[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Nov 7th 2009 Austin, TX Meet: *UPDATED* W/Pics & Vidz
SolaraGuy, Solara, and/or Camry events. Post your event listings here!

Nov 7th 2009 Austin, TX Meet: *UPDATED* W/Pics & Vidz

Postby TxBmbleBee » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:32 pm

guys i have to apologize. my solara will not make it up to this meet, maybe the next one tho. there is just too much going on right now, and after i "finished" the swap, it left a number of issues that need to be sorted out. and even if i resolve those issue, i still need insurance, inspection, and registration. im sure there will be a next one. as of right now i will be making the drive up there in my 4 runner
"i just wanna go fast..."
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LEE337 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:54 pm

^Thats too bad. :cry:
Atleast youll be there in a Toyota, so we will let you in the pics. :)

You should get a trailor and bring your Lara. :D
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TxBmbleBee » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:58 pm

^haha its not too pretty right now. the front and rear valences are off of it. and its got some atrocious dings. once i finish the engine mods and interior, its going straight to the body shop.
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby LEE337 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:30 pm

^Just gona get the dings fixed?
...or plan on changing up the paint scheme?
Texas SolaraGuy Meet
LEE337
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby TxBmbleBee » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:51 pm

^^changing paint is possible since im getting the body moldings resprayed. i would have no clue what color to get tho, and the deal would have to be incredible.
TxBmbleBee
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chinky420 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:46 am

great my starter went out last night

but my z3 should be out of the body shop this week
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Gibson99 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:06 am

hey starters are quick and easy to fix most times - just rebuild the solenoid if all its doing is that one click thing. a set of contacts is about $25 at the dealer.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gibson99 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:35 am

HOUSTON MEETUP/CARAVAN INFO

** if you want my cell number, PM me YOUR cell #, and I'll text you back.

Short version: 7:30 am in front of Steinmart - northwest corner of SH249 and Louetta. Leave at 8am and hit a few back roads before getting on 290 to austin.
directions to meetup location
route from houston meetup to Rudy's

Long version: At 7:30am, meet up in the old HEB parking lot (Now it's Steinmart) on the corner of SH249 and Louetta. For those who don't know the area, it's the one with KFC, McDonalds and Taco Cabana in the parking lot. I think this will be a nice starting point on the NW side that isn't in the ghetto (it's across the street from HP - used to be the Compaq main campus), and has a couple somewhat fun roads that we can hit on the way.

Try to get there by 7:30am so that we can have a quick photoshoot (hopefully there's enough light!) and maybe get some breakfast. There's a little place in this shopping center called "The Egg and I" that my wife loves, but I've never been. There's plenty of other stuff in the area if you want.

Leaving at about 8am, We'll hit Louetta out to Grant road and turn right, and go up Cypress-Rosehill to FM2920, then head out to 290. There's a few fun curves on that route - a little less boring than simply taking spring-cypress to 290, and only slightly longer mileage-wise.

Then it's pretty much cruise control on 290 out to austin, then pick up FM2222 out to Rudy's.

Google maps route from houston meetup to Rudy's

click here to get directions to the houston meetup location - just put in your starting location in the A box on the upper left and it will get you directions there.

Coming from the south, the directions are a little off - once you get on 249 north from wherever you're coming from, exit Louetta like it says but turn left at the first light (Louetta), not Jones. Immediately after you go under the bridge, turn right into the parking lot next to KFC.

If you are coming from Tomball, the directions should be correct, just turn in after you pass McDonalds.
Last edited by Gibson99 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chinky420 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:22 am

Gibson99 wrote:hey starters are quick and easy to fix most times - just rebuild the solenoid if all its doing is that one click thing. a set of contacts is about $25 at the dealer.

it did the multiple rapid clicks, then a stuttering click, then no click (yeah, i know i'm not supposed to repeated juice a bad starter, but my impatience got the best of me).

i think i'm just gonna replace the whole thing....it shouldn't cost too much, eh?
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Gibson99 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:46 am

the machine gun thing means low battery or loose connection. does it start if u jump it?

we been selling a lot of batteries at autozone this past week since the cold front blew through... any time the weather changes, batteries die. i'm actually starting to suspect the one in my camry - it sounds like it's cranking a little slower than normal.

battery is cheaper than a starter.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chinky420 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 am

well, the battery had enough juice to try and crank three times, and afterwards still had enough juice to power my subs and roll the window up and down.

i'm pretty positive it's the starter. it only machine gunned at me once, the second time was a long single click...the third time i tried turning it over it ended up having a sort of electrical 'pop' sound (sounded out through my speakers and seemed to have that electrical white-noise 'whine' to it as it diminished)

but i'll look into it, as my battery had died about two weeks ago (from sitting), and it jumped right up.

i also think it may be the starter because a couple days ago i had done a 'half-start' where i turned the key, but let it go too soon (causing the engine to try to start, but eventually die out). if doing this can mess up a starter, it'd be easier to assume it's a starter issue.

btw, if it is the starter, what happens/could happen if i repeatedly try to start the car? i want to be cautious since i know that a starter uses quite a bit of electricity, and i don't want to have anything actually blow up on me.
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Gibson99 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:18 am

Chinky420 wrote:i also think it may be the starter because a couple days ago i had done a 'half-start' where i turned the key, but let it go too soon (causing the engine to try to start, but eventually die out). if doing this can mess up a starter, it'd be easier to assume it's a starter issue.

bumping the starter won't hurt it. we do that all the time in the shop just to turn over the motor a tiny bit to either look at belts (to try and read markings on them), to move the pistons a little, or even things like breaking the crank bolt free when doing timing belts.

now letting a battery sit and slowly discharge to the point that it has to be jumped, THAT can kill a battery.

i say bring teh battery to autozone for a free test. heck, pop the starter off and bring it in too, see if their machine shows anything. both tests are free. (yes, i work at an autozone)
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Gibson99 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:30 am

Chinky420 wrote:btw, if it is the starter, what happens/could happen if i repeatedly try to start the car? i want to be cautious since i know that a starter uses quite a bit of electricity, and i don't want to have anything actually blow up on me.

you can overheat a starter motor by sitting there holding the key for over a minute at a time. that's pretty much it. but typically if it takes that long to try and start your car, you'll kill the battery before you kill a starter.
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Chinky420 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:07 am

advice dually noted

i just recently replaced the ground wire terminal, i'll go back and re-examine all my electrical connections, then take both to the zone....then if it turns out to be the starter and not the battery, i'll prob try the starter contact replacement kit first (since it's cheapest), then try to find a whole new starter

if its the battery then i'll replace the battery

thanks for the insight, gibson
sorry for the slight thread jack guys
Chinky420
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby Gibson99 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:31 pm

just trying to keep attendance up. it's bad enough we're gonna have a [H] there... we don't need a roundel too... ;) :P
Gibson99
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

PreviousNext

Return to Events