[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Air Conditioner Noise
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Air Conditioner Noise

Air Conditioner Noise

Postby yar02169 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:53 pm

The A/C works fine, but I have an occasional squeal. Starting from a stop the A/C compressor squeals for a short bit (10 seconds-ish), then it goes away until I need to stop again. The dealer has looked at it and gave me a $1400 price.

I'm wondering if it might be a bearing that can be replaced instead of replacing the compressor? I'll buy a $300 compressor and do it myself, but if it can be fixed with a $25 bearing, that would be even better.

3.3 L 2005
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Air Conditioner Noise

Postby linmk2 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:51 am

Are you sure the noise is coming from the A/C compressor? A worn fan belt will cause a squeal when it slips on the pulley. The fact to noise seems to happen when you are leaving from a dead stop then stops, makes me think that the issue might be belt related. A bad compressor will cause the belt to squeal as well because the pulley can't spin, but, as a rule, a bad compressor or bearing the noise will not stop. Just a thought.
Howard
Arctic Frost Pearl/Ivory, Navi 2006 SLE Convertible
linmk2
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby yar02169 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:42 pm

Thanks for the input, but two things still have me thinking it's the compressor; 1. the dealer said so (they could be wrong, but...), and 2. the squeal is never present with the A/C off. I would also think that a bad belt might also make noise under various type of acceleration, and it doesn't.

I'll never return to that dealer as they didn't even want to help trying to get it covered under warranty. I had 37,000 miles on it at the time, and was out by 3 months time-wise. I did call Toyota, and they wanted to talk to the dealer/area rep, and nothing came of it. The dealer actually told me that I didn't visit the dealer enough. I was happy to tell them that since they opened a year ago, I had them do my oil changes. Since I put on about 7000 miles a year, how often did they expect me to be there? I assured them that it was the last time they would see me.
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby NightRider » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Try taking a flat head screw driver and use the tip it to scrape the edge of the belt(s) a little bit to scrape away the build up on the belts. This also helps with a squeal you may deal with. Start with the small and simple fixes first before you take the big leap.
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby indiglosolara » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 pm

Sounds like the belt to me. You are not hearing the sqeaul with the AC off while driving because there is no LOAD on the belt with the AC being off. The pulley just free spins.

However once you turn the AC on the Pulley now has a LOAD the Compressor is on and the belt spins the compressors pulley.

I think you should try the belt first. Its allot cheaper then going straight to the compressor. Plus if it turns out you a compressor you now already have the belt which is recommended to replace if you are pull the old one off anyways.
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby NightRider » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Update on this?
2004 Black Solara V6SLE COUPE
5% rear window tint 20% front window tint
Injen polished SRI
Alpine Deck w/ complete Rocksford Fosgate speakers & subs
TRD FSB 6000K HID's
NightRider
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby yar02169 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Here's an update. I never did anything because the AC keeps on working. I either deal with a minute of squealing, or shut off the AC for a minute of driving, then all is well, usually. There are times the squeal will happen at another start from stop, but a quick hit of the switch and it's gone again. Turn the AC on again and all is well.

Until today. I was out and I noticed the AC didn't seem right. A quick glance and the green light on the AC button was blinking. I shut it off, then on again and it resumed normal operation. It did shut off one additional time, but that's it. The car has just under 55,000 miles on it, so it's lasted almost 20k miles, not that I know what 'it' is.

It there any update on repairing the problem? I'm still thinking it could be a replacable bearing, and with the time that's passed since my original post, I'm hoping there's now a solution.
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:13 pm

The squeal, like said above is most likely, just the belt slipping. I have the same issue upon start up, after a while the squealing goes away. If I start up with the ac off it wont squeal but if its on it will. To see if it is your belt open your hood, start your car, and spray some silicone or belt dressing on the belt when its squealing. If the squealing stops you know its just your belt. As for the ac indicator light flashing, that can happen due to excessive slipping of the belt. Your lara can sense if the compressor is turning at a different rate than the other pulleys in the loop.

Sorry for the long read but in short, check your belt and replace if necessary. Having your belt replaced will be much cheaper than your compressor.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby yar02169 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:09 pm

It is my intention to go with the new belt before I start thinking compressor replacement. If, and it's a good sized if, a new belt solves the squeal issue, that brings up two points: the first is that belts are supposed to be good for 60k+ miles, so why did it start to act up at under 40k? Second, and more scary than anything else is that the dealer gave me a quote for a new compressor, which leads one to believe one of two things - they don't really know what their doing in evaluating a problem, or, they know what their doing, and like to take advantage of their customers to the fullest extent.
I'll change the belt in the near future and see what happens. If a new compressor is needed, I'll buy one for $300, or hit a bone yard, and replace the damn thing myself. If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm Anna Rosanne Danna, goodnight!
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yar02169 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Well, I replaced the belt this past week, and the squeal is gone.

