[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Did I blow my amp?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Did I blow my amp?

Did I blow my amp?

Postby Pogs » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:00 am

So today is sunday, friday I finished building my custom sub box for 2 12" Kenwood 1200 watt subs. I was pushing them with an 1800 watt Kenwood amp with a Base Excursion test (its a sound track with all the highs and lows) and amp cut off. The amp has 2 fuses that are ok and the inline fuse to the battery looks ok. Any suggestions to look into or did I fry my amp.
Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
Search and Win
Its a search engine that gives you random points to get free stuff they offer.
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:43 am

Is the "protect" light on (on the amp)?

Change the fuse under the hood....often times the fuse will look good, but it burns at the ends that you cant see.

Make sure that the amp turns on when the system is on....you'll know if its on because its fans will kick in.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Pogs » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:08 pm

The protect light doesnt come on but I took a power tester and the power wire from the engine didn't have power coming to it. T
he remote turn on wire had power but that was expected. No power was really going to the amp, fans werent on or any lights so I will look into the fuse in the engine bay.
Search and Win
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Ok sounds good man....I suppose that you should check your ground on the amplifier as well...if its not SOLID, then you'll stress the amp out, and you'll be blowing fuses.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Did I blow my amp?

Postby 1gSE » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:16 pm

Pogs wrote:So today is sunday, friday I finished building my custom sub box for 2 12" Kenwood 1200 watt subs. I was pushing them with an 1800 watt Kenwood amp with a Base Excursion test (its a sound track with all the highs and lows) and amp cut off. The amp has 2 fuses that are ok and the inline fuse to the battery looks ok. Any suggestions to look into or did I fry my amp.

find the last known source of power. If it's not at the amp, check between there and the battery....which really only leaves you with 3 things. The inline fuse, the connection at the battery or the cable itself is bad.
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Ransom8707 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:26 pm

maybe you need a power cycle batter to produce enough power for that many wattage or the remote power wire that runs from headunit to the amp might be loose...that would be my best guess
Ransom8707
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jakecallun20 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:30 pm

I had a Kenwood 1800 amp and I do know when it starts flowing too much power it will shut it self off. If that helps at all. As far as no power getting there, make SURE your turn on lead is SOLID as well as your ground point and 12V lead for the amp. Then run a test light thru your fuses and see what comes up.

-Jake
02' AV6 Accord Coupe- Daily
86' Mercedes 560SL- Project
99' Solara SLE V6- Sold 09/19/09 :(
Jakecallun20
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Pogs » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:02 am

TLMNICK wrote:Is the "protect" light on (on the amp)?

Change the fuse under the hood....often times the fuse will look good, but it burns at the ends that you cant see.

Make sure that the amp turns on when the system is on....you'll know if its on because its fans will kick in.

Thanks for everyone that answered. I got around to looking into this more seriously and the problem was the in line fuse under the hood. The fuse looked perfectly fine but when I changed it out all my problems were solved. TLMNICK you hit it right on the button
Search and Win
Pogs
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5