[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSD/4.0/DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - looking to buy a solara
Stock talk about Solara

looking to buy a solara

looking to buy a solara

Postby mjwilson711 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Have been looking to get a solara and don't want to spend a lot.. so I have been looking at 99-02's. Haven't been able to find many with manual trans. Have found one 99 with 118k miles and v6, but it is overpriced at around 5800. What do you guys think about auto vs manual... should just wait for the right car or settle with a decently priced auto..Also, i there a huge difference between the v6 and 4 cyl... or should i definitely be searching for the v6..
mjwilson711
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: looking to buy a solara

Postby DriDed » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:11 pm

If you are looking to get the Solara, I say V6 is what you should only be looking at. The price difference between the I4 and V6 Solara is small.

Manuals are more fun to drive, unless you are always stuck in heavy traffic then I would get the stick.

I saw a 99 Solara V6 with the stick for only $2300 on CL and it had over 100K miles.
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby mig0s » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 pm

If you want a manual, DO NOT buy an auto. There's nothing like the regret of buying something you don't like and being stuck with it. The one with 118k miles, if you can get it down to 5000$, it would be a decent deal imo if it's in excellent condition. I got mine last year, 99 V6 manual with leather for 5400$, 95k miles. Mine was mint with 0 mechanical problem.

Search a little, you can even drive a little to get it. But don't buy a car you don't like, even for a good price.

Also, be sure to get the V6! More power, same gas consumption than the I4. Be sure the oil changes are done frequently though. But usually it's not a big deal.

Good luck
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mjwilson711 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks guys, good advice... Now i'm pretty sure i want a v6 manual, i just don't want to over pay. Its the first car that i am buying myself so its been a new and frustrating experience, but I want to get it right.
mjwilson711
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby solaraqueen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:00 am

i kbb'ed a 2000 & private party price with 110,000 miles fair condition $3,500, good $5,400, & great $5,900, so if its in good shape then the price is about rite....
solaraqueen
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby ozzieny » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm

Just purchased an'04 Solara with 128k 4 cylinder for $4800. Drives like dream. It drifts left however like all these cars do. Other than that its a really comfortable car.
ozzieny
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Toyota Solara OEM