I've been wondering what to do about the $1400 quote the dealer gave me and the $23 solution to the problem. I figure if I walk into the dealer and ask for the owner, I'll never get there, nor will I reach anyone that should know about this situation. For all I know, it's an approved unofficial method of getting income, so I would just be barking at a wall. I'm sure there would be no avenue to go by contacting Toyota to report the dealer and their actions. It hits a nerve that it was a $23 dollar fix, and how many people get lured into paying big bucks when it's not necessary. People don't have the spare money these days, or any days to be paying for something that does not have to be done.
If anyone does have a way to notify Toyota directly about this, or the dealer (Tufankjian Toyota Of Braintree), I would appreciate it. Who knows, maybe the dealer pokes around here and I'll be contacted. I know, when the phone don't ring, I know it's them.

Ray
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby ThurzNite » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:59 pm

Just curious, have you changed the radiator fluid? Do you see dried radiator fluid in your engine bay? I think it's reddish brown orange. I was working on a toyota recently that complained of squealing very similar to yours. There was also specs of red/orange around the belt area. Like you, I went to the dealership, talked to service manager, who told me to change out the radiator fluid. He said for a period of time, Toyota used a diff kind of coolant that seeped out, got onto belts and everything, and made a mess. Sure enough, after changing the coolant, never had the squeal. There might even be a TSB on it, lemme search. BRB.

Back, didn't find a TSB on it, but googled and got this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ost1077326
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/yota-pink-yo ... st50741909

And you know what, I wish I knew which I put into that car! Pink? Red? I dunno!!! He just told me "put this stuff in there". LOL. Sorry I'm not much help, but anyways, check your coolant. :)

Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby GzNutz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:45 am

I found these numbers here http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2007/04/30/toyota-customer-service-tips-for-getting-your-problem-solved/, but they may not be current since the article was written in '07. Good advice in the article though, worth a quick skimming.
NATIONAL HOTLINE: 800-331-4331

REGIONAL OFFICES:

Boston Office (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI) 508-339-5701
New York (NY, NJ, CT) 973-575-7600
Central Atlantic (PA, VA, WV, MD, DE) 410-760-1500
Southeast Region (NC, SC, AL, GA, FL) 954-429-2000
Cincinnati Region (MI, OH, KY, TN) 513-745-7500
Chicago Region (MN, WI, IL, IN) 630-907-0150
Kansas City Region (ND, SD, NE, KS, IA, M0) 816-891-1000
Gulf States Region (OK, TX, MS, LA, AR) 713-580-3300
Portland Region (AK, WA, OR, ID, MT) 503-493-4900
Denver Region (WY, CO, UT, NM, AZ, NV) 303-799-6776
San Francisco Region (Northern CA) 925-830-8300
LA Region (Southern CA) 949-727-2700
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby trishab79 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:53 pm

I am having the same squealing problem with my 04 solara. It is annoying and embarrassing when your car is screaming at everyone. Husband changed my belt and that worked for a couple of weeks. The squealing started back a couple of weeks later right after having an oil changed/car wash. Now I just ride with my finger on the air condition button to turn it off if it starts to squeal. Like everyone else it only squeals when the air conditioner is on and barely moving after being stopped, stops squealing when I turn the air off or either stops after I have reached a higher speed. I will now have my husband try Gznutz and ThurzNite's suggestions. Thanks!
trishab79
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby techadvocate » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:31 pm

yar02169 wrote:Well, I replaced the belt this past week, and the squeal is gone.

I've been wondering what to do about the $1400 quote the dealer gave me and the $23 solution to the problem. I figure if I walk into the dealer and ask for the owner, I'll never get there, nor will I reach anyone that should know about this situation. For all I know, it's an approved unofficial method of getting income, so I would just be barking at a wall. I'm sure there would be no avenue to go by contacting Toyota to report the dealer and their actions. It hits a nerve that it was a $23 dollar fix, and how many people get lured into paying big bucks when it's not necessary. People don't have the spare money these days, or any days to be paying for something that does not have to be done.
If anyone does have a way to notify Toyota directly about this, or the dealer (Tufankjian Toyota Of Braintree), I would appreciate it. Who knows, maybe the dealer pokes around here and I'll be contacted. I know, when the phone don't ring, I know it's them.

Ray

Yelp!, baby!
05 Conv SLE V6 | Black 'n Tan | Alpine + XM | PIAA HIDs

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3843602
techadvocate
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yar02169 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Update: Still under 60,000 miles, the squeal has returned, even with the new belt. One day I'll get out there with a mechanics stethoscope, well actually a real one modified, and see if I can pin-point the source of the damn noise.
Yelp! might be the thing to do, if I can determine that it's not the A/C Compressor.
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5