[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - DIY: Gen 1.5 Projector Fogs
Non-tutorials will be deleted.

DIY: Gen 1.5 Projector Fogs

DIY: Gen 1.5 Projector Fogs

Postby SpeedySolara » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:16 am

Last month I read a thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31036) that CAMRAZY posted years ago about his friend retrofitting projectors into the Gen 1.5 Solara fog lights (same as 02-04 Camry & 05-08 Corolla). I took great interest in this project and did some research so that I could do the same. I'm uncertain if this guy ever finished his fogs but this was the latest picture I saw:

Exactly one month after reading that thread, I finally have everything I need to complete this retrofit and I'll document it as I go along for those guys that may want to do the same as theres not much information online specific to this retrofit.

Parts/Tools you'll need to complete this retrofit:

1. Solara Gen 1.5 Fog Lights
2. Bosch Mini H3 Projectors
3. Dremel Tool w/ several tips
4. Several flathead screwdrivers
5. Wrench
6. Adhesive to glue back the lens
7. Marker/Pencil

Step 1: Remove the lens

I used aftermarket black housing fog lights for this project so it makes it easier to see the mounting points/tabs on the pics. What you want to do is stick a small, flat screwdriver in the opening spaces between the lens and housing (refer to pic below) and slowly work your way around the lens. Besides the two tabs on both sides of the fog light housing, the lens are glued on so it might take a little effort to take them off. Once the glue is apart, pull from the pointy corner first and the rest will come off.

Step 2: Removing & marking the inside reflector

The aftermarket fog light I used should be identical to the oem fogs in dimensions with the exception of a cheap bulb thats used instead of the oem 9006 bulb. If you have the oem fog light, remove the 9006 bulb and the rubber seal. If you have the fog light style below, remove the three screws and then the rubber seal.

After removing the rubber seal, mark the protruding portion of the reflector that comes out of the housing all around as shown below which should measure 1cm. This will be used later as a reference point.

Now to remove the reflector, loosen the screw shown in the picture above until you cant loosen it any more. Then, push the reflector out with your hands. If it moves but wont budge, turn the fog light around and pull the lens towards you and it should pop out.

Step 3: Modifying the housing to fit the projector

With the inside reflector out, I attempted to put the projector inside the housing but a small screw underneath the projector prevented it from fitting. Since the screw needs to stay on the projector for functionality purposes, make a groove on the housing itself where the screw could slide into. In order for the projector to be centered, measure the bottom of the opening where the projector will go into. This should measure 5cm. in width so the screw needs to be centered right on the 2.5cm. line. Mark the housing as shown in the pictures below with the width and depth of the screw so the groove is made accordingly. My screw was 6mm wide and 4mm deep so I made the groove accordingly. Finally, make the groove 1cm. long (towards the front of the fog). You could get away with doing less but I wanted to make sure the projector went all the way into the housing.
NOTE: The trick here is cutting and test fitting to prevent overcutting.

*Fig. 1 Width

*Fig. 2 Depth

Once the groove is made, it should look like this:

The rest is to be continued...

All thats really left is modifying the inside reflector which is where CAMRAZY's boy left off lol but I'm eager to finish this project. Opposed to him, I intend on cutting the inside reflector to the contour of the projector but that'll take a lot of time and tedious test fitting so I'll leave you guys with a taste of what I've done thus far:

What do you guys think?
[size=150][b]Get your Big Brake Kit today:[/b][/size]
http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?t=48573
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Re: DIY: Gen 1.5 Projector Fogs

Postby GzNutz » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:47 am

Great start to a DIY. Can't wait to see the finished product!
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SpeedySolara » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:11 pm

OK Done! Here it is...

I'll update the above when I have some more time but wanted to give you guys a taste of my completed project.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Looking good. Are you going to use plexiglass to have the clear lens or are gen1.5 clear already?
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SpeedySolara » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:11 pm

DSM_Lara wrote:Looking good. Are you going to use plexiglass to have the clear lens or are gen1.5 clear already?

I already sealed it with the tinted lens. I just took the picture of the light with the lens off to show detail.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby SpeedySolara » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:30 am

Step 4: Modifying the reflector

1. The reflector should have a reference line 1cm wide if you correctly followed all the steps above.
2. Using that line as a reference point, measure 2cm in (for a total of 3cm) and cut all around. I'd recommend using a laser leveler for a precise cut.

Fig. 1 Top Side

Fig. 2 Bottom Side

3. Measure the middle of the opening (widest point) on the reflector which should measure 6cm.
4. Draw lines all the way down on the back of the reflector and mark the midpoint at 3cm as a reference point to center the projector.
5. Measure & mark the width of the projector on the back of the reflector as well. This was a little under 5cm (4.8cm/48mm to be exact). I'd recommend using another color like red for this so that it doesn't look overwhelming & it prevents you from confusing the points.

6. Reinstall the reflector and check if all the points match up. The center point on the reflector should be in the dead center of the screw indent/groove made on the fog light housing.
7. Assuming everything lined up, uninstall the reflector and install the projector.
8. Draw a faint line on the main fog light housing where the rim of the projector ends.
9. Take out the projector & measure the distance from the line drawn back. It should measure 5cm. With this being said, another 2cm have to be cut to account for the projector.
10. Using the red points on the back of the reflector, measure 2cm in & cut out the opening for the projector. (Hint: If your reflectors have lines like mine, use them as a guide).

Fig. 1 Top Reflector Guide Lines

Fig. 2 Bottom Reflector Guide Lines

11. Reinstall the reflector and projector for fitment. There should be a little space between the reflector and projector. If the reflector is touching the projector lens, grind or cut the reflector so they don't touch.
Step 5: Modifying projector light cover Image

1. Cut off the oem mounting tabs/brackets so you have a completely round cover.

2. Try to install the cover and projector together. Wherever the bottom screw meets up with the cover, thats where you'll make a cut-out so the screw could go into.

3. Loosen the screw on the projector, without removing it, and slip in the cut-out portion for the screw and tighten it.

Step 6: Finishing touches

1. With the projector out, reinstall the rubber seal. You may need to cut the inner portion of the seal to account for the projector and trim around the screw on the projector.

2. Add a small hole on the back of the rubber seal so the rivet on the projector could fit into it. (Look closely at the pic below)

3. Reinstall the projector in the housing and lay a leveler on the rear of the projector to get it leveled. Adjust as needed.
4. Once the projector is leveled, secure it so it won't move/fall off. I personally made two small brackets to keep it fixed.
5. Put some adhesive on the rim of the fog light housing and reinstall the lens. Make sure it dries before installing it on the car.

FINISHED PRODUCT:

Disclaimer: I don't take any responsibility for any damage/injury you may incur to yourself or any property. This project is done completely at your own risk.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby DSM_Lara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:05 am

Very Nice. Any pics of them on???
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby kenny6683 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:25 pm

nice!!!
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SpeedySolara » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:57 pm

I haven't installed them yet but when I get the HID kit for them I will.
SpeedySolara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Return to Tutorials Gen 1 and 1.5