[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Air Conditioner Noise
Stock talk about the Generation 2 and 2.5 Toyota Solara which was released in 2004-2007

Air Conditioner Noise

Re: Air Conditioner Noise

Postby techadvocate » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Seriously, I am having the same issue almost identical to what you described. I have been living with it as you did, but will likely get it checked out when I take my Solara in for service related to the NEW SAFETY RECALL notice I just received for ENGINE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY noise.
05 Conv SLE V6 | Black 'n Tan | Alpine + XM | PIAA HIDs

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3843602
techadvocate
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yar02169 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks for the info regarding a possible recall. If you're experiencing the same noise that I described, and got notified by Toyota, I'll be waiting for the notice in the mail.
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yar02169 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Stopped by the dealer to inquire about the recall, and my car isn't part of it.

That means that I'm still stuck with a squeal. I do hope to get it to be squealing at the appropriate time, so that I can have a listen with a stethoscope and pinpoint the source. It has a mind of it's own these days, making a racket at start-up, when slowing down for a stop light, but not while driving. Weird, but with warmer weather coming, hopefully repaired soon.
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yar02169 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:32 pm

Another update. Sitting at 61,000 miles now, and yes, I'm still living with the squeal. I would actually say that there are two distinct squeals, one during start up, which I would say is a belt noise, then the other one, when the A/C is turned on. I did poke around with a stethoscope one day and the squeal is definitely coming from the compressor. Someday I'm sure I'll make a post here that I finally changed the compressor and all is well, until then, I'm just gonna piss off others with the noise as I drive around with the top down, and the A/C cranked up on high.
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yar02169 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Currently at 65,000 miles, this all started with less than 37,000 miles, but out of warranty due to time.

While poking around to see how much a replacement Compressor will cost, I came across a 'Compressor Clutch Bearing' that sells for $22.00. Does anyone know if it's this bearing that is causing the squeal? Replacing that would probably not only save me the cash of another compressor, but the expense of having the freon removed and re-installed. A new compressor can be found for $170, but if it's only $22 to fix it, I would prefer that route. If it is the cause, any guess how difficult it is to replace?

The squeal will be fixed if it only cost $22, may hang around a little longer if it's $170.
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby yar02169 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:27 pm

The Squeal is gone!

66,000 miles. I was looking into replacing the compressor, as it was the cause of the noise. Recently the noise became a bit more frequent, so it was time to do something. While looking on ebay for a re-manufactured compressor, I came across replacement clutch bearings. Doing some utube searching, I found various videos on how to replace the bearing. It looked simple enough, and at a cost of $22 (w/shipping), it would be a relatively cheap gamble before spending $200+ on a replacement compressor. I found a company called Automotive Budget located in New Port Richey, FL and gave them a call (727) 232-0887. I ordered Item # 2027 (ID 30mm, H 22mm, OD 52mm) which is good for the Denso 10S17C compressor in the V6 3.3L Solara. A couple days later, the bearing was delivered.
I had the A/C system evacuated by a friend, and I was good to go. I put the car up on ramps to reduce back strain, and got to work. Do as you're always told, and disconnect the battery. I didn't, and when I was removing the alternator the cable hit ground and I got a good spark, I then disconnected the battery cable. The alternator was probably the hardest to remove, but it wasn't hard. The compressor came out and off I went to the work bench. I used a large pipe wrench to hold the pulley while I loosened the center bolt. The clutch/pulley came off easily, just don't loose any of the spacers inside the bolt cavity (I only had one washer). The back of the pulley is where the bearing is, and it's peaned in place. A Dremel tool with a grinding disk will cut away the peens. Now to press out the bearing. I used a small Arbor press, and made sure the pulley was supported well so that it wouldn't distort while pressing out the bearing. Some PVC pipe connectors did the trick nicely. For the Arbor press, I used a long wrench to help add some leverage, and the old bearing popped out.
Supporting the pulley from the opposite side, it was time to press in the new bearing. After I got it into the pulley a little bit, I added Lock-tite to the outer race of the bearing, it will hold the bearing in place, and new peaning won't be needed. I pressed the bearing into place and was done, back to start installation.
The compressor went in, the alternator went in. The hard part was getting the serpentine belt back on. All done, time to start the car and see if it was money well spent. Turned the key, and nothing. Dash lights were good, but it wouldn't turn over. Checking the drivers side of the engine compartment, the power distribution box had a 120A fusible link for the alternator, it was blown from the mis-hap during the alternator removal. The fusible link fell apart instead of coming out like a fuse would, the two legs remained fixed and would not budge. Using a jumper wire, I was able to test and start the engine, and the squeal was gone, success. Got another fusible link, and watched utube again to find out how the link is replaced. It turns out that the air intake must come out, the battery must come out, and the power distribution box needs to be unbolted. Once unbolted, the top needs to be separated from the bottom, bunches of little snap things hold it together. Once apart, there are 2 screws that need to be loosened, one for each side of the the link, and then the legs can come out. Plug in the new replacement link, and put the 2 screws back, and everything else that was removed to get to it. This job was worse than the entire original job. Got the A/C recharged by the same friend, and everything is wonderful. Every time I pull up to a red light, I still expect to hear the squeal, but that gone now. All this for a simple $22 part. I only wish I found this part 30,000 miles ago...
yar02169
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Thu May 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks for updating. This info will certainly be useful to someone on here.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wkbrdr91 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:15 am

Just an FYI, I had my compressor replaced for $800 at the local GMC/Buick dealership. Toyota charges a fortune for maintenance, even for a dealership.

Though I only replaced my compressor because my air horns wore a hole through the original one, wasn't making a noise.
2006 Solara Sport
TRD RSB, lip kit, 2 12" Sony sub's, Injen SRI, 18" BBS rims, Tein springs, TRD struts, 5% tint, neons, 5 air horns, 55W low & fog HID's.
wkbrdr91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Previous

Return to Stock Gen 2 and 2.5