[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Engine block sealant
Stock talk about Solara

Engine block sealant

Engine block sealant

Postby Sol-Toy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Any tips on engine block sealants? I just had the front valve cover gasket replaced, but it's slightly leaking in the rear. Any tips on products? Pre-oil change additives? Specific types of oil thats not the conventional type?
2013 WRX Wagon Premium in crystal black silica - current

2012 RAV4 S - Wife's

2000 Solara 1mz - sold after recording 160k mi

https://www.instagram.com/andygriesemer/
Sol-Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Engine block sealant

Postby ThurzNite » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:25 pm

There's a ton of stop leak additives out there. Toyota will tell you don't add anything in there unless it's toyota brand. Never seen toyota stop leak for your issue though.
I've had experience (not in my solara tho) with Auto-RX. http://www.auto-rx.com/sealleaks.html But you said something non-conventional oil huh? Guess it's not for you.
Short of actually going in there and replacing the seal, what a pain!!!
Dr J
ThurzNite
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Sol-Toy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 pm

I'll do conventional too. I just figured that there might be a specific type out there thats not the type of oil one normally puts in a newer, lower mileage, perfectly running motor. Know what I mean?

It's not a big enough pain that I felt compelled to re-seal the rear. I have the gasket sitting here, I just didn't want to spend the extra few hundred to have them pull apart the whole back end to get down there and replace it. Plus, I park on the streets of chicago. I'm not worried about oil droplets on garage floors or driveways — I doubt that its accumulating enough to leave droplets anyways.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll look into a toyota option and your auto-rx brand.
2013 WRX Wagon Premium in crystal black silica - current

2012 RAV4 S - Wife's

2000 Solara 1mz - sold after recording 160k mi

https://www.instagram.com/andygriesemer/
Sol-Toy
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TadS » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:56 pm

Is it the rear of the front valve cover gasket, or is it leaking from the rear valve cover gasket also? I did my Dad's ES about 2 years ago, the rear one is kind of a PIA to get too.
Let's just pretend I didn't grow up, or you're going to be terribly disappointed.
TadS
SolaraGuy Supporter
SolaraGuy Supporter

Return to Toyota Solara OEM