[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Factory Head Unit Swap (factory->factory)
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Factory Head Unit Swap (factory->factory)

Factory Head Unit Swap (factory->factory)

Postby wolfman123bugs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 am

Hello all. please be easy on my as im a newb to toyotas and this is my first port here. :)

My g/f just bought an 01 Solara SLE cpe. It has the JBL sound system which sounds pretty good. Its got the 6disc changer and all but no mp3 playback or (known to me) AUX inputs. i know that there are factory decks that swap between model/years/etc across the toyota line. My question is... Is there a factory head unit that has mp3 playback, sat input, aux, etc (like the 06+ factory units) that will be a plug and play into the '01 cpe?
(i know that some features simply will not work, but what will?)

My main goal is to keep here system stock looking but with the features (or at least mp3 and aux) of the newer units.

Thanks in advance
Jeff
wolfman123bugs
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Ruski » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:21 am

Not for the gen1 or gen 1.5 solaras. you can get an ipod interface
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1st Gen Sol » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:09 pm

The only radio that I can think of that is OEM with outputs is the Scion/Pioneer radio. You might have to shave the center console of the Solara for the sides of the radio to fit. The only feature which will not work is the Aux/Ipod feature because the input plug (located on the very bottom on the back of the radio) is not included. It is also an expensive part at the dealership b/c it is incorporated into the wire harnesses of the Scions. You can however get this harness for the Aux/Ipod feature through aftermarket companies (haven't looked).

Here is the info on the radio, hope it helps you out.

Description: Scion Audio CD Deck ETR, Upgrade
Part# PT546-00081

Last edited by 1st Gen Sol on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Gen Sol
Stock Sleeper
Stock Sleeper

Postby wolfman123bugs » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:25 am

thanks for the quick response. I had read about the scion swap must admit, i dont look forward to having to do any grinding or anything like that.. I've seen the photos of 4runners/tundra/tacoma head units that have the mp3 playback and they "look" like they would work.

In theory i would need a 20 pin external amped head unit that fits the double din slot (like the scion sized slot). Am i correct on this?

the mp3 playback is the main reason for wanting to swap, if the aux in, etc works then thats just a bonus. She's got a sirius portable receiver that will still just use the fm modultion if there's nowhere to plug it into the deck.

here's what i have in mind....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Ac ... 06.c0.m245
wolfman123bugs
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1st Gen Sol » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:51 pm

That would work as well. I'm not sure if that radio unit will fit directly b/c I've never had one, maybe someone else could chime in on fitment. I thought you were looking for the av outlets in the back of the radio. Either way, you'll need the AUX harness b/c the Solara never came with that feature until the Gen. 2 came out in 2004. Either way, thats a nice headunit.
1st Gen Sol
Stock Sleeper
Stock Sleeper

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5