[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Planet Audio Big Bang series amps = eargasm
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Planet Audio Big Bang series amps = eargasm

Planet Audio Big Bang series amps = eargasm

Postby MisterTedster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:27 am

Hello SGers! I just recently hooked up both of my Planet Audio big bang amps, the bb150.4 and bb175.4 to my system. OH MY %$@!-ing goodness! I entered aural nirvana. I just though you guys would like to know in case someone was looking for an amp as these are very cheap refurbished on ebay, which I got.

My system is as follows:

HU: Pioneer deh-p6000ub (has 4V pre-outs)
Front Components: Sony XSGTX1620S
Rear: Sony XSGTX6930
Subs: Two 12" Alpine Type S in only a 1.2 ft^3 enclosure
Amps: Planet Audio BB140.4 powering components
Planet Audio BB175.4 power sub only (so far, still have another two channels to play with)

Yes I know Sony car audio is not very highly regarded, but if you take a look at the reviews on those speakers, no other speaker can touch them in that price range, I even prefer them to the Alpine Type-R's.

I've never heard a system that sounded as smooth like mine. Oh and these amps are also Class D, meaning more power into actual sound and less is lost as heat as compared to Class A/B. These two amps suck out so much power that even with the higher efficiency my headlights still dim on heavy bass notes.

Before this set-up, I was pretty impressed with the premium oem system in my mom's '09 BMW 3-series, but after she heard mine she asked why I hadn't done the same to her car as I did mine. :lol:

So if any of you guys are thinking about buying new amps, the Planet Audio BB refurbs on ebay are the way to go!
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Planet Audio Big Bang series amps = eargasm

Postby 1gSE » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 am

MisterTedster wrote: These two amps suck out so much power that even with the higher efficiency my headlights still dim on heavy bass notes.

big 3 upgrade. After that, look into a cap. I haven't done mine yet and my apline mrp-m1000 is barely breaking a sweat
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Aotoyota » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:05 am

two amps and your lights are dimming? holy cow. thats pretty inefficient.

I have three amps on my gen2 with factory alt and just a kinetik battery and never had the lights dim. ( 2 Alpine pdx4.150 and 1 pdx-1.1000

Try regrounding the battery and maybe increase the size of the cable from alternator to the battery ( part of the BIG 3)
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Midias » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:22 am

Time to upgrade to the highlander alternator
Midias
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby MisterTedster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:31 am

According to the less-than-subtle folks at caraudio forums and diyaudio, caps apparently do nothing even though there appears to be a lot of anecdotal evidence to show otherwise.

Do I go with a few well-informed people, or go with the overwhelming masses who may or may not necessarily know what they're doing?
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby dkertis10 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:19 am

i'm going to do the big 3 upgrade when i get home from school next week cause i've been getting a little dimming with my 2 kicker amps. does anyone have any tips for me on doing it? or know if home depot or any store sells a high guage wire like a 4?
Kicker sound system, 17 inch MB Wheels on Continental ContiExtremeContact tires, more mods to come..
dkertis10
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby MisterTedster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:36 am

I was just at home depot yesterday looking for power cables too. They do not have thick power cables, only speaker cables up to 12 gauge. I'm thinking of trying Radioshack, and if I have to, just resort to Best Buy or ebay.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 1gSE » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:47 am

some one recommended an ebay seller for cheap power cables...lemme find it

::edit::
here it is

http://stores.ebay.com/KnuKonceptz-com
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby MisterTedster » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:13 pm

I've heard knukonceptz makes good wires that are true to their rating. They don't pad their wires with extra insulation to make the advertised gauge measurement.
MisterTedster
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5