[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Sea Foam (With Pic )
How to, DIY, and Get 'er done.

Sea Foam (With Pic )

Postby gnegroni » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Well, j3ff... I think that won't hurt the engine. Try using 1/2 of the amounts on directions... maybe 1/3. I did it to our 1996 Lumina... oil changes were not as per 3000k; full blown Seafoam went fine along with throttle body cleaner. Just don't forget to put the booster line back up...
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Midias » Mon May 26, 2008 8:06 am

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Mon May 26, 2008 8:30 am

Midias, that is a great video... but I do have one exception on one of the OTHER videos I accidentally ended up seeing:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5302980149469589489&q=&hl=en

They pour the SeaFoam into a cup of some sort then put the booster line slowly inside the filled cup.

The instructions warn the user not to suck it up due to possibility of hydrolock. My suggestion would be to pour inside the booster line instead of having the line suck it up, like they do on Midias video.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby M_ABILLONES » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 am

What happens if i use 1 pin on the Brake Booster Line then another pint into the oil crank case? Any danger to that?
M_ABILLONES
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DrLove » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:51 am

1 pint into the oil crank case seems too much for me. On my car I did about 3/4 on brake booster line + 1/4 into oil.
SOLD 1999 Toyota Solara V6 SE white
Mazda 6 2010 6 speed black GS
DrLove
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:34 am

Remember, 1 pint is 1/2 quart...you shouldn't overfill or thin the oil too much.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby gnegroni » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Update: Even though there might not be any need for my near 60k Solara to be Sea Foamed, I went ahead and did it today.

Poured 1/3 in tank, 1/3 in vacuum...then I poured enough to stall the engine (the remainder poured in the tank - very little).

10 minutes later I started up...the car was a bit difficult to start, but after a bit, it cleared up...

However, it was still smoking for a while, so after a bit, I decided to take it for a ride. Funny thing, while driving on the freeway, a fellow motorist yelled out that I had my car was smoking as if I broke something (smoke was a little blueish). Apparently, the funnel I used to pour the Sea Foam had very little oil residue and it went in the line, but after a minute it went away... Seems I have another Sea Foam date soon.

Edit: This is also something good to do for all those using oiled air filters. The reason performance dry air filters exist is not only due to simpler maintenance, but because oil filters can over time "grease up" the insides of air intake manifold and parts.

Results: The car has a lot better throttle response. There was a lot of traffic, so that was the only thing noticeable.

Thoughts: Even though my car has nearly 60k miles, it never saw an injector cleaner after 20k miles. Also, since I used 93 octane fuel prior to getting a bit more intelligent on the subject, I suspect there could be a little buildup due to both issues. In the end, I'm happy.

Additional Material: This club lexus post has pics on how piston looks after treatment:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25167
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TxBmbleBee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:33 pm

sorry to bring this back but i just bought sea foam today and was wondering how i know what the brake booster is??
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:10 pm

TxBmbleBee wrote:sorry to bring this back but i just bought sea foam today and was wondering how i know what the brake booster is??

Separate at the white coupler and suck it in through the hose closer to the engine.

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:10 pm

TxBmbleBee wrote:sorry to bring this back but i just bought sea foam today and was wondering how i know what the brake booster is??

The brake booster is a black edged donut-like device which the brake fluid reservoir sits on.

Oh, and midias location is the perfect one. Just make sure you pull long since the white coupler is quite long itself (don't break it).
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NightRider » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 am

Is this booster line in the same spot as in the Gen 2? If not where is it at so I can seafoam my car?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ruski » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 am

Yes, its on the driver side
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:38 am

NightRider wrote:Is this booster line in the same spot as in the Gen 2? If not where is it at so I can seafoam my car?

You could also do it thru the PCV valve line, but you'd have to remove the top cover to access it, right (back left side of engine)?

On another note, I did the 1/2 bottle thru the mentioned hose and it didn't smoke 1/10th of what it did the previous time. Other than the mileage, I might say using only 87 octane might have helped, since 93 octane might leave deposits (I used 93 octane when it was new until about 35-40k miles).
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby CaliLara » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:22 pm

Do I need to immediately change the oil even if I only pour Seafoam into the brake booster line, and not the oil crank case? It's only been about 1k miles since my last oil change.
CaliLara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby gnegroni » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:22 pm

CaliLara wrote:Do I need to immediately change the oil even if I only pour Seafoam into the brake booster line, and not the oil crank case? It's only been about 1k miles since my last oil change.

You have the same problem as me. I know if you use it in Oil, its 500 miles max. As for the Vacuum line, I don't think there is such limit, but its recommended to change oil and filter since dislodged particles can end up in the oil. Spark plug inspection or replacement also recommended by some, depending on the situation.
Once I have enough money, I will change the oil. In the meantime, I'm not using car.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials