[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Alpine iXA-W407 Installed
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Alpine iXA-W407 Installed

Alpine iXA-W407 Installed

Postby 04RedSE » Thu May 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey guys, I don't post here very often but I wanted to share my joy.

Last November, I finally pulled the trigger on a headunit with Ipod control/charging capabilities. I was so tired of using POS fm transmitters.
The Alpine iXA-W407 is a driveless headunit. No internal moving parts or cd player. I haven't touched a CD for about the last 2 years...but I was a little hesistant to totally ditch that technology. I decided to go for it. This Alpine is a touch screen unit, with built-in bluetooth, iPod audio/video, USB, and a couple of RCA inputs for whatever other devices you desire.
Alpine, like many other manufacturers love to have seperate modules for everything. The only module I bought was the HD tuner. It works really good and the sound quality is incredible. It's near CD quality. I've considered buying the GPS mod, but I can't see myself using it much, plus it is way over priced for something that cannot be used portable. There is an in-line power amplifier that I may add on at some point.

I did the install myself using a Metra 95-8512 install kit. I was a little unsure how it was going to match up color-wise with the rest of the silver trim, but this kit is money! Matches near perfect! And it fits like a glove.

I also used the PAC SWI-JACK steering wheel controls interface to save my controls. Works slick. Took me a few trys to get it programed the way I wanted it, but I got it now. Like others have posted in the past, it is a little bit slow/delayed in responding to button pressing. But it isn't bad.

I also used the PAC TR-7 video bypass module so that I don't have to have the car in Park, parking brake on, and all that BS required to watch iPod video. This mod allows you to watch video while driving. I don't really recommend it, but it is pretty damn cool. With the Alpine, you can't just ground out the parking brake wires, it looks for a sequence of power, from the brake lights and parking brake indicator. This little module requires no programming, just wire it in and go.

See all my Pics on
FLICKR

Sorry I don't have any install action shots, but it was actually really to install. I had it all done in a few hours after work one night. Enjoy
2004 SE Sport.
04RedSE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby mig0s » Thu May 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Looks good especially with that bluetooth dial pad! Can it play mp4 or avi videos?

I'm not sure about no more CD's tough..but I guess it will be useless since you can use your iPod.
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Aotoyota » Thu May 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Nice...whats your impression of it now that its been a few days?

likes dislikes?
Alpine + Dynaudio = Sonic bliss.
Aotoyota
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 04RedSE » Thu May 06, 2010 7:57 pm

I really like this headunit. Like I said, once I made the leap over to my Ipod, I really haven't kept a CD wallet in my car for quite a while now.

Couple of little complaints. I wish Alpine could improve the method for finding songs on your iPod. If you have one particular song in mind, you gotta scroll forever to find it....very big pain in the butt. I had an old Alpine single din MP3 CD player and it had a scroll wheel that was super fast compared to this thing.

The other thing I don't like is that I can't use the telephone keypad during call, (i.e. voicemail password, numeric menus) ...gotta do it on the phone - kinda defeats the purpose of hands-free.

Once in a great while there's some funky interaction between the Alpine and the iPod, but overall its smooth.
2004 SE Sport.
04RedSE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 04RedSE » Thu May 06, 2010 8:05 pm

About the MP4 or AVI vids.....I don't think it'll let you play them on a USB thumb drive....Pretty sure the only way you can do it would be to load those vids onto your iPod - which isn't hard to do. I have a few music videos that were mp4 and I now have them in my iPod.
2004 SE Sport.
04RedSE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SoSleek » Thu May 06, 2010 10:07 pm

So this has no CD slot at all?
2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sasebo » Fri May 07, 2010 12:06 am

Who really needs CD's? Like he says in the begining. He hasent used CD's for 2 years. Frankly neither have I. This looks like a really great setup. Awsome job!
Sasebo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby NightRider » Sat May 08, 2010 12:49 am

Pretty slick. I like!
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby KoZ-44 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Nice Installation man. I'm using a scosch double din kit and its not totally flush. How does the metra line up on the sides? Where did you order it from?
[img]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9258/img0458u.jpg[/img]
KoZ-44
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ETMegabyte » Mon May 10, 2010 1:36 am

Your install looks pretty sharp. I like your dash kit better than mine. I bought a scosche, and it doens't fit quite right...

Anywho, a couple of notes for those considering options...

I installed an Eclipse AVN52D (which is exactly the same as the AVN5500). One of the reasons I went with Eclipse is that the factory steering wheel control harness plugs directly into the Eclipse unit with no adapter needed. Steering wheel buttons are fast and smooth. Another nice thing with the Eclipse unit is that there's no messing with adapters to allow video while driving. Simply ground the parking brake wire and you're done!

One drawback, though. The Eclipse iPod Controller doesn't play videos from the iPod. And, like yours, you have to scroll through if you want a specific song. I got around that by using playlists...

I had the factory JBL stereo, so I needed a harness to bypass the factory amp. Not a big deal, but...

Anywho... Just throwing out thoughts...
ETMegabyte
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 04RedSE » Mon May 10, 2010 6:24 am

Actually, I just bought the Metra install kit off e-b@y. Yeah, it fits just like the factory and the color is about as close of a match I can expect.

+1 on playlists. I serioulsy considered buying an eclipse. I can't remember why I didn't, but I've had Alpines in the past and always like their stuff.
2004 SE Sport.
04RedSE
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 2 and 2.5