[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Lexus ES300 Instrument Cluster
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Lexus ES300 Instrument Cluster

Lexus ES300 Instrument Cluster

Postby made in china » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if this is "stock", but since it is a Toyota part, I'll post it here.

I was investigating if it is possible to swap a ES300 gauge cluster into a Solara. I have found that they are physically the same, however I need a little more info, I can't find either car's wiring diagrams online...does anyone know where I can access ES300 and Camry Solara wiring digrams online??

I know there are several key differences between the Camry Solara and ES300 clusters, but I have a strong hunch that they are easily interchangeable.
Gettin' pirate eyed.......

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby Nyyankees3511 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:22 pm

I dont think they are interchangeable but good luck and let us know.
1999 SLE Red metallic/black interior
TRD RSB, Jim's Torque rod, K&N, Interior leds
Nyyankees3511
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby Jon11582 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:32 pm

Physically the same? arent the gas and temp on opposite sides on the ES?
2000 Black Solara SE
Jon11582
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby made in china » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:48 pm

I mean that the ES300 has the same shape, mounting locations and type of connectors. I checked by browsing eBay listings. The clusters are virtually physically identical, and it is very obvious that they will bolt up into either car.

However, I'm no fool, I'm not going to buy a >$150 cluster and just go and plug it into my car without verifying with the schematics if the wiring is the same, or if I need to modify it alot or a little. Heck, I don't mind having to re-wire the whole thing, the fact that the ES300 will bolt into our cars is enough for me. I just need to compare the schematics to be sure of what I'll need, like maybe I can ask for the wire harness stubs from a ES300. It's possible that Toyota puts signals on different pins or slightly different connectors between the 2 cars, but they most likely use the same colors at least for the wire codes.

My only concerns are that I have a MT, all ES300 I've seen of 97-01 are AT, so I'd need to black out the AT indicator...and my car has that little "SECURITY" LED. Not sure, but it doesn't really matter if that light goes or stays.

Yah, I know the gauge layout is different. But, like I said, the fact that it bolts in at least intrigues me.

remember, these gauges are blackout LED needle style, so they would look awesome in a Solara. I've seen the other gauge projects on here, and to be honest, the stock Solara gauges just don't "spruce up" or bling out they way I would like.

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby made in china » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:51 pm

Oh yeah, another thing....the ES gauges in the Solara would set it off. The Solara interior is fairly luxurious with that band of wood across the dash and into the doors. So, it would really look good IMO in our cars. Too bad the SE Solara has manual AC controls, I really like the MT, but I miss how my last car had every bell and whistle....including LED/Electroluminescent gauges. At least I'll be getting closer if I can get the ES cluster into my car....

2002 BSP SE V6 5 Speed
TRD RSB
5000K HID Headlights
3000K HID Foglights
Gen 1.0 Tails
Optitron Lexus Cluster
made in china
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby pythonjosh » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:15 pm

I have thought about swapping these gauges too. It 'looks' like it would fit. I 'might' be able to get my hands on some ES gauges, but not for keeps, a friend's car. Wonder if it uses all the same wires.....
Brilliant Silver 03 Nissan G35 6MT

In the struggle for justice, I is prepared to lay my life on the line. Just like Martin Luther Vandross did.
pythonjosh
SolaraGuy Street Racer
SolaraGuy Street Racer

Postby NeFaRiOuS_SLE » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:06 am

Yeah... If only they made the SLE in manual (electronic single-zone climate control though). Wonder if the wiring IS all the same though; the Chilton's manual shows it together with the Solara, Camry and Avalon though (but then again there are many other points that aren't the same either)
NeFaRiOuS_SLE
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer
SolaraGuy Semi-Pro Racer

Postby SleeperSolara » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:24 am

Man i don't think it would work.....
But good luck man.
2000 Solara SE auto V6. Diamond White Pearl.
Top Speed Run finished at 130 mph. :o
Too many modifcations for the signature.
SleeperSolara
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer
SolaraGuy Hall of Famer

Re: Lexus ES300 Instrument Cluster

Postby mettler » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:58 am

I plan to do this as soon as I can find the es300 cluster. I don't think getting the dimmer switch to operate will be too difficult either - its just a matter of passing the correct current thru the rheostat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK-M9fvSGb0
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ice-Dragon-Cooling/139536759426738
mettler
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby dinoxor » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Holy thread revival!
Just so you know this thread is about 10 years old.
But I think somone, either here or in toyota nation, was able to swap it successfully.
dinoxor
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mettler » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:25 am

heck yeah.. this is a great mod. And, toyota nation does have a nice write up. I am going to tackle it, hopefully, this weekend. I've been trying to find a wiring diagram of the rheostat in the Lexus. I am not a big fan of bright gauge clusters at night. I got two clusters from the local junkyard for $40 total. I also have a friend that is quite familiar with electrical connectors looking for some that match the toyota/lexus so I don't have to splice the wires or repin the connectors and just have to make a wiring harness.
mettler
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby corlon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:46 am

I could probably get you diagrams of both, but not tell this weekend or so.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mettler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:16 am

yay.. I did this yesterday. It looks impressive. It took a few hours, and then a bit of re-doing to make sure everything worked. A couple of tricks I did that help out a lot.

On toyotanation you can print out all the wiring diagrams. Those are quite helpful.
When you get a dash from a Lexus get as much wire as you can - I clipped all the way after the tape that holds all the wires together.
Label the Lexus wires
One thing I did to make the wiring easier was take the Solara diagram with the connectors and label which wires from the Lexus go where. I just put a 1C etc below the Solara connector location. This made it really easy when I was in the car plugging in the Lexus wires to the Solara connector. I could just look at the Solara connector diagram and go thru it.
I exposed about a half inch of wire bent it backward into a V and then pushed it into the back of the connector. You have to be careful to make sure the Lexus wire touches the Solara wire.
You will have to extend wires, but you won't know which ones until you try to plug everything back together.
Make sure everything works before you screw it all back together, I had to take mine out to replace the D bulb. Check your blinkers - mine didn't work first time.
I did NOT re-pin everything. I used a hot glue gun and put a good bead down on the Solara connectors where I had pushed all the wires in. That worked well, and let me keep the Solara connectors.
mettler
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Postby corlon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 pm

is everything fully functional? the dimmer works properly etc? I wanna do this. pics of course please.
NiCe
corlon
SolaraGuy Driver
SolaraGuy Driver

Postby mettler » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Yes, everything works. I was able to get the dimmer to work too, but it only works partially. It won't dim all the way to total darkness, but it does make it dim enough so your driver's seat isn't illuminated. I have an extra cluster if you are interested. I plugged it in and everything lit up.

this pics are of the one in my car now. One while driving to work, and one while idling after arriving at work

mettler
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5