[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - New car or new parts?
All about aftermarket Toyota Solara upgrades

New car or new parts?

New car or new parts?

Postby GregSolara » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 am

Please read the following in a Jeremy Clarkson voice-
I recently went on a 3 hour drive in my 2001 Solara V6 SLE and I think I am realizing how bad of a car it is. Now don't get me wrong. I like my Solara, but I recently drove a 98 BMW and a 04 Jaguar x-type and those cars had so much better steering feel and response and they had a lot more low end torque. I honestly don't care about the badge or status, but you can't get away from the fact that BMW and Jaguar make quality drivers cars. Toyota can make sports cars too like the recent LFA and the MR2 and lets not forget the Supra or even the amazing 86 aka FR-S. So, lets get to what I don't like about the Solara. The steering is too "light" I can turn the wheel with my index finger, the steering is less responsive than a drunk homeless guy. The engine's power band is about from 3200 to 6000 RPM so there is hardly any low end torque. The ride is terrible. It's so soft that I'm constantly thinking the car is going to float away. At the same time, when I run over a railroad crossing or hit a pothole, the car bounces pretty badly. I could go on for hours nitpicking at all the things I don't like about the car. I'm even getting tired of the styling. I don't think it would be so bad if the headlights weren't as weirdly shaped. And the fog lights...why couldn't they have been circle instead of a wedge shape. But you didn't come here to hear me complain about the car, you came here to answer my question, and here it is.

Should I spend more money buying a new steering rack, coilovers, mods for a little bit more horsepower, a new exhaust system, and other suspension parts to make the suspension stuffer? Or....should I save my money for 1 or 2 years so I can buy a used BMW or any other car? I mean I don't know if spending all that money on aftermarket parts is worth it or if I should use the money for parts to buy a "new" used car. Please give me some advice and thank you so much!
GregSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: New car or new parts?

Postby DriDed » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:56 am

Get another car and get rid of the Solara, it really isn't worth it to put thousands on a grocery getter whose performance level will never come close to real performance cars (stock vs stock and modified vs modified).
2004 Toyota Solara SE (2az-fe) automatic
+TRD front strut brace
+TRD rear sway bar
+Injen Short ram intake
+Pioneer DEH 2200 UB headunit
DriDed
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby GregSolara » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks DriDed for your honest input. Any other answers are appreciated as well
GregSolara
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby 1gSE » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:09 pm

The Solara isn't exactly a sports car and was never meant to be. Just put enough in it to maintain it, enjoy it for what it is or move onto another platform. Ultimately the decision depends on what you want and what you can afford
GTO-Vararam/Kooks/Spintech/MGW-P/Tune-12.9 @108
Solara-M62 @ 5.5psi
1gSE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby jimmm » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:37 pm

A 12 or 13 year old car is a 12 or 13 year old car. There are plenty of good reasons why new cars are made every year regardless of what make and model they are. Of course, some makes and models really are better and do last longer than others, and some are taken care of by their owners better than others. However, in the end.......all things.....well, you know the drill. When the time to change comes, it seems to me that the choice is mine and mine alone. Good Luck with your decision.
2004 SLE V6 3.3 Desert Sand Mica
jimmm
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby corlon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:23 pm

I hate the steering feel of our cars as well. sounds like you need / want a more driver enthusiastic fixed-head coupe or soloon.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Solorange » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:01 am

Buy a different car that will meet your needs if the Solara isn't cutting it. I use my Solara as daily driver and my Jeep is my toy.
1999 Toyota Solara SEV6 5speed
2009 Toyota Highlander Sport
2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Solorange
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Return to Aftermarket Upgrades