[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY: OBX Headers Installation
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY: OBX Headers Installation

Postby TRDSleeper » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:23 pm

^ Actually, the y-pipe is only 2.5 inch wide in diameter. I know this for sure because the cat. converter that I put in is 2.5 inch.
TRDSleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby GreenSolara01 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:32 pm

Good info man

How is the royal purple oil filter working out for you?
GreenSolara01
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TRDSleeper » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Honestly, I don't know if the Royal Purple filter does a better job than the OEM Toyota filter. It might be able to last longer than 5000 miles but I'm not sure how I would be able to check on the effectiveness of the filtration. K&N and Fram Extended Guard should be able to perform at the same level as the Royal Purple and cost less too. I only bought the royal purple because Pep Boys had a coupon for $10 off purchases of $30 or more.
TRDSleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:57 am

Alright it's 2.5, cool thanks for the info.

BTW NEVER BUY FRAM

Those filters are made with cardboard, pretty much a total piece of SH*T.
All other oil filters are made of higher quality materials and work better/ last longer than anything FRAM has ever made.

I'm just trying to help. :wink:
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:58 am

99BlackSandv6 wrote:Alright it's 2.5, cool thanks for the info.

BTW NEVER BUY FRAM

Those filters are made with cardboard, pretty much a total piece of SH*T.
All other oil filters are made of higher quality materials and work better/ last longer than anything FRAM has ever made.

I'm just trying to help. :wink:

I thoughtly agree.
FRAM does suck.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:12 pm

gregtrd installed 2 complete obx exhausts in 6 hrs, bbq bob's and mine, did a great job to, if you need somthing done, talk to greg............... :drinking:
jetbtkng
solaraguy idiot racing team

Postby Midias » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:40 pm

^ including the headers?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jetbtkng » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:47 pm

thats what complete means, yes, and thats with a lunch break, greg rocks when it comes to our cars, toyota's..................... :drinking:
jetbtkng

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:54 am

Man, if I thought I could install these on my car in 3 hours I would buy them right now. But with my luck I would break a bunch of >>I'm a douche<< and have to leave the car in pieces for a while. As I may have mentioned it took me about a week to complete the TRD RSB install on my car...because I broke >>I'm a douche<<. Oh lleh I am gonna buy 'em anyway.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby JvR » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:58 am

Great Tutorial! :sweet:

The "hanging bracket problem" solution...will that not make to much noise. You can use longer bolts with some bushing.

But overall a perfect and professional install!! :wnw:

17 sept. my mechanic is going to install the headers for me incl. welding a sports catalyst and end pipe 2.5".(dual)
I just wonder if i notice some differents in whp :-?
JvR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TxBmbleBee » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 am

few questions.

1)where do you get the offset sensor wrench?

2)has anyone replaced the resonator with a high flow cat? how much did it cost to get it welded on?
"i just wanna go fast..."
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TRDSleeper » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:50 pm

JvR wrote:Great Tutorial! :sweet:

The "hanging bracket problem" solution...will that not make to much noise. You can use longer bolts with some bushing.

But overall a perfect and professional install!! :wnw:

17 sept. my mechanic is going to install the headers for me incl. welding a sports catalyst and end pipe 2.5".(dual)
I just wonder if i notice some differents in whp :-?

You'll definitely notice more power for sure with the headers installed. The sound will also be much louder but throaty and deep. When I had my muffler shop weld on a cat. converter the mechanic actually cut out the resonator at angle so when he welded the cat on on the y-pipe the hanging bracket actually hooked on properly. Kudos for the shop!
TRDSleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby TRDSleeper » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:57 pm

TxBmbleBee wrote:few questions.

2)has anyone replaced the resonator with a high flow cat? how much did it cost to get it welded on?

I got the offset oxygen sensor wrench at Harbor Freight Tools. I don't know if there is one near you but I believe you can also buy it online from eBay and such. The muffler shop that I went to charged me $80 to weld on the cat. They also required me to install the y-pipe on the car before they would weld it. At first, I tried bringing the y-pipe to them to weld on the benchtop but they said it would be impossible to orient the flange correctly unless it was installed on the car. Just a little tip for those looking to get a cat welded on.
TRDSleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:36 pm

^ Hey thanks for more helpful information.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TxBmbleBee » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:49 pm

TRDSleeper wrote:
TxBmbleBee wrote:few questions.

I got the offset oxygen sensor wrench at Harbor Freight Tools. I don't know if there is one near you but I believe you can also buy it online from eBay and such. The muffler shop that I went to charged me $80 to weld on the cat. They also required me to install the y-pipe on the car before they would weld it. At first, I tried bringing the y-pipe to them to weld on the benchtop but they said it would be impossible to orient the flange correctly unless it was installed on the car. Just a little tip for those looking to get a cat welded on.

thanks so i need to install it, then take it. that is very helpful to know and will save me time. yes there is a harbor and freight close to me as well, ill have to go look and see if they have that tool.
"i just wanna go fast..."
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5