[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Sea Foam (With Pic )
How to, DIY, and Get 'er done.

Sea Foam (With Pic )

Postby Akfahad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:14 am

is it suggested that you can do this back-to-back? I did this yesterday, got some smoke, not a lot. I split the can up in thirds, but wanted to get another can and do half break booster, half oil tank. Or would it be better to wait a couple of days?
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Akfahad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:02 am

lol...too late...did it anyway. :drinking: Same results tho, not a whole lot of smoke, but definitely noticed improvements. thanks for the write up

**did my oil change the next day after running the car somewhat hard. Noticed a lot of minut particles in the oil.
Last edited by Akfahad on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akfahad
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby gnegroni » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:46 am

Awesome!
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby HydroponiK » Wed May 20, 2009 5:08 pm

I have almost 120k on my v6 solara and I've never used seafoam thru the brake booster before. Is it safe to use it with so many miles?
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby mers714 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07 pm

did it with 143k miles with no problems. car runs smoothers :D
mers714
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby gnegroni » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:31 pm

HydroponiK wrote:I have almost 120k on my v6 solara and I've never used seafoam thru the brake booster before. Is it safe to use it with so many miles?

Well, if you are worried, just use 1/4 can instead of 1/3 to see how the car reacts. If all goes well, try the 1/3 thru booster to see if smoke levels are significantly lower than the test. My first seafoam application gave out a lot of smoke, but the second one didn't

Oh, and don't forget to change the oil afterwards and clean or replace spark plugs if u must.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby x99suplarax » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:31 am

now i have alot of questions.. when you guys say at the same time, does that mean all at once or 1 at a time but all in same day? also do i need 2 extra hands or can i do it all by myself? this may be dumb but do i have to plug break line with my thumb the whole time?

also, can i let my car idle after 15-30mins after use?
and how long do i have to high rev while its cleaning?

also, i have the ngk irridiums(sry if mispelled) and i think it has 1k miles on them.. could i just take them out and replace them with new cheaper ones to use for cleaning then put ngks back in, or is that bad?
1999 toyota camry solara se v6 5 speed 178hp and 182tq
x99suplarax
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby gnegroni » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 am

Generally speaking, you should pour the SeaFoam in the oil (1/3 can) and drive if for a few miles (I did for more than 150miles). This should allow enough time for oil sludge (if any) to be dissolved. Even though you add sea foam to intake (1/3 can), any dirt disloged can find its way into the oil. That is the reason to change oil after seafoaming, or waiting until oil change is due to clean with sea foam.

x99suplarax wrote:now i have alot of questions.. when you guys say at the same time, does that mean all at once or 1 at a time but all in same day? also do i need 2 extra hands or can i do it all by myself? this may be dumb but do i have to plug break line with my thumb the whole time?

also, can i let my car idle after 15-30mins after use?
and how long do i have to high rev while its cleaning?

also, i have the ngk irridiums(sry if mispelled) and i think it has 1k miles on them.. could i just take them out and replace them with new cheaper ones to use for cleaning then put ngks back in, or is that bad?

First off, what engine do you have x99suplarax? I'm guessing 1MZ V6...

1. You don't need a set of extra hands for SeaFoam application, since you can accelerate the engine at the throttle body cable, but its easier with two. Its only during the application.

2. If you accelerate the car a bit, the engine won't bog down or die from not having vacuum on the line.

3. I don't see any problem with letting the car idle after 15-30 mins of use. Typically, once the car has rid of most of the smoke, you can drive it normally and rev hard to remove any leftovers.

4. If you still have the old plugs in, sure, change them if you want.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby HydroponiK » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:53 pm

gnegroni wrote:
HydroponiK wrote:I have almost 120k on my v6 solara and I've never used seafoam thru the brake booster before. Is it safe to use it with so many miles?

Well, if you are worried, just use 1/4 can instead of 1/3 to see how the car reacts. If all goes well, try the 1/3 thru booster to see if smoke levels are significantly lower than the test. My first seafoam application gave out a lot of smoke, but the second one didn't

Oh, and don't forget to change the oil afterwards and clean or replace spark plugs if u must.

Do you think it's safe to put in the engine as well? Doing some googling and some people say if there's sludge in the engine, seafoam can dislodge it and cause oil leaks.
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby gnegroni » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:41 pm

HydroponiK wrote:
gnegroni wrote:

Do you think it's safe to put in the engine as well? Doing some googling and some people say if there's sludge in the engine, seafoam can dislodge it and cause oil leaks.

If there is a lot of mileage on the engine, I would suggest using a smaller amount and gradual treatment. One thing though, under those
circumstances its worse to get car to those full engine flushes.

The booster application will most likely not affect. However, the engine oil application is the one you should worry about.

Once again, its a suggestion.
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby HydroponiK » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Sounds like good advice. I think I'll just do 1/4 thru the BB, and the rest in the fuel tank.

Not going to take any chances in the oil since I'll need to sell/trade-in this car in a few months.
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby gnegroni » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:56 am

HydroponiK wrote:Sounds like good advice. I think I'll just do 1/4 thru the BB, and the rest in the fuel tank.

Not going to take any chances in the oil since I'll need to sell/trade-in this car in a few months.

Sounds like good thinking HydroponiK!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby HydroponiK » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:45 am

Man, that was lackluster lol

I was expecting to see huge clouds of smoke, but it barely did anything. I did only put around 1/5th of the can in, so maybe it didn't clean as much?
HydroponiK
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby djandrey_M » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:05 pm

I put some of that stuff into the Lancer, my other car, and got loads of white smoke. It was a crazy sight to see. Didn't see much improvement performance wise, it still runs like crap. Well...maybe just a little bit better but not much....
djandrey_M
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sinnsation » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Nice tutorial.

I gave this a shot today by putting it in my brake booster line, and the oil and got quite a bit of smoke.

My car seems to idle a little slower and smoother acceleration.
sinnsation
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials