[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - CRISPLUGREPLACEMENT CRISPICTORIAL
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

CRISPLUGREPLACEMENT CRISPICTORIAL

CRISPLUGREPLACEMENT CRISPICTORIAL

Postby crispone » Sun May 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Well, it's been awhile since I shot a photo of the 'lara... and the plugs were coming "due"...

...at about 79k miles, I decided to pick up a new set at the dealer.

SEVENTEEN PLUS BUCKS for a PLUG!

...after some chat, I gave them my business anyway, for $13 and change per plug. I stayed with the DENSO, even though I like the BERU SILVERSTONES in my Supra.

Here is my "spur-of-the-moment-no-manual-referencing-journey" through the process, with a handful of pictures along the way.

I have NO engine cover, since I don't care for it... so the front bank were a SNAP to SWAP! :D

^^^ The OLD DENSO plugs came out looking really good for nearly 80K MILES! I gapped them to the recommended 1.0 ~ 1.1mm gap, choosing to be on the MIN. side, since they "grow" over time, if anything. (Shouldn't, but they certainly don't SHRINK!)

...as always, I used ANTI-SEIZE in the plug threads. If you don't do this currently, do yourself a favor, and go pick up a tube at any auto store. WELL worth the extra few moments to apply. Torquing is SMOOTHER and removal is a simple affair.

Here I am under way... actually dove in and did the FRONT bank before I even removed the battery...

...I was actually just "tinkerin'" around the cars when I started to pull plugs in the 'lara! Ended up doing the whole job.

^^^ Pulled the battery (to remove the CP-E intake more easily) and threw it on the charger because... well... why not. (Needed cleaned, anyway.)

^^^ CP-E was pretty clean overall. It really is a nice piece. I have only sprayed a LITTLE K&N oil on the CRIPMONGO air filter since switching to it from the afe unit that came with the CP-e, and required oiling at 3-5k mile increments. The K&N is still OILY... although getting dirty now.

^^^ The throttle butterfly was clearly soiled, and the ring around it's sealing arc as well. I carefully cleaned ALL the butterfly edge on the inside and out by gently forcing it open against the throttle spring. (I can't recommend this, as the drive-by-wire type may have delicate sensors, encoders, potentiometers, etc... which I have not researched. LAZY!) Nonetheless, I cleaned it well later, after I pulled it off with the manifold.
(Half a can of carb cleaner...)

^^^ After the basic vacuum bracket is removed (M10 nuts, earlier) you can pull the two nuts (M12 wrench) and several Allen bolts (M8 Allen wrench or socket) to loosen the manifold. ...ER... it won't come out YET! :-?

Sure, there are several hoses at the throttle body to pull, two of which are COOLANT lines, and need plugged as follows...

Then you have to pull a couple vacuum lines from the top/center area of the manifold and right/rear (intuitive stuff...) ...but the REAL trick, is getting to the three bolts that secure the manifold to three stays BEHIND the manifold. Two are on the RIGHT side (facing the engine) and require a little patience... and I found a GEARWRENCH box-n-open worked well for those. (M12)

^^^ CENTER of image where light is shining, you can JUST see the bolt head. (They are not HARD to break free... just hard to back out, mainly because of access...)

^^^ The THIRD bold is an M14 head, and was the MOST difficult to reach! Once again, an M14 box-n-open GEARWRENCH made it only MODERATELY painful.

^^^ There are the three stays that brace the rear of the manifold. Pain in the arse to get at those bolts!

^^^ After pulling the manifold off... I made sure I placed shop towels into the intake runner openings... (YOU DON'T WANT A BOLT OR SOME DEPRIS to DROP INTO THERE!) ...especially since I would be working on the rear bank of plugs now.

^^^ I cleaned the battery terminals as well as the cable ends before reinstalling the battery. I also used a couple "corrosion resistant insulators" this time around. Later I sprayed the terminals with anti-corrosion spray.

^^^ JOB COMPLETE!

...and here were my pit crew members... posing with their achievement!

Perhaps someone will challenge the plug service as a result of the story... although a little time consuming, it is nothing a basic shade-tree-mechanic such as myself can't handle with a little patience!

Good luck!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby MCOjerry » Sun May 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Nice to see you are still around :D
2006 SLE V6 Convertible Lunar Mist Metallic w/black top ➬
MCOjerry
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby crispone » Sun May 11, 2008 7:52 pm

^ HI Jerry!

Yup... still out here... (silly busy, but trying to pop in and check a few threads when I can...)

I started pulling the plugs, and then realized, I should be doing a "photo shoot" while I did it. Not sure if I planned very well, but you get the gist of the job, anyway!

I also did my transmission fluid again. FULL flush, "rinse", and FILL. (8-9 qts. for the full rinse... but works great!)

Oh, yeah, the plug change and minor tune-up worked GREAT! (Tranny job, plugs, filter "light" clean and oil, and... some "special" fuel additive... heh heh heh! :wink: )

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby Jakecallun20 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Nice job, I'm glad I didn't have to remove the intake manifold to get to my rear plugs. (1MZ) Oh...is that intake manifold plastic?
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Sun May 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Very nice man. 8)
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby DatSRBoi » Sun May 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Lovely kids you have there man.

I bet you enjoy changing the plugs on the Supra more then the rear ones on the solara haha.
[b][color=red]WARNING: MY SIGNATURE MAY CAUSE SEIZURES![/color][/b]
DatSRBoi
Grumpy SolaraGuy
Grumpy SolaraGuy

Postby iinokturnolii » Sun May 11, 2008 9:01 pm

whats up cris! its been a while... glad to see your posts again. :D
iinokturnolii
Exotic Herb Sampler
Exotic Herb Sampler

Postby crispone » Sun May 11, 2008 9:11 pm

^^^ all...

Thanks guys!

"JAKE",

Yeah, some form of composite. Both material, processing, and weight costs are mitigable through the application of polymers on such components. I always wonder about the thermal durability over the long term. What is the risk of "cracking", etc... over time? (Especially when HANDLED!)

I actually DROPPED the rear/left (facing engine from front) bolt about eight times trying to RE-install it through the stay hole and into the manifold. The GAP back there is SO SMALL, and I don't have real large hands! (Some dude with MEAT-HOCKS for fingers is in trouble!)

After fishing it out the first half-dozen times, I couldn't find it on the last drop! All other bolts are secured, and I'll come back to replace this one with a DEALER spec'd part from Toyota. (There ARE little square, threaded inserts in the manifold "composite", but the wrong length COULD put a crack in it in a hurry if you screw up, I'd suspect!)

...I don't expect any trouble 'till I get it in there, but I am SURE the mounting POINTS and LOCATIONS have been THOROUGHLY analyzed in both FEA (Finite Element Analysis) through "kinematics", etc... in CATIA or some such CAD, as well as extensive mock-up and matured product validation testing. There is almost ALWAYS a REASON, (although not always "CRITICAL" in effect), for every design element in these vehicles these days.

-crisp :evilbat: :drinking:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby michaels artic frost » Tue May 13, 2008 1:02 am

Good job bro!

-M
Updated 06/01/12: Michael T's
Updated 06/01/12: JUICED! 232whp 294ft/lbs of torque
"Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around."
michaels artic frost
SolaraGuy Moderator
SolaraGuy Moderator

Postby crispone » Tue May 13, 2008 4:20 am

Thanks Michael! See you at the meet! (Hopefully...)

^^^ I thought I'd come back and mention the BRITTLE and DELICATE nature of the little clips holding the ignition coil couplers in place. One of mine on the rear bank SNAPPED when I went to remove it! DOH!

I didn't want the darn thing coming LOOSE from vibration, so I used a NYLON TIE to secure the harness to the main harness right near the attach point, so the coupler CAN'T be "backed-out" far enough to loosen. I think this will work, so long as the tie doesn't fatigue from heat.

Also, to clarify, I did NOT replace the plenum gasket, but would recommend doing so in most cases... I didn't PLAN to change the plugs when I started working on my cars... but I DID carefully inspect and CLEAN the surfaces before I reassembled.

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby PXLpainter » Tue May 13, 2008 10:44 am

Nice Crispy! :up: ;)
Old CarDomain pages here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2247283
So-long to my 2006 SLE Convertible...
PXLpainter
Mod Alumni
Mod Alumni

Postby Donnie » Tue May 13, 2008 12:23 pm

Really nice job and much appreciated pics. Man I had no idea there was so much involved in changing plugs on a Lara. Not sure how much difference there is in yours and mine (gen 1) but after 3 major back surgeries in the bast I think my mechanic will be doing mine while his father & I bore him with stories of the 'good ol V-8' days and just generally get in his way. :drinking:
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jakecallun20 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:04 pm

Donnie wrote:Really nice job and much appreciated pics. Man I had no idea there was so much involved in changing plugs on a Lara. Not sure how much difference there is in yours and mine (gen 1) but after 3 major back surgeries in the bast I think my mechanic will be doing mine while his father & I bore him with stories of the 'good ol V-8' days and just generally get in his way. :drinking:

Don't worry Donnie. It isn't as hard as on the Gen 2 V6. Intake doesn't get touched.
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Donnie » Tue May 13, 2008 2:36 pm

^^^^ Thanks for the info.

Sorry for the double post, nets acting up around here today.
Donnie
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Tue May 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Just a note for those WITHOUT the CP-e intake...

I suppose it shouldn't be TOO much more work, but I suspect there MAY be a few more pieces to loosen or remove to get the manifold out. (All those big plastic BOXES and stuff that obstruct the AIR from getting into the engine, etc...)

Also, you can see that I didn't have to remove the TRD brace to get the manifold out! (Glad I was "lazy" and didn't just pull it OFF before attempting the job! Usually, you REGRET not taking things all the way down!)

crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Next

Return to Tutorials Gen 2 and 2.5