[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - I installed a B&M Auto Tranny Cooler
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

I installed a B&M Auto Tranny Cooler

I installed a B&M Auto Tranny Cooler

Postby impactX » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:11 pm

I installed a B&M Auto Tranny Cooler and switched to Redline D4 Synthetic ATF. I don't have time to do an article, but if you have any question, go right ahead and ask.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Yanks0114 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:28 pm

Do you have any pics of where you mounted it. I really should install the cooler
Yanks0114
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby impactX » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:47 pm

Do you have auto?

I will go snap a few pictures of how I connect it tomorrow. :D

Also I did a whole tranny flush (yes, a flush, not just drop pan) with the help of my dad.

I gotta measure the temperature of the cooler later... And see if I want to install a 12V fan on the cooler to make it into an active cooler.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby impactX » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:52 pm

Just saw your site... hehe.

I highly recommend you change your fluid to some high heat resistance ones too, such as Redline D4 / high-temp or Amsoil. Both are really good synthetic ATF. Supercharger + tranny kick down will burn the petroleum based ATF sooo quickly.

Mine had this rusty color before I flushed it and I didn't even want to go pass 3k RPM when I drive.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby krook » Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:50 pm

yep, snap some detailed pics of it, i wanna see too! i've got an S/C'ed auto, so how will this help aid in performance?
krook
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby impactX » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:20 pm

It doesn't really aid in performance, but new bright red fluid will lubricate the tranny a lot better than burnt fluid. Also, tranny cooler cools down the fluid so that the fluid has enough lubrication to lubricate the tranny. When tranny is not lubricated, it will die very soon.

Taken from a site: ( http://www.goa-northcoastoil.com/tips/atfchnges.html )

As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half. The approximate life expectancy at various temperatures is as follows:

175F 100,000 miles
195F 50,000 miles
212F 25,000 miles
235F 12,000 miles
255F 6,250 miles
275F 3,000 miles
295F 1,500 miles
315F 750 miles
335F 325 miles
375F 80 miles
390F 40 miles
415F Less than 30 minutes

If you think this is propaganda put forth by the suppliers of ATF to sell more fluid, think again. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced.

On most vehicles, the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by a small heat exchanger inside the bottom or end tank of the radiator. Hot ATF from the transmission circulates through a short loop of pipe and is thus "cooled." Cooling is a relative term here, however, because the radiator itself may be running at anywhere from 180 to 220 degrees F.!
Tests have shown that the typical original equipment oil cooler is marginal at best. ATF that enters the radiator cooler at 300 degrees F. leaves at 240 to 270 degrees F., which is only a 10 to 20% drop in temperature, and is nowhere good enough for extended fluid life.

An auxiliary transmission fluid cooler is easy to install and can substantially lower fluid operating temperatures. The plate/fin type cooler is somewhat more efficient than the tube and fin design, but either can lower fluid temperatures anywhere from 80 to 140 degrees when installed in series with the stock unit. Typical cooling efficiencies run in the 35 to 50% range.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby impactX » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:24 pm

Since many people are interesting, I guess I will edit the first post and do a DIY article tomorrow. It really sucks to have a bad tranny.
impactX
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby bassthrive » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:06 pm

Would like to know not only how you installed the ATF cooler, but more importantly, how you did the tranny flush. Did you follow the procedure posted here - http://www.camryclub.org/forums/showthr ... eadid=6387 . I checked my fluid and its this reddish brown rusty color. Dosen't smell bad, though would like to flush my system out anyway and put in synthetic. What items/tools did you use or need to buy for the flush and change? Any advice for someone who has never changed tranny fluid before?
- Paul

y2k(1MZ)dWp
cpe mafci / apexi ws / tein s-tech + tokico / trd rsb
bassthrive
SolaraGuy Marklar
SolaraGuy Marklar

Postby jazzlara » Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:07 pm

I have installed an inseries AT cooler and its great. the shifts are percise and all under an hour install time and $40.

I too have a B&M temp guage and am going to install it as soon as i get my pillar guage mount.

Eccentially, u will put in a T adapter either in the out line or the return line of the tranny. The fluid will flow through the T adapter and make contact with an electrcal temp sensor....which then gets transfered to the human readable guage.

Personaly, id like to konw the temp of the fluid going back in the tranny versus comming out of the tranny. However, putting it in the out line of the tranny will forewarn you better when you are overheating. its up to you.
jazzlara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

tranny cooler

Postby roger182nd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:22 pm

I too just purchased a B&M tranny cooler. The one with the attached indipendant fan. I have been considering my options as to where to mount it, and how.. But at this time i have done nothing.
Do you have any pics of the finished product? Have you noticed any differance in the temp of the transmission or the engine?

Roger
roger182nd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DatSRBoi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:30 pm

AHH too much reading.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby 99V6solaraSE » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Last edited by 99V6solaraSE on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blown @ 5.5PSI w/ xerd, 3inch jpp, tunable cpe Automatic... SOLD
2010 Mazdaspeed 3 ZOOM-ZOOM B)
99V6solaraSE
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Flush

Postby AguinaldoHomes Inc » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:47 pm

Did you use a machine to do the flush?
Mark Aguinaldo
Aguinaldo Homes, Inc.
(908) 220-3692
aguinaldohomes@yahoo.com
AguinaldoHomes Inc
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby roger182nd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:45 pm

very cool. I will post pics when I finish mine/ Thank you.

Is yours hooked up in series with the original radiator cooler?
roger182nd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby roger182nd » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:31 am

For the 1MZ platform (2002) Does anyone know which tube on the transmission does the fluid get pumped out of. And conversely, which one does the cooler fluid reenter the transmission. (the other one right) ..
Does the Hot fluid exit the right one ( as observed from the front on the vehicle), or the left one.

Thanks in advance
roger182nd
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5