[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - want to upgrade to a 3MZ?
Talk about aftermarket Toyota Solara Gen 1-1.5 upgrades.

want to upgrade to a 3MZ?

want to upgrade to a 3MZ?

Postby Smaay » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:37 pm

most of you probably dont know but my 1MZ/3MZ hybrid engine started knocking. which sucks because i built this engine fresh. anyways i had a full 3MZ on the shelf as a backup so i swapped it out.

here are the few issues I ran into.

you need to use the 1MZ water neck because it has the sensor for water temp to your gauges

you will notice i modified my rails to be a return system. you dont have to do this. just use the pink injectors that come with your swap engine.

you have to remove the newer style knock sensors and use your older style. here are the studs from the new sensors. take them out and then put in your older style sensors.

ok first big issues is this water port that sends water to the throttle body. it hits the OCV for VVT in the rear head. since im not using those, i just pulled out the tubes and tapped the hole and plugged it.

Here is the lower manifold attached to the 3MZ

i also had to remove the water nipples on the bottom of the throttle body. again im not using the water ports so no problem. I just put a cap on the rear port for the water return. if i ever have to pull this engine out, ill tap that hole too and plug it. I tapped them with 1/8 NPT so if you must have them you can easily find brass fittings much smaller and just make your own water ports.

the 3MZ has cam position sensors on both heads, im only using the one on the front head. I didnt have to make any changes to the harness.

you will have to do something about the EGR tube. there is no EGR on the 3MZ so no cooler. I just fabbed up the tube as one long single pipe.

this is what you will get as results hooked up the the 5 speed E153 trans

this is all i can think of right now. if this is old news then sorry for double posting. I have seen 3MZ engines on car-part.com for less than 1000 bucks. not a bad mod for 1G and have 241 TQ huh?
1990 Celica All-Trac 3S-GTE
1997 Celica GT 1MZ/3MZ hybrid
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE
1998 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: want to upgrade to a 3MZ?

Postby ToyoSolV6 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Good write up smaay! I have those rods if ur still interested I can go out there next weekend
One of the few Built Forged Supercharged solaras in so cal
335whp x 344tq.
ToyoSolV6
Solaraguy's dopest driver
Solaraguy's dopest driver

Postby PlateLunch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:45 pm

SICK!!! To disable the vvt stuff, is all you have to do is plug all the water outlet/inlets up? This is why I love you guys :D
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:13 pm

no he water lines have nothing to do with the VVT. its disabled because there is no ECU control going to it. the cams default into a full retard position and are locked unless they get the oil pressure.

now on a sidebar, if you have a VVT 1MZ then you are in big luck. just swap the engines and still use your intake manifold and dual throttle body. you will have the VVT support and most likely make more power than I did.
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Brandoe91 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:32 pm

Thanks again for all the info and nice write up.
TRD S/C 6psi - OBX Full Exhaust - Injen intake ( 226whp untuned).

New Setup - 3mzfe - obx full exhaust - aem fic - innovate mtx-l wideband - Cpe intake. (Estimated 220whp) dyno numbers coming soon.
Brandoe91
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Oteck » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm

i should get mine on the dyno one of these days to find these gains but im not expecting much, maybe 235ish
Oteck
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Bostonlara » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:54 pm

Smaay wrote:no he water lines have nothing to do with the VVT. its disabled because there is no ECU control going to it. the cams default into a full retard position and are locked unless they get the oil pressure.

So there's no need to block off oil passages???? Everything else on the engine bolts right up?, mounts and all?

Old thread but have to ask
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 pm

thats correct. you dont have to block off any oil passages. Im using a complete 3MZ, heads and all. another option is if you want to use the 3MZ intake manifold just have an adapter plate made so you can mount up the 1MZ throttle body. car is still running strong.
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby SirThomas88 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:00 am

Very nice write up thanks for sharing!
14.11s 101mph quarter mile. 5 Speed v6 Supercharged @ 5.5psi
SirThomas88
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Bostonlara » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 am

I have a s/c so ill use the 1mz lower manifold
THANKS Smaay!!
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:38 pm

if you have a SC, just use that setup.
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:33 pm

smaay, i see you used the black plastic lower radiator tube. the 1mz equivalent is aluminum and has a sensor mounted to it. not sure if you're aware but i just bought a 3mz long block and plan to do what you did. i tried mounting the 1mz radiator tube to the 3mz, no go. the attachment to the front head is in a slightly different location and what i think is a temp sensor hit the head as well.

my question is: did you plug that sensor hole and just not hook up the connect on the harness or did you manage to fab something up?
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 am

you are correct. there is a water temp sensor there that will not fit under the VVT head. im getting my water temps from the filler neck on the other side of the block. now something that just happened, that black plastic pipe actually cracked on me right at that mounting tab. i went to a junkyard and found a VVT 1MZ pipe and its just like the pipe you have but a little bit longer and that sensor is actually on the side.
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Smaay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 pm

here is the pipe on the non VVT 1MZ

on the VVT 1MZ that water sensor is moved to the flat face looking directly at you here.does that make sense?
1997 Supra 2JZ-GTE
2001 Celica GT-S 2ZZ-GTE

Thats alot of BOOST!!!!
Smaay
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby DSM_Lara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Makes me think if its possible to put a 5 speed E153 trans in a 2Gen.
1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 (TRD Edition) Rare Greddy EvoII/CP-E Intake/Renova Grill/Black Housing Front/OEM Hood Deflector :kp: :spam3: :spam1:Musubi
DSM_Lara
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Next

Return to Aftermarket Gen1 and 1.5