[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Subs Cutting In & Out?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Subs Cutting In & Out?

Subs Cutting In & Out?

Postby illstylez » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:32 pm

Ok here is my set up:

• Alpine CDA9885 HU
• Rockford Fostgate Punch 801S
-2400 Watts Amplifier Type Dual Channel
-RMS Power at 4 Ohms 200 W x 2
-RMS Power at 2 Ohms 400 W x 2
• Sony XPlods (Sony XS-L121P5)

Just recently my subs began cutting in and out. I am not sure what it may be. I will be checking the wiring this weekend if I have a chance. I just wanted some general ideas of what could be causing this so I know where to start. Still a bit of a novice with car audio set up. Thanks in advance.
Kentel " Ill " Styles
Chicago IL,
99' Solara Since 2007
" The best way to predict the future is to create it! "
illstylez
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby no_escape » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:39 pm

typically a loose ground or loose wire somewhere.
SC 4psi - 305cc - Jims Fuel Upgrade - AFC NEO - 190 Walbro - Tokico/Eibach - Short Throw Shifter - FTB - RSB - K&N Filter - Greddy Evo II catback
no_escape
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby AllShowNoGo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:48 pm

check speaker wires to see if they are touching..
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby Pogs » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:56 am

Check the remote turn on/off wire. That has happened to me before.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby crispone » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:14 am

Are they cutting out at MODEST or LOW volume... or ONLY when "pushed" to "hard hits"?

If you are HITTING hard and "cutting out", you may be "clipping", which is a natural protection feature of an amp. (Current draw exceeds threshold of safe operation or capacity of the amp to deliver.)

If this is occurring, check your GAIN setting as well. You may be pushing "too much boom" for the system to properly handle.

(Other than that, I agree with some of the earlier comments, ground, remote trigger lead, crossed speaker wires or frayed/inadequate gage sub wires... etc...)

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby illstylez » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:13 am

Okay so I have about an 8g ground wire on the amp. Was thinking of going down to a 12 becuase the 8 was fraying under the amp connect before( but i fixed that ). IS THAT TOO SMALL??

crispone: it seems to be cutting in and out at modest or when its pushed. I reset the gain about a week and a half ago after the first time it started getting bad.

FYI I HAVE AN INFINITE BAFFLE SET UP, NO BOX AND MY SUBS ARE UNDER POWERED: Max Power (W): 1200
Max Power (RMS, W): 350
Sensitivity (dB/W/m): 89
Freq. Resp.: (Hz) 18 - 2k
Impedance (Ohms): 4

The gain is on the highest for both channels; however it only recently started cutting/clipping in and out.
Thanks for all the advice so far 8) See if I can track this thing down.
Kentel " Ill " Styles
Chicago IL,
99' Solara Since 2007
illstylez
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Problem Worsens

Postby illstylez » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Okay so now the head unit Alpine 9887 is cutting off at random. It did it today once while on a ride about 10-15min long. I am tripping now. What the hell is going on here? Any ideas?

I turned off the amp and subs from the head unit ill deal w that tomorrow. But I noticed this about a week ago right before when the amp and or subs started cutting in and out.
Kentel " Ill " Styles
Chicago IL,
99' Solara Since 2007
illstylez
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby AllShowNoGo » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:33 pm

time to check your connections and power sources(BATT ALT)
AllShowNoGo
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby illstylez » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Update:

Ok so I checked all the wires and power connections. Nothing loose. There were some wires touching the ground inside the dash. Dont know if that could have been the culprit. Will have to wait during the week and see.
Kentel " Ill " Styles
Chicago IL,
99' Solara Since 2007
illstylez
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DevilzAdovocate » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:34 am

It could be that your Amp is over heating.. maybe? I had a amp that did that "what a Bitch" had to get a new one. Do you know if the power light is on still or when your system goes out and a warning light usually red is on instead of green. Thats when you can tell if its jus the amp itself instead of the wiring.
DevilzAdovocate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby illstylez » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:09 pm

Yeah so its definately overheating!! I pulled over when it went out 2 day and it was 2 hot 2 touch.

Could it be the IBaffle and sub set up casuing this plus the gains 2 high? Please don't tell me I need a new amp :(
Kentel " Ill " Styles
Chicago IL,
99' Solara Since 2007
illstylez
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby lilm » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:19 pm

turn the gain down....that will help with the overheating
lilm
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby DevilzAdovocate » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:55 pm

illstylez wrote:Yeah so its definately overheating!! I pulled over when it went out 2 day and it was 2 hot 2 touch.

Could it be the IBaffle and sub set up casuing this plus the gains 2 high? Please don't tell me I need a new amp :(

You cant fix overheating! I believe the amp i hd i took it back to the shop i bought it from and he said he could add anothr fan but it turns out it ws unfixable.

Best bet is to get a new one!
DevilzAdovocate
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby solara1989 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:35 pm

Check the connection on the batterie, or the amp is probably overheating.
2000 Solara SLE V6 Diamond White
solara1989
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crispone » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:31 pm

illstylez wrote:FYI I HAVE AN INFINITE BAFFLE SET UP, NO BOX AND MY SUBS ARE UNDER POWERED: Max Power (W): 1200
Max Power (RMS, W): 350
Sensitivity (dB/W/m): 89
Freq. Resp.: (Hz) 18 - 2k
Impedance (Ohms): 4

The gain is on the highest for both channels; however it only recently started cutting/clipping in and out.
Thanks for all the advice so far 8) See if I can track this thing down.

Am I understanding correctly, NO BOX? (Free-air?)

Also, am I to understand that the amp is 350W RMS (MAX)? At what THD? What is NOMINAL rating wattage? (WHAT BRAND Amp?)

Sub is 1200W rating? You are driving FREE-AIR subs with 1/4 required power (RMS MAX, YET!) at FULL GAIN?

If you had SPEAKERS rated at 350W and AMP at 1200W and SEALED or PORTED enclosure, you would be kicking some good punch at modest gain with clean sound. Your setup "sounds" whacked to me! (Not SAYING it IS... just trying to picture if I am understanding correctly, and if so, I am not surprised the amp is ready to fry an egg. It CAN'T sound good, can it?)

Can you PHOTO the amp/speakers?

...hope I'm NOT right about what I'm thinking...

Oh, yeah... also, are you running the FULL RANGE (18-4khz) or is it crossed somewhere? Passive? Active? (At what frequency? What are the subs rated at in free-air?)

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Next

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5