[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Turn Signals affecting Fog lights' operation
Stock talk about Solara

Turn Signals affecting Fog lights' operation

Turn Signals affecting Fog lights' operation

Postby jimmm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:21 am

I just noticed tonight for the first time that when I engaged my LEFT turn signal, while my fog lights were on, the fog lights TURNED THEMSELVES OFF until after the signal stops blinking, and then the fog lights come back on again. I first noticed that something wierd was happening up front while I was driving, but it was raining and I could not tell for sure what it was. When I got home and pulled into the garage, I was able to verify exactly what I wrote above, however, In the garage, I also noticed that when I use the RIGHT turn signal, it DOES NOT affect the normal operation of the fog lights. Does anybody know what is happening here? I do know that it is normal for the fog lights to turn themselves off during high beam operation.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Re: Turn Signals affecting Fog lights' operation

Postby kenny6683 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:31 am

did you ever do the the independent wire mod?
any special wiring with lights?

i would guess the fogs are currently connected with turn signal wire somehow...
or
unless your main light switch has gone bad (internally) and now when you signal left it is
doing something to your fog light ON position

relay for fog is separate from turn signal so it cant be that.
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jimmm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks for your response, Kenny. I have not done ANY wiring or lighting mods on this car. I am the second owner, but I see no evidence of any wiring or lighting mods. I have owned this car since January 2009, and this is the first time I have noticed this problem. I always use the fog lights when it rains or is foggy. I am currently at 106,600 miles.
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby kenny6683 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

thats odd...
well i am no expert but just suggesting these could be possibilities
since no wire mods then i would think its the switch but i could be wrong

Relay for fogs and turn signals are seperate so i doubt it is any of these
but always worth checking and also the fuses.

These are the cheaper things to check first
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby TLMNICK » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey Jim,

That's a strange problem you're having. Assuming that the car is completely in its stock form (electrically), the only thing that should shut the fogs off are the highbeams. Try putting your full headlights on (with the fogs), and then signal left. Look to see if your highbeams also activate. If they do, then there is some type of electrical gremlin in there somewhere. I wish you were closer to me...it's tough to diagnose these kinds of problems without having the car sitting in front of me.
TLMNICK
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby jimmm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:18 am

^Thanks for your advice and offer, TLMNICK. Actually, on my Solara, the foglights work ONLY when the full headlights are ON and not seperately from them, and the foglights turn off when I engage the highbeams. So, what you suggested is exactly the way that I assessed the problem. I'm going to get my mechanic, Chang Soo Kim, to check it out Saturday morning. He's usually a genius when it comes to difficult problems. In the meantime I did a google search and found the following on a Nissan Titan Forum:

Turn signal/ fog light problem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I'm driving at night with my fog lights on, they quickly flash off and then on again when I use my turn signals. Any ideas?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Turn signal/ fog light problem
Most likely a loose wire on the turn signal post since the fog light switch is on it to.
Hmmm that makes sense. Thanks. Let me see if I can find some instructions on how to access it.
Just take the plastic cover off the column its only a few screws.
-----

Although this may not be the answer to my Solara problem, at least I have a similar "gremlin."
Thanks again, TLMNICK.
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby PaulR » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:33 pm

I had the same problem on my 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser. It was the multifunction switch, the switch that controls the headlights, fog lights, and turn signals. The internal contacts can become worn or over-extended, causing the symptoms that you describe. It sounds as though this is most likely your problem.
PaulR
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby jimmm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:38 am

Thanks, PaulR. My mechanic and friend agrees that it is the multifunction switch that needs to be replaced. It's not suprising that anything that is multifunctional, like multi-tasking, wears out faster. Now that I know what it is, I will put it on my "to do list."
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby chriscarter » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Bad ground
chriscarter

Postby crispone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:29 am

Jimmm... if you price that part, you MIGHT find it's more "affordable" to "tinker" with it (or have "Change Sum Stem" check it out for you...) and it might be a simple contact or ground or such as described. I've heard those multifunction winker-stems are pricey!

G/L!

-crisp :evilbat:
crispone
Immitagably Verbose Dude
Immitagably Verbose Dude

Postby jimmm » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm happy to report that I fixed my turn signal/fog light problem today that I posted about here three months ago. I had been driving without using the fog lights since then. With the onset of winter weather here in north Alabama, I was finally tired of the handicap, and I wanted to increase my visibility in the Christmas rush. I had my mechanic, (Chang) Titan Soo Kim, to replace the whole turn signal switch, and now everything is working as it should. I love the firm feel of the new switch in operation too. The part had to be ordered because it is not a common problem. I guess I'm just a heavy switch hitter. :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mig0s » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 am

Wow I have the EXACT same problem but I've done the independent fog light mod on my car. And everytime I turn on the turn signal it does a weird sound like bzzzzzz and my fogs would turn off. I'll try to see what's up with my wires
1999 V6 5-Speed... so beautiful :' )
Black housing headlights, corner. 55w 6k HID, 2500k fogs, TWM Short Shifter+weighted knob, Tein+KYB, TRD lip kit + Acura CL type-S front lip. TSW Kyalami 18x8. Cutom 2.5" SS free flow muffler.
mig0s
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Return to Toyota Solara OEM