[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - EVAP System
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

EVAP System

EVAP System

Postby highmileage02sleConv » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:17 am

As many of you know my 02 Solara has alot of miles (NYC area roads add at least 5-10 years worth of wear to a car), the past 9 months me and my mechanic have been battling the EVAP system in the car. I use the term battle because being the good mechanic he is, he did not want to find the most expensive thing (charcoal canister) and say that's combined with the valve head slowly leaking oil of the years was (well explain if asked) causing the problem. The problem im having is the CEL coming on and staying on after hard acceleration and "chug". As of the last visit to the shop he has deiced it is definitely the charcoal canister and Friday im having that replaced. Is this common problem with the V6 engine? Anyone else with high millage have similar issues? I just hit 169K last week and not ready for any more surprises! :crazyeyes:
2002 SLE V6 Convertible 172,600 Miles! Black on what used to be Beige and in need a of a new top!
highmileage02sleConv
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: EVAP System

Postby ozone » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 am

Had to replace the one on my wife's high mileage 1999 V6. It is definitely a common problem on these cars, as is sludge.

The book has a procedure for checking the charcoal canister for problems. I followed this procedure to determine that the canister was leaking. There is no need to "guess" if it is bad.
World's first V6 powered AE92. . . in progress.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby highmileage02sleConv » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:16 am

Update: The mechanic did not replace the charcoal canister as he was not sure if it would fix the EVAP problem. He said he did not want to waste my money on a part that might fix the problem as there are two or three other parts that could be the problem. Is there any urgent need to fix the EVAP problem? My mechanic said once the canister goes than we well worry, or if another part goes. We both agreed that any repair bill over $1k would not be worth it.
2002 SLE V6 Convertible 172,600 Miles! Black on what used to be Beige and in need a of a new top!
highmileage02sleConv
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1st Gen Sol » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:30 pm

I have the same problem on my v6 Solara. I haven't gotten a chance to do anything on it yet, got the VSV sitting on my table.

You might wanna check the VSV sensor first and then from there work your way through the EVAP system. I'm assuming you have the 1mzfe motor and would check under the plastic cover on top of the motor. There's 3 sensors under it, one is blue (which is the one I would check first) and two that are brown. The fourth one is connected to the charcoal canister in the rear. Also check any loose or crack tubes connecting them.
1st Gen Sol
Stock Sleeper
Stock Sleeper

Postby highmileage02sleConv » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:34 am

If I can remember correctly my mechanic checked the sensors and a few weeks ago replaced one of the tubes in the system as it was cracked. Ill make sure I ask him about it when I get my oil changed next month! This is really annoying!
highmileage02sleConv
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby kenny6683 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:06 am

i just started working on this issue myself.
Check Engine Light P0446 was lit
Tools needed: needle nose pliers, flat head screw driver, 14mm socket with short extension and rachet
Suggested tools: Safety glasses and mechanic gloves ( alot of dirt and debris)

i ordered new canister assembly. Part no: 77740-06170

<This image is sideways>
Location of Charcoal/Vapor Canister between fuel tank and spare tire
should remove hose in this area to have easier access to the 14mm bolt

This plug was very annoying to remove...be patient with it
i broke plastic ring which holds it in place. i believe ring should be squeezed and then pulled but its very
tight in this area which makes it tough

inserting new canister...it will get a bit scratched as i didnt remove muffler or any other parts
do not force it in...just keep moving it around until you find perfect angle. if you force it you might brake valve or hose connections
<This image is sideways>

after installing this brand new canister and with all new assembly
I came up with code P0441 now...which is the valve on canister
i think i connect hose wrong, so today i took it off again and changed 2 of the lines on canister
i pray the code does not return...i will let you guys know.
if it does...i will change the 3 original rubber hose which come from gas tank (these did not come with new canister and may be clogged/ dirty)
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby ozone » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:22 pm

This repair should not be $1k. I paid something like $275.00 for my wife's charcoal canister at the stealership. I removed the muffler to replace hers. But there is a sequence in the books to check out that code. You should follow it. The procedure is on my website: www.ozone1000.com. From the home page, click on the Solara and look around. It's not hard to find. If you can't find it, follow it or whatever, just email me at ozone@cfl.rr.com and I will try to help.

The first thing you should do is replace the gas cap. It probably won't fix the problem, but if it does, it is simple and cheap.

Good luck.
World's first V6 powered AE92. . . in progress.
ozone
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby solara90 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:28 pm

totally off topic but one of my instructors had a video of a guy throwing a charcoal canister into a fire, lets jsut say they are pretty much a bomb with all them gas vaoprs asorbed inside that charcoal
02 solara 2az

solara90
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby 02slera » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:02 am

^^ well not totally off topic.
any pyro's on here have to change out their charcoal canister we know what will be happening to it!
2002 Solara SLE v6
02slera
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby highmileage02sleConv » Sat May 21, 2011 10:28 am

As per my recent post my me and my dad are preparing the car for my move down to TN, my mechanic is putting a new charcoal canister in on Monday and were going to take it from there to see if that solves the issues.....cross your fingers lol!
highmileage02sleConv
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am

What was the end result of all this. Same problem and I would love to know the outcome!
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby kenny6683 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:24 pm

new canister fixed my issue. reason i came up with another code was because i had the incorrect canister at first. 99 canister is NOT the same as the other years.

Dont even bother to try to use the incorrect canister. it will not work as lines and valves are different

1999 Canister Part number 77740-06093 (worked for me)
2003-2004 Canister. Part no: 77740-06170 (first one i ordered which was wrong)
kenny6683
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:48 pm

kenny6683 wrote:new canister fixed my issue. reason i came up with another code was because i had the incorrect canister at first. 99 canister is NOT the same as the other years.

Dont even bother to try to use the incorrect canister. it will not work as lines and valves are different

good to know, i just got a reject sticker on mine. i throw a code when i pull hard in 3rd gear. i picked up a used evap can at a junk yard. it was cheap so i dont really care if it works or not, i will test it before hand. thanks for the response!!!! i
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby aleki2424 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:52 am

sliDingSolAra... wrote:
kenny6683 wrote:new canister fixed my issue. reason i came up with another code was because i had the incorrect canister at first. 99 canister is NOT the same as the other years.

good to know, i just got a reject sticker on mine. i throw a code when i pull hard in 3rd gear. i picked up a used evap can at a junk yard. it was cheap so i dont really care if it works or not, i will test it before hand. thanks for the response!!!! i

Not really happy to bump this, but did the used can work for you? What yard did you use, if you don't mind me asking? My local yards are pretty much pos's and I would like to try this fix on a cheap can before pouring in a bunch of $$$ into a brand new one.
aleki2424
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:50 am

Honestly I haven't even tried to replace it yet. I been think ing about it and It might b the evap valve ontop of the engine next to the intake. Still not sure though. I just don't want to replace the can and find out its not the problem.
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Next

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5