[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - P0420
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

P0420

P0420

Postby Billdo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Searched around, mostly dead end threads with no follow up. Long story short, 2002, 2.4, 140k mileage. Cruising up the parkway this morning and the CEL comes on. Went to Autozone after work and tbey scanned it with a P0420 code. Looking for possible fixes and or possible parts needed. From what Ive read it could be a bad catalytic. Converter or front O2 sensor. Thoughts?
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: P0420

Postby PlateLunch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 pm

P0420 – Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (4-Cylinder engine)
· Three-way catalytic converter malfunction
· Open or short in heated oxygen sensor circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)
· Heated oxygen sensor malfunction (bank 1, sensor 2)
· Open or short in heated oxygen sensor circuit (bank 1, sensor 1) or A/F sensor 2 circuit

Hopefully it's an easy fix!
PlateLunch
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

So what does that mean lol, that looks like the printout Autozone gave me. It even said on the slip that its most likely a leak before the cat.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby sliDingSolAra... » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm

it means that one of your oxygen sensors are detecting to much fuel or air going through the cat. could mean your cat is bad, or if its the upstream sensor your car could be running rich or lean. best thing to do is bring it to shop and let them look at the freeze frame data. that will tell them exactly what was going on when the CEL went on.

most people think that changing the sensor will solve the problem, but its usually a waste of money. if it is the front O2 sensor then the cat probably isnt the problem because its upstream from it and reading the exhaust coming directly from the engine.

bottom line is go to a shop and get some diagnostic work done. that should't cost you more than $60, hell some places will do diag work for free. hope this helps a little.
02 5spd Engine scattered, working on a 3MZ S/C set-up
sliDingSolAra...
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby JackWaggon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Since we are on the subject, I have a 2001 2.2L and recently had the catalytic converter replaced. Shortly after installation my CEL came on and the code that was spit out was the P0420. Does anyone know why/ or what caused this? Thanks.
JackWaggon
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Billdo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 am

Apparently I didn't double check the gas cap like I always do. CEL came on Tuesday, refilled Friday afternoon, drove the 50 mile round trip to work with it on. Parked overnight, went for a 25 mile drive Saturday, CEL went off that night. Hasn't come back on.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Bostonlara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:02 am

Lol
building a 5.5psi S/C 3MZ 5spd with Meth, 305cc injectors, lite weight crank pulley, Apexi Neo, full exhaust & ypipe, CAI, TB spacer, knock upgrade, jims fuel upgrade, walbro 255, and much much much much more
Bostonlara
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 am

I always double check, I live in Jersey so I dont pump my own gas and if I run into the store or something I don't know if the attendants clicked it enough. They apparently didnt. Oh well.
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Billdo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:44 pm

And two weeks later its back on...
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby zeiset777 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:32 am

Regardless of what everyone says, theres a good chance it's the o2 sensor. Just be sure when it is changed, have your mechanic reset the computer. A few of the guys at Advance Auto here where I live do it because I've been in there a ton of times. At 221+K miles, I've replaced 2 in my wifes Solara, and after both changes the CEL light would stay on until the computer was reset. My wife drives 60 miles round trip to work and back so it's not always a matter of driving it a few miles to get the light to go off. I did replace the CC one time but it was because I needed a new flex joint pipe and it all comes as one piece. That wasn't a CEL issue though.
zeiset777
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Billdo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:47 am

It went back off later that night. How difficult is it to replace the 02 sensors on a 4cyl 2002? whats the cost?
Billdo
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Kenz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 pm

My 03 did the same thing a few years back with the PO420 code. I replaced both 02 sensors (cost like 150$ for both of them ?) and the problem still wouldn't go away. Ended up being the catalytic converter which is part of the exhaust manifolds needed replacing.

I guess its less expensive to start by replacing the sensors, but be prepared for having to replace the cat.

edit... after i replaced the o2 sensors, I would reset the codes and it would not show the code of anywhere from a few days to weeks of normal driving. in the end I did an anti foul mod, and the prob is gone now.

I have read the the 2az has issues with the ecu throwing a code for bad cat way too easily. I think its a service recall for some models?

Its been a few years but thats the best I remember. Hope that helps!
- Mack
Silver `03 i4 5 Speed
Dropped w/ Tein & KYB
OBX Cat Back
Kenz
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5