[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Moscow' for 'MSK/3.0/no DST' instead
SolaraGuy.com • View topic - Automatic (digital) A/C issue
Stock talk about the Generation 1 and 1.5 Toyota Solara which were produced from 1999 to 2003.

Automatic (digital) A/C issue

Automatic (digital) A/C issue

Postby crankine3 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:58 am

I have a 2001 SLE with an automatic air conditioner / HVAC control unit. Up until this weekend, my car sat unused for about 3 weeks. Before that, everything was fine. Now, I have this issue where the A/C doesn't blow cold unless I set the digital dial to read "COLD". Even at the lowest number before "COLD", the air is just ambient temperature. At "COLD" it is decent (not as cold as it has always been, but it is hot outside at the moment). At the same time after this 3 week no-run, I smelled a bit of rubber and I think the serp belt might have cracked a bit, though it is only 10K miles and less than 2 years, and there is no squeal from the belt. I took the console control unit out of the car, both to see if there was any obvious issue, and to take a look at the lights for a future color light swap. I saw nothing obvious. All buttons appear to be working just fine on the control unit. I had a spare self serve spray bottle of modern r134a "freon", and it seems like there was and still is plenty of "freon" in the line.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there some internal car temperature sensor that might be busted or unplugged? When I have a bit of free time I will swap out the serp belt anyway, but I don't think that is the problem. I am hoping for something other than "swap the control unit", though that is probably cheaper than valves or other controls.

Related ... anyone have an auto control unit I can borrow with a deposit?
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Automatic (digital) A/C issue

Postby crankine3 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:04 am

I've dug up what looks like to be a temperature sensor inside the dash behind the center console, part 88625Q Image http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=503448&ukey_make=1060&ukey_model=15449

I'll dig out the service manual and see what the voltages and what not are supposed to be on this sensor, and see if that is the issue.
crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Re: Automatic (digital) A/C issue

Postby crankine3 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:19 am

So, I kinda answered my own question. The 3 week delay was due to me taking the steering wheel and shroud off to restich it. In the process I must have gotten to aggressive and pulled the 2 wire plug out of the sensor, and pulled the sensor off of it's mounting spot. I found the sensor hanging loose, kind of behind the ignition. I plugged it back in and everything works now.

crankine3
Regular SolaraGuy Member
Regular SolaraGuy Member

Return to Stock Gen 1 and 1.5