[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - 07 SLE Convertible stereo upgrade (JBL w/nav)
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

07 SLE Convertible stereo upgrade (JBL w/nav)

07 SLE Convertible stereo upgrade (JBL w/nav)

Postby rockguitar86 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:49 pm

I have the JBL system with navigation, and would like to keep the head unit, but am thinking of upgrading the rest of the system and have some questions.

first priority is upgrading the sub. the stock one actually starts distorting a bit when turned up. has anyone replaced the stock speaker but kept the jbl amp powering it? (i'm assuming the jbl amp is powering it, along with the other 6 speakers) i'm guessing the results would be better getting an amp. i'm torn between the JBL GTO804 and Polk db840, as i'm looking to use the already-built enclosure (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... 1|107DB840). if i decide to get an amp, i was thinking of the kenwood KAC 6104D (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KAC6104 ... tml?tp=115), as i could run it off of the speaker outs from the JBL during the first phase, and then off of a line out if i upgrade everything else.

after the sub, im thinking of upgrading everything else. because i'm wanting to keep the stock HU, i'm wondering if the crossover between the door speakers and windshield mid/tweeters is handled by the amp or the head unit or the speakers. also, is it possible to get a line level output from the head unit to run into an amp, and what are those line level outputs (eg, is there a subwoofer line out, or separate line outs for the doors and windshield speakers, or is it just 4 for front left, FR, back left and BR).

Bestbuy.com seems to show that a lot of their 6x9's will work, i'm assuming in the doors. anyone had a lot of trouble putting speakers in the doors? and how difficult is it to replace the back speakers? (i saw the post from joe cat about MB quarts from their reference series working well, but i couldn't find their 6x9s on their website anymore)

one last question: does anyone know the ohms/wattage ratings for the stock JBL speakers, including the sub? just in case i replace the speakers and keep the jbl amp for a bit.

thanks for the help. i've had it for a month and i'm loving this car, and loving it even more thanks to this website
rockguitar86
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ~SolaRaSpeed~ » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 am

I think you need to ask yourself what you want from the system first. Because as you upgrade each and every piece you will eventually need a new head unit unless you want to spend some money on something like this

edit, look up in your trunk at the bottom of the speakers, might list a model or the ohm of the speaker
~SolaRaSpeed~
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby rockguitar86 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:51 am

i had actually considered getting something like that. i'm kinda worried that it might make the install more complicated as far as running wires. i'm still kinda brainstorming what i eventually want, hence all of the questions lol.

i've looked at the pics of the jbl speakers to try to see, and there's nothing technical listed, although i could try to look up the model number. JBL's site says that each toyota system is custom designed with no off the shelf parts used. (there aren't any speakers in the trunk of the convertible to look at, only the coupe ;) )
rockguitar86
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby crispone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:17 am

From my experience, I'd work toward a complete H/U + Amp + Speakers if you want decent sound. I just wasn't impressed with any of the attempts I have made to use oem amp powered outs-to-line level conversion and then aftermarket amped. If you are "staging" your upgrade, I'd strongly suggest JUST good speakers for starters, then H/U (powered direct to your speakers OR line level and through amps right off or bring the amps into play later if you have decent powered H/U. Personally, I look for NON-powered H/U as it generates LESS HEAT and are usually more reliable and higher quality specs. dollar for dollar.

CONSIDER: Stock H/U signal to noise ratio (don't know actual spec.) is NOT very good overall! Your ultimate system sound quality is a byproduct of the "weakest link", and if your primary SOURCE for the signal is of poor or mediocre quality, you will just be amplifying it through equipment that is compounding the "noise" and making the distortion louder.

Last thoughts: Too many people pursue the SUB WOOFER upgrade as their primary, or initial upgrade to a system. I've never heard a system with JUST the sub modified without an improved sound stage in AT LEAST the front speaker set that sounded worthwhile. STAGING up front and the clarity of the highs SUPPLEMENTED by a good low frequency "fill" is the only ticket. SUBS don't improve musicality, just "body" and "depth" to whatever the rest of the system produces.

CONSIDER: SUBS come into play at frequencies in the 200hz and BELOW range. Usually cut off at 150hz or below. THAT'S ONLY a SMALL FRACTION of the frequency coverage of music! Focus should be on the other 90%+ of the musical signal IMHO.

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby rockguitar86 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:12 am

yeah, after taking a careful listen last night, i think it's the fron 6x9's that are causing a lot of the problem. when i turn it up, they start clipping when there's a kick drum hit, and sometimes even cut out for a second here and there. my dad has some nice 6x9's left over from a custom install on a 1960 Impala that was totaled :( so i'll see if i could use those to test out where the problem is.

i thought it was the sub that was clipping, which is why i was making that first priority, but turns out it was the low end on the 6x9's that's the main problem.

does the stock h/u have line level outs, or do you have to use the powered amp outs to line level conversion first?

my dad's 1961 vette has a custom install he did and he's got a bazooka sub and almost the exact same kenwod EQ you have, so i was thinking of maybe trying to throw one of those EQs in btw the stock h/u and amps if the h/u has a line level out once i get a new sub and amp, etc.

i know the H/U is gonna be the weakest link. i just don't want to lose the navigation features, and other than the bass clipping when turned up and i think it could be a little louder, i'm not dissatisfied.
rockguitar86
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: 07 SLE Convertible stereo upgrade (JBL w/nav)

Postby gmendonc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:38 pm

Did you ever upgrade the subwoofer? I'm thinking of doing something similar. I upgraded my HU with a Dual XHD7714 and a PAC TATO interface to use the factory JBL amp and speakers. Sounds pretty good but I'd like more low end punch without having to tear up the whole car.
2006 Red Solara Convertible
Alpine CDE-HD149BT HD Radio/CD Receiver
Polk Audio db840DVC 8" Sub
Clarion SRG6932R 6x9's
Infinity Reference 5350a 5 channel amp
Kicker KS600 6x5's
gmendonc
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5