[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - ohmeters again.
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

ohmeters again.

ohmeters again.

Postby wooshkie90 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:19 am

Finally got back on here. Just had a quick question. I have a Kenwood KAC-7204 amp, and a Kicker CVR12 DVC 4ohm in a ported box. Right now, the specs on the amp say it can handle a 4ohm load when bridged, which is how i have it now. My question is about the ohmeters. Does the load on the sub need to match the load on the amp?? I have my sub wired in series so i think it makes a 2 ohm load but the amp in bridged mode handles a 4ohm load. Am I doing damage??
Southern Cali does em best!
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:40 am

If the Sub is wired as a 2Ω load and the amp is not stable when bridged with a 2Ω load, you will damage the amp.

Don't turn anything on yet. :D
Trust me, I'm a technician.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:45 am

You should just run the amp in 2 channel, with one channel per voice coil. If you do that, both the amp and sub will be happy.
You really have no other option with that setup.

You'll have 170rms per coil, on the sub. That is a total of 340wrms. Which is perfect for the sub, since it is designed to handle 400wrms.

The resistance of the sub is the load on the amp. They are both the same. If the sub is 2Ω the load is 2Ω.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SoSleek » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:32 pm

99BlackSandv6 wrote:You should just run the amp in 2 channel, with one channel per voice coil. If you do that, both the amp and sub will be happy.
You really have no other option with that setup.

You'll have 170rms per coil, on the sub. That is a total of 340wrms. Which is perfect for the sub, since it is designed to handle 400wrms.

The resistance of the sub is the load on the amp. They are both the same. If the sub is 2Ω the load is 2Ω.

This is correct...with one exception. It is not the ONLY way to wire it. There are two other options and those options would be to wire at 2 ohm or 8 ohm. 2ohm is not an option due to the amp not being 2 ohm stable. The following set up would be an 8 ohm configuration. It involves bridging the amplifier and running the voice coils in series. This would result in about 250w per voice coil.

(Channel 1 +) to (Voice coil 1 +)
(Voice coil 1 -) to (Voice coil 2 +)
(Voice coil 2 -) to (Channel 2 -)

If I am reading how you have your set up now, it sounds like you are configured just as i typed above. Using this set up you will be drawing an 8ohm load. Maybe take a photo for us so we can confirm your set up. I would recommend switching up the wiring to how BlackSandV6 suggest. Just see which one your ears prefer! Both are safe!
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 99BlackSandv6 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Yeah you could also run 8Ω. I didn't think about that. It would be a little unconventional, but It should work. Go ahead and try them both.
99BlackSandv6
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby wooshkie90 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:39 pm

so would i have to run a wire through the port to get to the second channel kuz the wire connection on the box only has one pos/neg connection. thx for all the help
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SoSleek » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:30 pm

Nope. What you would do then is the following...

1. (Channel 1 +) to (External Red Terminal on Box)
2. (Internal Red Terminal on Box) to (Voice coil 1 +)
3. (Voice coil 1 -) to (Voice coil 2 +)
4. (Voice coil 2 -) to (Internal Black Terminal on Box)
5. (External Black Terminal on Box) to (Channel 2 -)

WALAAAAA! you'll be BEATTTTIN SON! txt me if you have questions...Ill PM you my Cell Number...
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:08 am

Yo Wooshkie did you ever get this up and running like described? How's it sound?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wooshkie90 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:24 am

i hookd it up like you told me, and tested it out, and it seems it gets louder the way I have it wired. I have it how blacksandv6 told me to wire it. do you think this is safe for my setup, or it your route a safer approach?? either way is good for me, I just like alotta bass in my music. cnt wait til i can afford another 12
wooshkie90
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SoSleek » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:36 am

Well wiring it at 4ohm like 99BlackSandv6 first suggested is what i would consider the most conventional method of wiring 1 DVC sub to a 2 channel amp....BUT, the lower the impedance, the more strain on the amp (in lamens terms, at an 8ohm load the amp will run cooler than if wired at 4ohm). This shouldnt worry you though because your amp has been proven to be 4ohm stable. You should hear more clarity in the bass at an 8ohm load. I am wondering how it is louder though, because how i calculated it it seems the 8ohm wiring should send each VC 250w, compared to the 4ohm wiring sending only 170. Maybe I'll look into that a bit more. But honestly as long as you double check your wiring and it is either how i listed it or how 99BlackSandv6 listed it you should be safe, so just pick which one you think sounds better. Make sure you are listening to your subs, making sure they arent clipping.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5