[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Upgrading head unit Will i lose my factory amp power?
Talk about audio, video and nav installations and applications.

Upgrading head unit Will i lose my factory amp power?

Upgrading head unit Will i lose my factory amp power?

Postby OkesonGTP » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:07 pm

I'v decided to put a couple of 12" subs in my solara's trunk. i have hooked up many sound systems and subwoofers in the past but this is the first time i'v worked with a car that has a 200w factory amp powering its 8 Factory speakers. My factory JBL system in my 2000 solara sounds great, very crisp and clear at high volume and when the bass is turned up the factory subs shake my Rearview mirror. I'm affraid that if i install an aftermarket head unit i will lose all that power (kinda like some cars lose stearing wheel controls). So my question is- Will installing a aftermarket headunit make my factory speaker amp useless? is there some kind of adapter i have to buy to keep my speakers high powered?
OkesonGTP
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Upgrading head unit Will i lose my factory amp power?

Postby DV8 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:01 pm

To keep the JBL amp you'll need this adapter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127TATO/PAC-Toyota-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

Unfortunately it's pretty pricey, $75 worth according to crutchfield.

There's not much room to work with so many wires, so I had it professionally done. If you plan on upgrading the stock speakers also, you may want to just save up for an after market amp to power those. It's nice to still be able to use the stock amp, but now I'm just wondering how everything would sound with a different amp to properly power my new speakers.

Hope this helps, and good luck with everything!
DV8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby OkesonGTP » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm

DV8 wrote:To keep the JBL amp you'll need this adapter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127TATO/PAC-Toyota-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html?tp=3486

Unfortunately it's pretty pricey, $75 worth according to crutchfield.

There's not much room to work with so many wires, so I had it professionally done. If you plan on upgrading the stock speakers also, you may want to just save up for an after market amp to power those. It's nice to still be able to use the stock amp, but now I'm just wondering how everything would sound with a different amp to properly power my new speakers.

Hope this helps, and good luck with everything!

I went to best buy and they gave me the same adapter for like $20, it works well too. I only needed to get a new head unit that had 3 RCA pre-amp outputs. Ended up with a pioneer deck and a couple of Vibe black air subwoofers. sounds great.
OkesonGTP
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby DV8 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 pm

Great to hear you got it all put together!
DV8
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to Audio/Video/Navigation