both."
Down2TheC
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermarket Gen 2 and 2.5