[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Wont start when cold - video included
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Wont start when cold - video included

Wont start when cold - video included

Postby Gooseguy84 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 pm

1999 Solara. Approx 180K miles...just replaced ignition lock although I dont think that has anything to do with it but could be wrong.

When the engine is cold, first start of the day (even when it's decent temp outside, 50's) I'm having a harder and harder time getting the car to start. As you can see in the video, turn the key and you get one CLICK then nothing. If you hold the key "on" after the first CLICK it does not continue to go "click click click" or anything. Have to try maybe 10-20 times for it to start. Sometimes I get an almost start and then it does not start.

If I drive it for a few min and let the engine warm up it will start right up every time no problem......

Also the check engine light is one - CODE P0125

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch in advance!

Link if video dose not work http://youtu.be/NvQsU2wqL0c

1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Re: Wont start when cold - video included

Postby GzNutz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 am

How old is your Lara's battery? This may be the starting culprit. The code being thrown may be unrelated to the trouble starting.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby GzNutz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:40 am

Also, is your car stored in a garage? And if not just how cold is it by you?
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby Gooseguy84 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:41 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Battery is about 3-4 years old. That was a thought, but when I assumed they were either dead or not dead...(have had a dead battery before). Changed out the ECT sensor last night after doing some research on possible causes. Havet tried t start it yet this morning but will update the post.

It has been pretty cool. Mid 10-20 def F out recently, no garage, but did leave it overnight inside where it was about 50-60 deg the other day and had the same problem starting it even when left inside.
1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby Gooseguy84 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:18 am

Battery is from 08/08...about just over 5 years old.... I think its time for a new one
1999 Two-Tone Solara
Gooseguy84
Just Licensed SolaraGuy

Postby GzNutz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm

If its not your battery other possible issues could be ignition or starter.
GzNutz
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby wagonsrule » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 am

Had the same thing happened to me in 2 occasions.. bad battery connections and bad starter solenoid. Both would show the same symptoms. If your clock disappears or dips when turning the starter it could be bad battery connections OR the cable to the starter from the battery.
----------------------
94 Camry V6 Wagon SUPERCHARGED @ 5 psi!!!! One of a KIND! (6-7psi coming up)
SAFC
75 cu ft. of storage space :D
wagonsrule
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5