[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Upgrade advice!
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

Upgrade advice!

Upgrade advice!

Postby Kalmado » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 pm

I've got around $400 to spend on my 02 Diamond White Pearl Vle and am looking for some suggestions on how to get the most use of that $400 on appearance items. So far I've only decided on a few things that I definitely want done.

reverse glow gauge - $10
tint (1/4 glass & rear windshield) - $150

Right before the motor blew I bought 4 firestone affinity touring 16's so I can't really justify getting low profile tires this summer. This leads me to sort of not want to get wheels yet because I don't know if I want 16" wheels. And speaking of wheels, I can't seem to make up my mind anyways. I'd like to keep them under or around $500, yet everything pictured in the wheels thread for gen 1.5 seems to be pricey!

I don't do my own mechanical work and at the moment am not interested in trying to make my solara fast. It's an automatic anyways :( lol. What do you guys think I should start with?!

edit: Forgot to mention, everything is stock currently. I'd also like to get a different grill, but have no clue how much they cost or where the best place to get them is. Help a guy out!
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Upgrade advice!

Postby SolaraPete » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Get some lowering springs for sure! Not only do lowered Solara's look sick - you also get to enjoy the better handling/cornering.
'99 S/C'd 5spd: 6psi-KYB/Intrax-Kaminari-Renova- 2.5in w/TRD muffler-full Injen CAI w/crisp-mongo filter-Walbro 190-305cc-Jim's fuel-torque rod-8mm Magnecore-EGR delete-ACT 6-puck-AEM wideband-SAFC2-Supra/ES300 F+R brake conversion
SolaraPete
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby SteveSolara » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:37 pm

Lower, Lip Kit, Custom Grill, Blacked out Headlight housing, HIDs, Plasti Dip the Crap out of the car *Rims*, There are plenty of things you can do, Check out the DIY thread. ( viewforum.php?f=56 )
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kalmado » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm not familiar with Plasti Dip. Can I get some information on that? And lowering doesn't seem too expensive. I may do that right away!
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Plasti Dip is a spray on Rubber coating that comes in a variety of colors. The best part about it is if you dont like it you can just simply peel it off. You can get them at Home Depot or walmart

Examples of plasti dip

There is Flat Black Plasti Dip I used it on my Rims, emblems, Grill, interior parts, anything you want to plasti dip

Plasti Dip or paint the Headlight Housing

Black out the Emblems

Black out the inter wood trims

There are endless ideas to use plasti dip, Just got to be creative and you'll like it

As for lowering the car You can just get TEIN Lowering Springs and lower the car on Stock Struts ( not recommended ) But if your on a budget this will do for awhile, its lowers the car about 2 inches once its settled in. I had TEIN on stock struts for about 4 months and it is still riding smooth
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kalmado » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:43 am

Wow I'm definitely going to do that to my wheels and grille for a quick fix/change for appearance! I'll save my bucks for next summer to get 18" wheel/tire combo. Also, regarding lowering, I'm very hesitant to do that as I live in Michigan and my city has tons of garbage roads. This is my daily driver and after dropping roughly $4k in mechanical work, I'll be bummed if I were to screw up the appearance(underneath) from lowering it and scraping. With that being said, would a lip kit look retarded w/out the car being lowered?!
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Kalmado » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:22 am

Just noticed these wheels on my local craigslist this morning. XXR 520's for $250 obo. Only thing I'm not liking is the red stripe. I'd rather paint it white if that's possible. Opinions?!

http://jxn.craigslist.org/pts/3129415984.html

edit: bleh, I think the bolt pattern is 5x100.
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby red2ksolara » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:04 am

Remove the splash gaurds and emblems. Makes a bigger impact than you would think. Plus its free and easy
red2ksolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Bostonlara » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 am

red2ksolara wrote:Remove the splash gaurds and emblems. Makes a bigger impact than you would think. Plus its free and easy

i kinda like the splash guards on mine :D i obv dont have a lip kit though

ive been searching around too for things to do to mine, are the reverse glows still available or is it hit or miss on the for sale page?
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Brandoe91 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Some things I recommended:
Trd or whiteline rsb + Tein Lowering springs (these will greatly improve handling and look of the car).
Tint fogs yellow and install some 55w HIDS. ( headlight and fogs)
Install some bright white LEDs for the interior and Reverse lights.
Paint the inside of headlights black like Steve said.
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kalmado » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:22 pm

I was thinking of ordering some smoked fog lamp housing found here, but I think it would be a pain to instal the wiring to the inside of the car.

I'm considering de-badging as well. Thinking about it more and more, I don't think I can afford lowering+struts this summer. If I do that, I also would like to have a winter beater so I don't have to drive a lowered car in the snow. I'll look into the HIDS for sure.
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:55 pm

It doesnt lower the car that much that you scrape everywhere. I usually dont scrape much except my drive way cause its a big ass hump LOL. I live near Philly, PA and there is a Crap load of Pot holes and bad roads and i still drive through them fine just cutting it more close, but never rubbed or maxed out the suspension.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kalmado » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:05 am

Sorry guys to bump about a wheel question,but I'm just not sure off set. I'm going to give my local Firestone guy a call tomorrow as their closed on Sundays, but I wanted to get an extra opinion. Please check the link provided and tell me what you guys think! Price seems right and I love the look of these Racing Hart wheels. Should they work for my car?

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/pts/3085471465.html
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby SteveSolara » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 am

Zero: The hub mounting surface is even with the center line of the rim.
Positive: The hub mounting surface is more towards the front and generally the style wheel used with FWD vehicles.
Negative: The hub mounting surface is toward the back side of the wheel’s center line.
Image Image
SteveSolara
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Kalmado » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 am

SteveSolara wrote:Image

Zero: The hub mounting surface is even with the center line of the rim.
Positive: The hub mounting surface is more towards the front and generally the style wheel used with FWD vehicles.
Negative: The hub mounting surface is toward the back side of the wheel’s center line.

I appreciate the post, but I have to be honest and say reading that is like reading chinese to me. I have no idea what any of that means :(
Kalmado
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5