[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 01 Solara factory radio removal?
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

01 Solara factory radio removal?

01 Solara factory radio removal?

Postby emil » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Anybody know of a site that shows how to remove the factory radio from an '01 Solara? Is it a pretty easy process to remove the factory radio and install an aftermarket radio?
emil
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solara90 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:41 pm

it is fairly easy, take out the ash tray and pull the plastic trim off, and there is like 2 or 4 10mm bolts holding it in
02 solara 2az

solara90
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Ilovemylara » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:42 pm

Yup, Point your dash vents down, and put your fingers on the lip under the vents, and pull out. It should just snap out. There are 4 nine or 10 mm bolts that hold the radio in place. thats it.
Ilovemylara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby emil » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:53 pm

So after I remove those bolts, the new radio that I buy from say crutchfield should just snap in? Anything I should be cautious of?
emil
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby D-money » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:02 pm

emil wrote:So after I remove those bolts, the new radio that I buy from say crutchfield should just snap in? Anything I should be cautious of?
you will have to re use the mounting brackets from the stock radio and if the head unit is not a dbl din you will need to purchase a pocket to install with the HU to fill up the space.you will also need tgo bipass the stock amp and get a wiring harness
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby emil » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for the info. If I buy the headunit from crutchfield.com, do you know if they'll provide everything for the installation of the new headunit?
emil
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby D-money » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:14 pm

the items you need will not be included but they may offer them for an additional price
ImageImage
01 SLE V6 (Pic Edit Done by Garrryyunit)
D-money
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby emil » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Can anybody give me some advice? I looked on crutchfield.com, it recommends that I get these accessories also: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701761/ ... ther_items

Has anyone changed the radio before? It looks like all I need is that harness and the crimping tool set. Do you think crutchfields installation guide will be a good help? Also, there is an aftermarket dvd player in the car. The dvd player has it's own controls. As long as I hook up the wires correct, the new radio should play the sound for the dvd player?

Any tips you can give me?

Thanks,
Emil
emil
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby vSolara » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:05 pm

You need 1) The new headunit, 2) a toyota wiring harness and 3) a din pocket. Crutchfield provides the two accesories with most headunits (unless you buy a really cheap one).

First step of install is to remove the black center trim, which is easy. Simply take out cig lighter and then remove the ashtray. You'll stick your fingers in the ashtray hole and pull out so the trim will pop out. Remove the wires connecting to cig lighter, clock and hazard. Use socket wrench to remove bolts on the radio. Disconnect the connector on the back of the radio and the antenna. If you have JBL, you'll need to look in the hole where the radio was for two connectors that are plugged in. Remove those two - that will bypass the factory amp. You'll then take out the bolts connecting the bracket and the factory radio. Install the new HU and DIN pocket to the bracket.

The other part is to take your toyota wiring harness (two pieces, actually) and connect the wires to the wiring harness included with your new HU. Wires are color coded, so this is easy. You could crimp the wires together, or what I did was solder and heatshrink.

As for DVD player, is it setup through FM modulation? Just about the only way it could be on a stock HU. In that case it would be no big deal at all with your new HU.
2001 Toyota Solara SLE V6 - Tinted Windows, Pioneer DEH-2100IB, Pioneer Door Speakers, Custom DIN voltmeter/switchboard, interior accent LED strips
vSolara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby emil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks for the help, much appreciated. One more thing, I don't need the din tool to remove the radio, correct?
emil
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Midias » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm

I got the install kit both wire adapter and single din conversion from bestbuy and the stock brackets bolted right to it. No special tools needed.
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby emil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks for the help. You have any pictures of the stereo install?
emil
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Midias » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:57 pm

Here are some picts I took with my phone

Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5