[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Clean your throttle body
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

Clean your throttle body

Re: Same procedure for Gen 2?

Postby Midias » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:54 am

nickabbey wrote:I think it helped and I want to clean it better. I think it helped because now it's not idling down and dying, but the pedal still doesn't respond if I let it go below 1K RPM. Even if I have to pay for the pedal sensor to be replaced by a pro, I'd rather not blow close to a grand on the TB replacement.

Sense I have a cable actuated TB I am not too familiar with the drive by wire version. But if you have the car turned on and a friend press the gas pedal will the plate open?
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby skipfiddes » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Just did the TB clean and now my car won't run. It starts struggles to get to 1000-2000 rpm then just dies. Any suggestions?
skipfiddes
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Ruski » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:18 pm

yea keep pressure on the gas, the fumes have to burn up inside. take the car for a drive . hope you didnt use the whole can into the TB
Totaled 9-14-07 NEW 6-6-08 04 Se Sport White
Ruski
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby skipfiddes » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:28 pm

lol turns out I'm just a total newb. I went back outside and looked at it.... I put the air sensor in backwards. :o I only used like 1/4 of the can. It wasn't overly dirty.
skipfiddes
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby k-0tik » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Good tutorial.I got time to do it this weekend.
k-0tik
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby RFTL08 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:46 am

did this today with the vavoline throttle body cleaner. and it was dirty. got it all cleaned out and cant really tell how it works because it did my plugs at the same time,, but either way its best to have it clean. very easy to do
RFTL08
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby gnegroni » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 pm

I'm waiting to change my plugs after I do the seafoam and this procedure when oil goes past the 4k at least. Good to know it works for ya.
'05 Lunar Mist SE: 2AZ-FE, E351 and all their combined glory!
gnegroni
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

woah

Postby makethemusic72 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:58 am

hello all!

Weird thing happened to me that this process helped me out. 2 weeks ago i disconnected the battery to clean the terminals with baking soda and water. Everything went smooth after that, but after i connected everything back together, my car was idling at like 400. I was like :o . I drove it around for a bit and it drove fine, but when i came to a stop it cut off. I talked to a bunch of people and they were like "Your ECU was reset, it will take your car a few weeks to relearn it." Over time, it got gradually better, now idling at 500 RPM. I took it to toyota just to see what they think (because i do all my own maintenance) And the guy is like you need to clean your throttle body. I was confused because I didn't touch the throttle body at ALL haha. Yesterday, I decided to clean it, it wasn't that dirty at all, and after 5 minutes of work my car is back to new. It is idling at 1100 Parked and 900 drive. (I know its an automatic :cry:) What is going on here? haha!

and great tutorial!
makethemusic72
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Night Speed » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:00 am

can i use brake cleaner to clean my throttle body? thanks :)
Night Speed
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby makethemusic72 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:46 pm

no, you want to use just throttlebody cleaner, you can pick up a can at NAPA, or any auto store for about 6-7 bucks.
2003 Solara 4 Cyl, automatic. Floss as @#$%.
makethemusic72
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Clean your throttle body

Postby Saranael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Just did my Throttle Body Clean Up. Was quite dirty in there.

I didnt notice anything weird or white smoke at startup. The difference in driving is not that big either. I also swapped my air filter at the same time.

Can literally hear my engine saying "Thank you!!"....the filter looked mad dirty
Saranael
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby thatdamngoodcire777 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:39 pm

I know this is an OLD post but I recently did the clean. It was really simple. I connected everything back otgether and a few days later my check engine light comes on. Now I'm reading p1130 and p1150 error codes. WTF? I read through 7 pages of this tutorial and I saw nothing on this! Can anyone help? Car is a V6 118000mi and may need a tune-up. Its been a few years.
thatdamngoodcire777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:08 am

All the crap that you burned off through your engine made the a/f sensors read
probably way above the range they expected. You can tell it's not a serious
problem because it happened at the same time to both sensors.

If your CEL light hasn't already turned itself off--->

What I would do is just unplug the EFI fuse for a few minutes. This will clear
the CEL, and it probably won't come back on. The EFI fuse is in the box
under the hood, it's a 15A fuse and it's pretty easy to find.
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Just did a TB Cleaning.

Postby 99trollaraSLE » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:37 pm

I spent a couple days surfing threads trying to figure out why my car was having "hot start" issues. I had the typical problem where it would start fine, the I'd run into a store or something and when I'd try to start up the solara it would stall the first three tries, then grumble on the fourth try and finally start up rumbling and go back to normal after 5-10 seconds. I bought the car in July of 2011 with 113,000 miles. I had a pre-purchase inspection done at a Toyota dealer and everything checked out, except for some minor things like needing 2 new tires. So far, all I've had to do was replace the thermostat, replace my interior door latch cable, and pick up some tires. I survived the winter with now problems. Then as soon as the hot weather came around, my car got the "hot start" problem. I decided to clean the TB as I was pretty sure this was probably never done before. I also bought some seafoam, but I held off on that treatment until I'm ready to get an oil change. The process was easy as pie, but man was that thing filthy. Looking behind the butterfly, you can see it looks like someone had coated the TB with a nice layer of tar. I posted some pics below of the before and after.

Sorry to revive this thread after a year, but it's a pretty good one. Hopefully, my "hot start" problem is gone. So far it has done well, but the real test will be next week when we get more 80 degree weather.

You get what you pay for is a phrase for those intellectually incapable of securing a great bargain
99trollaraSLE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 2Gud2BTru » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Apologies for reviving such a great thread, but to reply to the above post: Yeah that is pretty dirty. It almost looks "burned" from the darkness of the black stuff. I cleaned mine a few months back and it wasn't nearly as dirty as yours.
I have a question and I have tried searching the website for an answer but I have not yet and since we are on the topic of the throttle body, I am wondering if the Idle Air Control Valve beneath the throttle body would need to be cleaned since recently with the cold coming in and cold starts in the morning, my car has had idle issues to wear immediately after starting the car, the idle is below 2k as usual at about 1.7k and the engine will fluctuate its idle. Like it will minor bounce between the idle it is at and slightly below it. If this is confusing, in simple explanation, it is like me barely revving it but the rpms instead of going up, go down. And even after the car has warmed up and the temp gauge is at barely below the middle of the gauge the way it should be, it sometimes either hesitates or coughs a bit under some acceleration. Any help will be much appreciated. I will clean the IACV this week and maybe even the TB again.
-01' SLE v6 coupe:Traded in. 223k
-06' Accord Coupe 4banger: DD
2Gud2BTru
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Previous

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5