[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Sub W/ Factory Headunit Help
Talk about audio, video and navi stuffs.

Sub W/ Factory Headunit Help

Sub W/ Factory Headunit Help

Postby Solorange » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Hey I have a 8" MTX Thunder4000 sub a friend gave me. What are the parts I would need to hook this up to the factory head unit? Any suggestions on amp? Just looking for something cheap that will get the job done. It doesn't have to be extremely powerful. Also whats the best way to wire this?

I did this 10years ago, and I don't remember much. If I remember correctly I hook a power cable from the battery to the amp. A ground wire from the Amp to a metal surface on the car like the body or frame. Then hook speaker wire up from the amp to the sub per the amps instructions. Then run a RCA cable from the amp to the headunit. Is this right?

Thanks for the help!
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Re: Sub W/ Factory Headunit Help

Postby PaulR » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:38 am

Solorange,

You are correct about the installation. There is also a trigger wire that should be wired to the headunit or, if you wanted, to a 12V source that comes on with the ignition. The easiest way to install it is with an amp install kit, which will set you back about $15. Here is an example of an install kit (I have used this kit before, works well, plenty of wire):

http://www.amazon.com/KIT-2-Complete-Ga ... 144&sr=1-1

Do you have an aftermarket headunit? If you don't, it will get a little more complicated. Did you have the JBL system stock?
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Solorange » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 pm

I have the factory head unit and it is not the jbl one.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby 1gSE » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm

does the factory radio have RCA outputs?
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Solorange » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 pm

I would imagine it doesn't, but I have a spare radio sitting around I can check when I get home.
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby enz1ey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:31 pm

The stock head unit likely will not have RCA outputs, as most do not. However, rather than buying or installing a whole new head unit, the simplest and easiest route to go is to grab this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... YnBAFp0ZZw

And just splice that with your rear deck speaker inputs, and viola! You now have RCA outputs from your head unit. I've done this a few times for some friends who liked their stock receivers, and it works just fine. It even has separate gain adjustments for each channel. That should solve your problem. Other than that, the basic wiring of the amp is done just as you thought. A decent wiring kit runs about $50, but you may want to get one with an included capacitor to ease the load on your battery. They only run maybe $30 more than the basic kits.
enz1ey
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Return to A/V/N Gen 1 and 1.5