[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Postby SoSleek » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 am

This attests to the quality of the DDM Tuning Digital Slim HID kit's. The kit pictured below are my 35w 8000k fog light kit.

Drove about 5 miles at 50mph hearing a clicking/metal slapping noise every time I hit a bump. Was listening to try to diagnose it by ear before pulling over in confusion. This is what I found...

2004 Black Solara SE Sport - Minneapolis, MN
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Any uncertainty on the quality of DDM Tuning HID's?

Postby 1gSE » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:01 am

lol. Hopefully mine DDM's don't go that route. The cheaper ones i have in the fog lights though, i don't might if they get trashed, they're only 40 something bux. Actually one morning heading to work, I noticed the right side of the road was dimmer than the left. That ballast said adios and I don't know when it happened. Oh well, I replaced it shortly after

::edit:: they have ridiculous low prices right now too
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SoSleek » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:38 am

Yeah I was looking the other day...CrAzY low. The thing that surprises me on that is that they have custom housings for the electronics (stamped with a beveled DDM logo), and the electronics are all quality parts, not to mention how well they are sealed (I posted a link a while back of someone who dissected several kits to compare). I don't know how they can sell lower than these other companies who all use generic parts and housings and just slap a different sticker on them. Great product, and great price. Can't lose there.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:42 am

PS: I should note that the reason for the ballast getting thrashed is because of the one product they used that was not of top QUALITY...The mounting tape. I will recommend that you use NO other mounting tape than 3M's VHB tape...which stands for Very High Bond. This is the strongest mounting tape 3M makes and it outperform any mounting tape out there. Use Acetone, or isopropyl alcohol, to prep all mounting surfaces. Picture below...

SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TRDSleeper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 am

^ I agree with you. My DDM Tuning HID kit came with cheap double sided tape. As soon as the engine got hot the ballast just slid off the mounting surface. I got some 3M tape just like you and it hasn't moved since.
TRDSleeper
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kingkakyle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:09 pm

where did u mount them btw??
just got some for my fogs, and want to mount them up soon
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SoSleek » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Just find any flat spot on the frame. No specific spots works the best.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby tSse06 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:56 pm

kingkakyle wrote:where did u mount them btw??

I didn't know where to attach them so I placed mine on the black empty brackets that were there, nothing is attached i just put them on top and left them. Its unstable but i've been driving very crazy and none of them fell off, yet BUT when speed bumps come along I would hear them.
tSse06
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SoSleek » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:16 am

tSse06 wrote:
kingkakyle wrote:where did u mount them btw??

I didn't know where to attach them so I placed mine on the black empty brackets that were there, nothing is attached i just put them on top and left them. Its unstable but i've been driving very crazy and none of them fell off, yet BUT when speed bumps come along I would hear them.

Bad idea... :-?
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:11 am

Sleek, I'm considering getting HID's, but dont know anything about all that besides the color temps. I want a slight blue hue, while still being really bright. I dont wanna look like a ricer... Care more about it being brighter and being able to tell that they are HID's.

What should I order? Id wanna do my fogs too.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Sounds like you are looking for exactly what I wanted...You need the H11 kit (low beam) and H10 kit (fog lights). I bought the 55w 8000k's for my low beams, and 35w 6000k's for my fog lights. The higher watt ballasts tend to wash out the color temperature of the light so that is the reason you raise the Kelvin rating of the low beams.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby k-0tik » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 am

I've been thinking of getting some 3k's for my fogs from ddm. Would be a good birthday gift to my self :)
k-0tik
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:51 am

SoSleek wrote:Sounds like you are looking for exactly what I wanted...You need the H11 kit (low beam) and H10 kit (fog lights). I bought the 55w 8000k's for my low beams, and 35w 6000k's for my fog lights. The higher watt ballasts tend to wash out the color temperature of the light so that is the reason you raise the Kelvin rating of the low beams.

can i see pics of your lights? I heard that 5500k is brightest.. but i still want very slight blue.. would a 6000k be the way to go instead?

How much more would it be to also get the high beams in HID? Or is this not possible since our highs are just the DRL's with steroids? lol
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SoSleek » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:24 am

The hard thing about photos of HID's is that the White Balance on a camera picks any subject matter in the photo that is the brightest, or closest to white, and color corrects the photo to make that the "white". So taking an accurate photo of the color of HID's is kinda difficult. I will attempt it though, and if it doesn't turn out the right color I will color correct it in Photoshop to try to make it accurate.

As for the high beams, on our Gen 2's they use a seperate bulb, so you could definitely do high beam HID's. I would say test the 55w low beam HID's first though. Once you see how bright they are, I don't think you will ever have a use for anything brighter, haha.
SoSleek
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kingkakyle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05 pm

color-wise i can say for 35w kits wkbrdr i have 6000k and i probably have the color you are looking for
it has a slightttt blue color to it
but if what sosleek says is true and 55w slightly changes the color output....then i wouldnt know
so as 35w kits go 6000K is what u want
kingkakyle
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades