[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - rear night time running lights are out
Stock talk about Solara

rear night time running lights are out

rear night time running lights are out

Postby pro956 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 am

Hi guys.

I'm not sure if they're called rear night time running lights, but basically, at night, when I turn my head lights on, my rear lights don't come on. My brake lights work, but when I'm not breaking there aren't any lights in the back of my car. I checked the fuse in the fuse box and it was blown. I replaced it and it blew right away.

Any thoughts on what I should check next? Does anyone know the path the wires go?

Thanks a bunch!
AIM: pro956
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Re: rear night time running lights are out

Postby Solarasian » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:18 pm

i had the same problem. my dad rewired it and it ran fine. i think theres like a short circuit somewhere. i dont know how he re wired it tho. when it comes to wires and stuff like that im useless
Auto SLE V6
6000k VVME Bi-Xenon
GReddy SP2 catback
injen SRI is2030p
Kaminari Lip Kit(stand by)
Tokico hp Struts
Tein S Tech
Solarasian
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby wkbrdr91 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:25 pm

I had the same problem with my left brake light... before you rewire your brake lights, try changing out the bulbs, thats what my issue was (even though its the same bulb for both "night time running" and braking)

I think my sub's must have blown it early.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pro956 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:13 am

wkbrdr91 wrote:I had the same problem with my left brake light... before you rewire your brake lights, try changing out the bulbs, thats what my issue was (even though its the same bulb for both "night time running" and braking)

Hm, I used to have huge subs...

Did your fuse blow after replacing the fuse (before changing your bulbs)?

Does anyone have a diagram for the pathway of the wiring? Does anyone know the part # for the 02 bulbs?

Thx
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:42 am

pro956 wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:I had the same problem with my left brake light... before you rewire your brake lights, try changing out the bulbs, thats what my issue was (even though its the same bulb for both "night time running" and braking)

Does anyone have a diagram for the pathway of the wiring? Does anyone know the part # for the 02 bulbs?

Thx

Only fuses that I have had that have blown is the horn fuse, due to my 3 air horns, plus 2 steel "normal" style horns, and 2 stock horns. I had to double the power on that fuse...

If you go to advanced auto/autozone/pep boys... whatever you want.. they will most likely know what bulb you need.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pro956 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 am

wkbrdr91 wrote:
pro956 wrote:

Thx

Only fuses that I have had that have blown is the horn fuse, due to my 3 air horns, plus 2 steel "normal" style horns, and 2 stock horns. I had to double the power on that fuse...

If you go to advanced auto/autozone/pep boys... whatever you want.. they will most likely know what bulb you need.

Ok, then I doubt we had the same issue since my fuse blows immediately. Thanks for the tip though.
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby wkbrdr91 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 am

pro956 wrote:
wkbrdr91 wrote:
pro956 wrote:

Thx

Ok, then I doubt we had the same issue since my fuse blows immediately. Thanks for the tip though.

I'm no huge electrical person.. but I would assume thats a short.. check the physical condition of the cables.. good luck.
2006 Solara Sport
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby pro956 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:28 pm

I finally had time to look at my car. Does anyone know the part number for the wire (harness?) that runs from the fuses behind the coin box to the rear/tail lights? I traced the problem to two possible wires that are in that group of wires. I figure the easy thing is to replace that set of wires, just can't find the part number/name anywhere.

Thanks!
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby pro956 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:18 pm

I just removed the wire harness (plug thing) that runs from next to the fuse box behind the coin tray to the tail lights, put a new fuse in, and it still blew when I turned the head lights on. Any thoughts? Could something be wrong with the fuse box itself?
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby pro956 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 am

does anyone have a diagram for an 02 solara for the fuse box and -- more importantly wire harnesses under steering wheel? What all does the rear lights fuse connect to? I feel like it also runs some lights in the front. Is that possible? What is the light position called just before you put your headlights on? It turns on some lights but not the main head lights. When I put that on, the fuse blows.

Here is a photo to the fuse box and wire harness:
http://img220.imageshack.us/i/fuseharness.jpg/
You can see the harness is removed, I blew another fuse this morning. Does another one of those harnesses that are connected run off of that fuse? The fuse slot is empty in the photo, it is the middle fuse of the 3 empty ones.

Thank you.
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby pro956 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:35 am

the drl light run off of that fuse too. does anyone which wire harness runs from under the steering wheel to the drl?
thanks!

a lot of the oldies on here used to have the haynes manual-- really looking for some help here.
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby pro956 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:19 am

It seems despite what the manual says, that fuse is connected to some other lights.

I removed the side and turn signal light bulbs in the from lights and the fuse doesn't blow anymore.

Everything is now working except for not having front turn signals and high beams (from the side lights).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
2002 5-speed se v6
pro956
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Postby indiglosolara » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:33 am

did you change your corner lights recently? if you did, don't use the supplied harness. use your stock ones.. some of the guys (including myself) that change to the black housing headlights had issues witht he aftermarket socket that comes with the corner lights. I had the same issue as you. Then I put the stock one back in and problem was gone.

If you didn't then I would check for pinched wires in the corner lights.
indiglosolara
Solara 2 xB
Solara 2 xB

Postby xyntax » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Wow. I'm having the same exact problem right now. I knew solaraguy would have someone post this problem up. I have blown many 10a fuses on this one. Using my remote lock/unlock, which blinks the tail lights, will burn that fuse. Last night, I placed a 20 on it just to be able to get home at night, but even that burned out when I got home :evil:

Oh well, I'll check all the bulbs and keep them out until I find which line is causing this problem. I hate the corner lights. You are right, this fuse runs through the front corner lights and the rear tail lights. The signals and brakes still work fine despite this problem.
-~=| XYNTAX |=~-

2AZ-FE & 13B-MSP
xyntax
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Megan Racing coilovers

Postby rahim6 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:28 am

Hello,
Easy suspension tuning is in your hands. S - Tech was made so that everyone can enjoy sports driving. TEIN based these springs on original specification so that the installation is easy. Full compliance with car inspection, and great styling. Adding some more exicitement to your ride.. The highest quality brought to you at great JayDM prices. Now comes in two types to choose from.
rahim6
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM